Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old July 3rd, 2010, 02:51 PM
Doggie Wench

Grieving woman doesn't blame driver who stopped for ducks

If you're going to stop for wildlife, or any animal, please, please exercise extreme caution. For your own safety and that of others.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/enter...738/story.html

Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't want to sound harsh, it is a terrible accident that happened, however why is the person who stopped being blamed in the article? My thinking is that the people were driving to close and didn't have time to stop in time. If they were driving not to close, they would have had time stop. I mean this is usaually why people are rear ended on the road...people driving to close behind.

Last edited by NoahGrey; July 3rd, 2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
I don't want to sound harsh, it is a terrible accident that happened, however why is the person who stopped being blamed in the article? My thinking is that the people were driving to close and didn't have time to stop in time. If they were driving not to close, they would have had time stop. I mean this is usaually why people are reared on the road...people driving to close behind.
Exactly what I was thinking when I first heard about this story. If you are on a motorcycle, then you must be extra vigilant and really not tailgate.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, but having ridden a bike I think even with a decent gap behind the vehicle in front, it is harder to pull up if someone jams brakes on in front of you than if you were in a car, held by a seat belt. Had a similar sort of thing happen, accelerated behind a car to cross a major road, 4 lanes, then with no indicators on the driver slowed suddenly to turn into a house. Nowhere to go, no time to stop. Fortunately not going at the speed those people probably were.
Tragic for the young girl that something so good should turn into something so bad. And you can't put an old head on young shoulders. An older driver may have checked that there was nothing close behind, or might have gone off onto the side of the road rather than coming to a dead halt on the highway. If that law was in place here I think a charge of culpable driving involving death would be laid. So sad for everyone, you could say both women's lives ruined in a split second.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:41 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
I don't want to sound harsh, it is a terrible accident that happened, however why is the person who stopped being blamed in the article? My thinking is that the people were driving to close and didn't have time to stop in time. If they were driving not to close, they would have had time stop. I mean this is usaually why people are rear ended on the road...people driving to close behind.
Coming to a complete stop on a highway is illegal in Quebec. The investigation found that there was no tailgating nor speeding...a young inexperienced driver went from 100km+ to a sudden and complete stop on a major highway.

This tragic story isn't about placing blame. It's about being careful, a lesson if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Tragic for the young girl that something so good should turn into something so bad. And you can't put an old head on young shoulders. An older driver may have checked that there was nothing close behind, or might have gone off onto the side of the road rather than coming to a dead halt on the highway...So sad for everyone, you could say both women's lives ruined in a split second.
Very thoughtfully written. My heart goes out to both of them and to the people who witnessed the accident and the aftermath .
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

What a sad story, but also shows that "humanity" is still alive. One for the girl who stopped to save an animal, and two for the mother/wife, who believes the girl should not be charged.

So if you can't come to a halt on Quebec highway, then what would happen if it were a deer or moose? If you don't stop you could die?
Or is there an actual size of animal that you can stop for?

RIP to father and daughter.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Coming to a complete stop on a highway is illegal in Quebec. The investigation found that there was no tailgating nor speeding...a young inexperienced driver went from 100km+ to a sudden and complete stop on a major highway.

Then to me it is tailgating. If you can't come to a stop safely should the person in front of you slam on their brakes, then you are too close, period. If the driver of the motorcycle was indeed driving at a safe distance, was he not paying attention to the road or temporarily distracted?

Like happycats stated, what if it was a moose??? Or a human??? Or your brakes or your transmission seize??? Or a large piece of garbage a tire??? It would be interesting to find out what happens, because I think any good lawyer will be able to fight this charge. Many people are killed from hitting wildlife on the road.

Hmmmmm, wonder if they charged the driver who slammed into the 6 cyclists, killing three of them.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey

Last edited by Love4himies; July 7th, 2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: added: "not" paying attention to
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Senior Contributor

you have no choice at times but to hit the animal....we had a bike here that had hit a moose, both lived..moose and driver. I'm sorry, a choice between hitting a duck (s) or causing an accident.....well..I'd have tried to swerve but if given no choice.....its happened to me before R.I.P skunk.
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
you have no choice at times but to hit the animal....we had a bike here that had hit a moose, both lived..moose and driver. I'm sorry, a choice between hitting a duck (s) or causing an accident.....well..I'd have tried to swerve but if given no choice.....its happened to me before R.I.P skunk.
Well that was one lucky motorcyclist, there was a guardian angel on his/her shoulders that day.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 7th, 2010, 10:32 AM
Senior Contributor

love4himies, it happened in Alfred and it was a crotchrocket, you know the racing bikes? ( we bought it afterwards and repaired it), so he was down low and as he said, he was crouched low, it was a full sized moose and if it wouldn't have stepped forward he would have cleared the belly, but the hind leg of the moose caught the farring of the bike and whipped him around, moose limped off and bike was tossed down the road which did most of the damage.
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
love4himies, it happened in Alfred and it was a crotchrocket, you know the racing bikes? ( we bought it afterwards and repaired it), so he was down low and as he said, he was crouched low, it was a full sized moose and if it wouldn't have stepped forward he would have cleared the belly, but the hind leg of the moose caught the farring of the bike and whipped him around, moose limped off and bike was tossed down the road which did most of the damage.
He must have had his chaps on. Yes, I know crotchrockets , that would be the kind of bike I would never allow my hubby to buy, he has no fear . Sounds like he had nerves of steel , I would have panicked .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 7th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

just a young guy, full matching leather race suit on...purple...*L* but what I'm saying is if you have to hit an animal....well sometimes it could save alife...kwim?
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Then to me it is tailgating. If you can't come to a stop safely should the person in front of you slam on their brakes, then you are too close, period. If the driver of the motorcycle was indeed driving at a safe distance, was he paying attention to the road or temporarily distracted?
I agree. and for luckpennys comment about coming to a complete stop at 100+...not possible. Yes, you can brake really hard, but u still won't come to a complete stop when you are going that fast. There would be still some distance between the time you break hard and then stop. Motercycle was driving to close behind.
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

And they could have been moving up, preparing to overtake when she stopped too. None of us can actually know though seeing we weren't there. I expect if they don't charge the young driver, you may be right though, NoahGrey.
Old July 9th, 2010, 09:58 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

for all involved father daughter

I'm pretty certain instinctively I would of slammed on my breaks as well, right or wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Tragic for the young girl that something so good should turn into something so bad. So sad for everyone, you could say both women's lives ruined in a split second.
Well said Goldfields
Old July 9th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

You should school yourself not to just slam brakes on though, GG, or at least not without taking a good look in your rear vision mirrors first. That young woman should have known the bikes were there, and just think , it may have been a big truck rather than bikes and we could be mourning her death instead.

Last edited by Goldfields; July 9th, 2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Can't spell tonight. LOL