Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old January 20th, 2011, 12:32 AM

Cat Question

My mother's boyfriend has cat, he let the cat (skipper-outside cat) out in the cold weather and in 10 inches of snow out and didn't come back for three days didn't even eat anything or sleep at all. On the 3rd day he came back frozen and frost bitten and now is unable to pee. He is in the animal hospital with a cathiter ( I think that is how u spell it) on his private part so that he can pee and empty his bladder. Dispite it he is a healthy cat. The doctor in the animal hospital to the owner that the poor sweet cat needs to be "put down" because he is unable to pee on his own is going to be given medication so that there will be bladder movement and be able to pee. Does the cat need to be "put to sleep" because of the bladder blockage because of being out in the cold weather for three days or given medication to be able to pee and empty his bladder. And what type of medication will this cat need to take?
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:08 AM
Senior Contributor

How absolutely horrible! This absolutely infuriates me to hear of such a preventable tragedy! I am speechless really.

I cannot comment on this as I do not know the extent of the damage done. One thing I can comment on however is that this IDIOT should never EVER be allowed the priveldge of having another pet.

My anger is not directed to you. And I am so sorry that you are even remotely somewhat related to this ignoramus.
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
How absolutely horrible! This absolutely infuriates me to hear of such a preventable tragedy! I am speechless really.

I cannot comment on this as I do not know the extent of the damage done. One thing I can comment on however is that this IDIOT should never EVER be allowed the priveldge of having another pet.

My anger is not directed to you. And I am so sorry that you are even remotely somewhat related to this ignoramus.
I have to agree with BenMax. No animal should be left outside in the freezing weather for even a short period let alone 3 days!
I think you care about this kitty very much and I thank you for that, but in the end I guess any decisions regarding the kitty's ultimate future will be up to his owner...who has IMO not shown too much concern to allow this to happen. I will give him credit for at least taking the kitty to a vet to assess the damage done so un-necessarily.
I wish you and the kitty the best.
Old January 20th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

It would depend on the damage that has been done to the bladder. If the bladder can be stretched to the point that it will not function and does need meds (sorry couldn't find what it is called).

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body..._blockage.html

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 14th, 2011, 04:17 AM
vet tech

It sounds like there is a blockage in the urethra that the doctor is not able to remove. Urethra blockage is a very very serious thing for male cats, and depending on how long he has had the condition, the longer it goes untreated, the more life threatening it can become. However, he may have already had the condition even before he went missing. No vet will put down an animal unless they deem it absolutely necessary, so I am assuming that they have exhausted all other options already. Did they take an xray to determine that he needed to be put down?
Old May 14th, 2011, 05:49 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

MelissaRenee - This thread is from Jan. Anything that may have been done for that cat has been done by now. The OP never came back.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!