Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old October 4th, 2006, 06:23 PM

Dangers of Dog Grooming

I just saw this on Inside Edition. So sad.
http://www.insideedition.com/
Old October 4th, 2006, 10:01 PM

As I am a dog groomer, this kind of got my hackles up. I can just see it at work tomorrow with all the customers worried about leaving their pets with us.....
On the other side, there are some grooming salons that do need "supervision" and people should question the people that they are leaving their pets with. People never ask us any questions about our safetly procedures, experience, etc. They only thing they ask us is "how much do you charge to groom Fifi?". It never ceases to amaze me how they don't ask anything else.

This program is at least making people aware of things to look out for in a good, caring groomer.
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

It is too bad that a couple of bad people make a group look bad. I believe that for the most part those people who choose to work with animals in any capacity do it for the love of it. But standards should be met so that bad incidents shouldn't happen.

A friend of mine has a Cavalier King Charles spaniel and brought him to a groomer a while ago. While he was there, the groomer cut him pretty badly under his front leg. My friend then had to take him to the vet. After a vet charge of more than $100 dollars, she went back to the groomers and asked for the groomer to reimburse her the cost of the vet bill. This didn't happen, and the groomer expected my friend to pay the grooming fee. Not only did the groomer not apologize, but she blamed the dog for the incident, saying if he was better behaved then this would not have happened.

I know that all groomers are not bad, but I hate it when people get into the wrong business. :sad: