Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 28th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have not experienced this, but I have only had one momma nursing kittens (foster, not mine). Also, I had Sweet Pea locked in her own bedroom so she couldn't wonder the house. She never asked to leave the room until the kittens were about 5 weeks old.

I know what I would do and that is to do what ever it takes to ensure momma is feeding them every couple of hours.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh I should add, Sweet Pea didn't always sleep with her kittens. She would sleep under the bed about 2 feet away from the kitten box.

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:43 AM

i've been trying to keep her with her babies like i had to do with natasha she would leave her in our room and come down here with me and i guess would forget she has a baby
i've tried locking her in the room but she sits by the door meowing a horrible sounding meow til i let her out or i sit in there so that's not even an chose at this point i dont even think she feeds them while she's up there.... this makes for a very hard time trying to get stuff done... but as long as i know she's taking care of them that's all that really matters
again though it concerns me a lil just for the fact that i think she might just be a lil too dependent on me
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Can you not bring the kittens downstairs to a more central area so you can keep an eye on things? If they are in a box with high enough sides, there shouldn't be a problem. This little girl sounds like a good candidate for spaying - she's just not into motherhood lol.
Time you posted some pictures!
On the page where you input your post, put in a few words (otherwise it will not work) then scroll down to 'manage attachments', browse for your picture (reduce the size with your software if it is too big - the system will only accept 100 whatevers), and upload it. Very easy.
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Badger: momma is getting spayed as soon as the kittens are weaned.

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 28th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I'm a softy

most mothers will stay with the kittens, especially the first few days only leaving for a quick snack and potty break. Your cat might be exahusted from raising babies though and need a break. as long as she is attentive, i.e. returning if she hears them dry, and the babies are sleeping quietly whlie she is gone, it should be ok. If the babies are noisy, crying, and restless that is a sign that they are not getting enough food. Your cat did not have time to dry up, so I wondering if she has been able to produce any colostrum? anyway, happy to hear all is well! just make sure they are resting quiet, not crying much and not restless.. take care!!! ( more pics pleeeeease!)
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:54 PM

yes i can put more pics up...
the box is big enough and the kittens cant' get out not yet anyway i do bring it down in the morning and then back up with me at night i was just worried that it would throw her off in some way or another
i know i shouldn't have but i did i named the kittens lol just because i feel so idk by calling them "the kittens" boy or girl so yup the girl, the one that looks just like lily is piper and the boy, solid orange is chris... i know not real kitty names but none of my cats that i name are lol i can try to put a pic of all my kitties up
the solid grey cat is mittens, natasha's dad. the other kitten it leo
Attached Images

Old January 28th, 2009, 01:55 PM

sorry for the huge pics i thought they were smaller and i put the wrong one up... it was supposed to be of lily and the three kittens lol i'll try again
Attached Images

Old January 28th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I'm a softy

awww cute tortie, looks like my baby!!

i wouldn't move her babies around, they usually don't like that, and soon will probably pick up the kittens and move them somewhere else, they like to have them in a quiet place, moving them can stress her out. Find somwhere she likes and leave it there. She may end up moving them in the next little while anyway. thanks 4 the pics!
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh so sweet. The one of the mother with her look-alike baby is so maternal, it looks like she is holding him/her in her arms.

psst! I knew she was getting spayed - just pointing out that the cat would probably give it a thumbs up as well.
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:17 PM

unfortunately if i were to leave the kittens in our room where she does take them if the box is not down here she will leave them and not go up there unless i am there now if i were to sit in my room all day and night that wouldn't be a problem.. lol i'm beginning to think she likes me bringing her kittens down that way she can still be with me now if i go to the basement to do laundry and she sees me go she walks around with one of the kittens in her mouth til i come back and she puts it back in the box down here i think it's the box that she wants them in not so much a certain room when she had natasha the only reason she even stayed warm is because i carried her around in my hoodie pocket lily wouldn't do much with her for the first few days unless i held her but i can try to put the box up there and see how she does i just dont like hearing her babies cry so much
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:20 PM

i'm so sure she's very much a cat that likes to be with people and i think that having to stay some where and not follow me around is getting to her
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:09 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You said her babies are crying a lot? That could mean that they are not getting enough to eat. Is Momma lactating? If not you may have to start bottle feeding. Please keep a close eye on them. If the crying continues talk to your vet. S/he can give you the names of some good milk replacements that are available in your area.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I'm a softy

if they are crying a lot, that isn't right... like I said before, newborn kittens should be crying very little, they should me sleeping, and not restless. check her milk. u may need to supliment. did the vet say anything about giving them colostrum? that is a concern of mine.
she has been producing milk for the older kitten, and that is not what these babies need. milk changes over time according to a kittens needs. u may want to call ur vet.
Old January 28th, 2009, 06:17 PM

no they cry alot when i leave the box in our room but if i bring it down in the morning and then take it back up at night they are fine
Old January 28th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I'm a softy

I think the mom sounds a bit stressed, torn between being with you and the babies, personally I think it would be best to leave her alone in a quiet place with the babies, and not haul them around, it really isn't good for anyone. Mom needs to bond with the babies right now, and settle down... good luck.. again please maybe make a quick call to the vet about feeding them, and ask about colostrum ok? it is the most important thing for a newborn to get..
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

The kittens should be weighed at least every second day to ensure they are gaining weight (10 grams per day or 1/3 oz.). I use a digital kitchen scale. If the kittens are crying for their momma they are not getting what they need from her.

Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 29th, 2009, 10:49 AM

Your cat sounds very people oriented. As long as what you are doing keeps her nursing her kittens, and doesn't make her stop, then you are helping. if it makes her stop nursing the kittens then it is no longer helpful and something else needs to be tried. Look for the distress signals others described. Some cats do prefer noisy areas to keep their kittens in. I know others have more experience with kittens, but this I do have experience with. Misty wouldn't have her kittens until she had humans in the room with her. she moved her kittens to the living room, as close to the people as possible. Every time she moved her kittens it was closer to people. ( beside Dad's desk where he spends most of his morning, onto beds) there are mother cats who absolutely require peace, quiet and alone time, but there are exceptions to every rule, and it sounds like your cat may be one of them.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-