Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM

hemorrhagic calicivirus

A couple of weeks ago I asked if anyone knew why my mother's cat would be bleeding from the mouth - even the vet was stumped. It turns out he had a rare strain of feline calicivirus, a hemorrhagic variety, that is fatal 60% of the time. The cat died and another of her cats has contracted it and died also. They both got high fevers, were bleeding from their mouths, the bleeding could not be stopped and they went on to develop pneumonia and organ failure. My sister's cat is currently in the veterinarians on an IV and may not make it. This is highly contagious and can be carried on the clothing or shoes from one house to another. This outbreak is in York, PA in case you are wondering. If your cat comes down with a fever or mouth bleeding it needs to be isolated from any other cats immediately and get veterinary attention as soon as possible. She wants my son to go up to her house today and dig cat graves but I am afraid he will bring it home on his clothes to my cats. There is a vaccination for the calicivirus but it is only 50% effective - which is still better than nothing. I am going to call my vet tomorrow and see about getting my cats vaccinated.

Anyway, if anyone has any experience with this horrible virus or any insight I would appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Carrie
Old November 11th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry for your losses, I hope your sister's cat will pull through. Even under the new revised guidelines for vaccinations, the calcivirus one is a definite yes, even if coverage isn't 100% (few are).

'Feline Calicivirus/Herpesvirus is responsible for 80-90% of infectious feline upper respiratory tract diseases. The currently available injectable vaccines will minimize the severity of upper respiratory infections, although none will prevent disease in all situations.

Intranasal vaccines are more effective at preventing the disease entirely. Don't worry about normal sneezing for a couple of days. Because intranasal vaccines produce an immunity of shorter durations, annual vaccination is recommended'.
Old November 11th, 2007, 11:47 PM

poor sweet kitties

for your sister's kitty I hope she pulls through

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:02 AM
-

What a terrible thing....I'm so sorry for your loss.

Is there anything that can be done ~ cleaning wise ~ to prevent the spread of disease?
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummummum View Post
Is there anything that can be done ~ cleaning wise ~ to prevent the spread of disease?
From:http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:...nk&cd=10&gl=ca
Also downloadable in Word format Calicivax brochure from Dr. Norsworthy
Quote:
How is the virus spread from one cat to another?

It is easily spread directly from cat-to-cat, but it is also passed on one’s hands or clothing. Items touched by multiple people in the household (doorknobs, light switches, keyboards, etc.) are often sites of virus spread.

How do I disinfect my house if my cat gets the disease?

Bedding or other materials that contact the cat should be discarded. Bleach (1 cup per quart of water) will kill the virus. Any surfaces touched by the cat or you should be bleached if possible. Bleaching does not have residual disinfecting power so new contact with an infected cat requires bleaching again.

Old November 12th, 2007, 01:34 AM
-

Thanks Growler ~ that's valuable information .
Old November 12th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,it sounds like a terrible diseasethe other kitty will be ok..
In something as contagious as this,make sure your son wears gloves and does not come in contact with the dead cats,
To be honest with you,I would probably not even go in to the house unless it's thoroughly cleaned,since I have cats.
little kitties
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the information Growler and Badger. My sister's cat came home yesterday and it looks like he will make a full recovery. I will definately tell them both about the bleach too. And I decided against having my son dig the graves as I just can't risk having this brought home to my sweet little "whitethumb" (my little polydactyl kitten - the sweetest cat I have ever had) and my other cats.

Thanks for all the well wishes and condolences.
Old November 13th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

So sorry to hear of your losses :sad: and am so glad your sister's cat pulled through, yes that virus is hard to kill.

The calicivirus comes in many forms. My foster kittens got this virus when they were only 6 weeks old. The virus attacked their joints and one was in so much pain he wimpered when I touched him. His fever skyrocketed to 40.5almost to the point of seizures! Wouldn't move a muscle poor thing. I was lucky, they all pulled through with daily trips to the vet for sub q, and forced feedings every two hours.

No sneezing or lung congestion with this form.
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:13 AM

cwbtg so glad your sister's kitty is on the mend