Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 24th, 2005, 07:46 AM

Exclamation Bloody stool in cat

As an overly concerned pet owner, I would like to hear any information that you can provide me about bright red blood in stools. I have seen a vet about this.
A few months ago, I noticed a little bloody mucus in my cats stool. I took it to the vet, had a sample tested, and had an examination. Test came back normal, and he otherwise seemed healthy. About a month ago, I noticed it again, I took him again, with a stool sample. He had that tested, full blood work, another full examination, and an internal exam. All came back normal except for a very minor, non-worrying comment about how we should start checking his liver every year, as it was functioning a little slower than it should, but still in the normal range. I was not told that this could have any effect on what was currently happening. He is a happy cat, with no pain, good eating habits, as active as an 11 year old cat would be, and purrs 23 hours a day. He did receive some kind of shot to help stop the bloody diarrhea and in a day or so, he was back to normal. Again, last night I noticed the bloody mucus again, with diarrhea. This time I even noticed what I think was a blood clot in the mucus. Other that that, he seems perfectly fine. He's eating and purring, and feeling around his belly causes him no pain.
I don't want to panic about this and keep taking him for more tests, the only one I haven't done is an x-ray to look for foreign objects. I have also heard that in an otherwise normal happy cat blood in the stool is not that completely uncommon.
The only thing I can think of is that a couple of months ago, we got a new cat, who only ate Whiskas, and I guess this food seemed more appetizing to mine, within a couple of days he wanted that and refused to eat the Hill's that he's been on for 10 years. So, he's been eating Whiskas ever since. Last night, I tried to give him a few pebbles of the Hill's and he did eat it, so I'm thinking maybe he just needs to go back on the Hill's diet he's used to. However, I am equally worried that changing his diet, might make the situation worse. I think I could do a slow mixture change over a week, and that would work, I someone thinks this is a wise decision.
I am assuming the blood work, stool samples and physical exams would have picked up most diseases, or parasites, or found any lumps or bumps, so I don't know what else to do.

Thanks for any advise, or helpful information in advance.

Laurie
Old April 24th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Senior Contributor

One of my cats(Rocky)has a little blood sometimes,has been thouroughly checked out and the vet says it probably happens when he is a bit constipated and might tear a bloodvessel.
Yours sounds different though with diarrhea....constant bloody diarrhea,should be of concern to the vet..it's a difficult call.
Cats tend to act perfectly normal and happy,disguising any discomfort until one day they crash :sad:
I don't know enough to give any advice as what you should do,or what causes this but my cats have always had a very varied diet,dry/wet,if I fed my cats the same food for 10yrs,they would probably go on strike
Not to make a joke of your problem,which sounds serious enough :sad:
Old April 24th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Sorry, I should have clarified that better.
The diarrhea only occurs once and awhile, and the blood accompanies it. The rest of the time, he has totally normal stools.
Thanks again
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:27 PM

same here

my cat is a non nudered male about a year old and he has had blood in his stool since I got him about once or twice a month for a few days in a row, with no other symtoms. I used to feed him the crappy food from the grocery store like wiskas or dads until I found out what they put in those foods now its strickly organic food for him and he seems to be doing much better a lot less blood. You might want to try organic food.

Also I noticed both of my cats which are brothers from the same litter get this goo in their eyes and one gets black crusty stuff around his nipples and genitals. From these symptoms I assumed they had feline herpies and started giving them 250mg of lysine a day this cleared most of the symptoms up. thats another thing you might want to try.
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Kitty Consort

I had a couple of instances of bloody stool with my neutered male, but is was constipation that was the culprit. I've increased his wet food, and mostly eliminated the dry, and also am giving him a hairball paste. Both of these seem to be helping.
I think that as you have had him tested quite thoroughly... and he seems ok otherwise.. mabye try a slow dietary change and see.
If there are no other adverse symptoms... and its just a very occasssional thing..the cause might remain a mystery.
Good luck with this... hope you are able to track this down.

Alyssa, - may I ask you why your adult male cat in not neutered? Is his brother also intact?
I'd really reccomend you get them done as soon as you can - maybe you already are planning this. Aside from the litters they may sire... intact male cats start to spray.. and it is ghastly!
Old May 4th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Sounds like colititis...sometimes angry, irritated bowel.....

Have your vet check it out if they havn't yet.

Geez....sounds all too familiar!
Old January 15th, 2006, 08:06 PM

Re: Bloody Stool in cat

Karen, It sounds like my cat is suffering from the same symptoms. He always has a loose stool and it is always bloody. He never really seems unhappy...he loves to eat and is always begging for attention and it never seems to bother him when we rub his stomach. Do you know what they would do for colitis?
Old March 16th, 2008, 04:33 AM

Exclamation Blood in stool - cancer

My cat died 11 months ago at the age of 10. He was seemingly fine until a few months prior, I noticed blood in his stool. It got progressively worse along with diarrhea and straining to go. Since he was healthy and happy otherwise and eating, I didn't overeact. I kept reading that blood in the stool isn't that abnormal for cats and that it was either something minor or probably cancer. There didn't seem to be much inbetween. The day before he died, he passed a blood clot and there was a lot more blood so I immediately took him to the hospital. They did blood tests and everything was pretty normal so they sent him home with anti-diarrhea meds. Hours after I took him home, the blood came pouring out of his rear with diarrhea - but now mostly just blood. Problem is cancer doesn't generally show up in blood tests. Since his death, I've researched and gone over everything with vets, md's, etc obsessively to try to understand what happened. My opinion and the consensus is that he had cancer that had spread to or started in the intestinal region. The mass had grown to cause the bleeding and possibly intruded on a blood vessel to make it erupt so quickly like that. They did an x-ray and found another tumor on his femur so there was definitely cancer that had metastasized. But he never limped and was running full speed up until the last night so I believe it was festering in the colon or intestine and recently spread to the femur. In hindsight and after all the reading I've done, I now see things I missed. My cat had lost body fat, which is a big cancer sign. He stopped using the litter box months prior which tells me there was something wrong. Before I could actually detect the blood in the stool, his stools started smelling extremely foul. Now I know that is a sign of blood in the stool even if you can't see it. So he was probably showing signs of colon cancer for possibly the last year, but I didn't realize it. And a problem is when you take them in for bloody stool, vets don't think it's a big deal - and it usually isn't. They sent my cat home the day before he died. In hindsight, I don't think there would have been much more I could have done because I didn't know he had cancer and it's pretty hard to detect early enough to actually save them. Best case scenario is to get lucky and find a tumor early, but by the time they are showing blood, weight loss, it's often already metastasized. You usually think cancer is a slow decline, but he was running and playing and happy and then was dead in 24 hours. Once the vet saw the tumor on the femur and the blood transfusions weren't holding, the assumption was cancer that had spread. He died very quickly from blood loss. I'm not sure I would proceed differently if the same situation came up. In now knowing what I know about feline cancer, I think I would have ended up putting him through amputation of his limb, an operation to remove the mass that was making him bleed, and chemo and I don't think he would have survived or only survived briefly. The way things played out, he was only ill and in the hospital for less than one day and had ten good years. To me, that's better than him having 11 years with the last 6 months being put through medical treatment. Had I caught this up front, I would have treated the cancer. I still did everything medically possible, but he bled out too quickly and chemo and surgery weren't possible. The cancer had caused a medical emergency. I have kicked myself saying, "why didn't I take him in right away when I saw blood", but I imagine the same thing would have happened that happened the day before he died - they'd send him home with medicine and say it's probably nothing. This is standard for vets as long as their blood tests are normal and they are usually right. It's not normally cancer. So you have to be the one to notice things and research and insist that vets do tests for cancer, because they normally won't if the only sign is bloody stool. But I wouldn't put the cat through all of that unless I saw the other tell tale signs - older cat, losing weight, not using the litter box, foul smelling stool, straining to deficate - these are all signs of feline colon or intestinal cancer. And watch if the blood gets progressively worse. That could mean there's a mass inside getting larger or the cancer is spreading. On a brighter note, a little blood here and there wouldn't alarm me. My cat had the worse case scenario of a bloody stool. Chances are that yours doesn't, but watch for other signs so you can at least have the chance to try to save him or make decisions.
Old March 16th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Senior Contributor

ct109,you should have made your own thread,this one is from 2005.
First,I am very sorry to hear about your cat:sad:
No matter how vigilant we are,cancer is an ugly disease and not always detected,unless there is a visible lump and I am always checking my cats for lumps.
Of course weightloss,blood in stool, is always alarming,a sign something is seriously wrong,it is not always cancer,but certainly has to be looked in to by a vet.
So sorry about your kitty
Old March 16th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I found some bloody poop in the litter box a couple of weeks ago. From which cat I have no idea. I didn't panic, just kept an eye on the box. No more bloody poop since then. Could have been a piece of dog-kibble one of them snatched (that would especially be Spoutnik), ot whatever.

But then, I never panicked over an isolated incident/symptom with the kids either, and myself even less.
Old March 16th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Since your cat is a senior, maybe the change of food has caused this bloody diarrhea. An allergy to something in the food? I would first see if after changing the food back to Hill's, (for both of your cats), if your senior still has the same symptoms? If yes, I would consult another vet just to be sure, if you are worried. You can take all the test results with you. You should not switch foods without consulting your vet first, good communication between vet and pet owners is crucial and it can often prevent things from going wrong. Let us know what happened.

Last edited by Ford; March 18th, 2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old March 16th, 2008, 06:21 PM

chico2 - thanks for your condolences. I always checked my cat for lumps too and about 5 years prior, I found one on his side. But since it was soft and never grew, they didn't do anything about it and concluded it had nothing to do with this cancer. What I learned is that it is such an inexact science and there are so many variables that you can't always take what a vet says at face value. And the fact that cancer is so hard to detect without a scan or biopsy. Because their blood work up is normal and they aren't visibly ill, most vets will stop at that. The vet told me that I would have been lucky if my cat had limped due to the tumor on his femur, but he never did so I never knew. I know I gave him 10 great years with only one day of hospitalization and I don't think he ever suffered, but I can't stop kicking myself for medical decisions I made. I probably should have taken him in sooner in hindsight, but he wasn't sick and I didn't want to disrupt his comfort with a bunch of medical procedures that would have been miserable for him. With the knowledge I now have, I'm still not sure what I would have done. You are right that the best chance is to find a lump BEFORE there are other signs of cancer like blood and weight loss. That's a really important point because I work for an MD and my sister is a vet and they both agreed that by the time there were cancer symptoms a few months prior to his death, it had most likely metastasized and would have been too late. Chemo is way less effective for animals than humans because it's usually in the later stages and even my sister (the vet) said she wouldn't have treated it at that point. He went into shock from blood loss and died in my arms on the trauma table, but at least it was quick. One good thing was that he didn't go through that slow cancer death where they get weaker and weaker and you have to helplessly sit and watch. Although vets have assured me that waiting a couple of months to bring him in probably made no difference because at least two tumors and those other signs meant it had already spread, I still question myself. Your point is very important though. Finding a lump could have possibly prevented my situation so you have to do checks. Unfortunately, my cat's lump was in his intestine so there was no real way to feel it. But now I know that I would address any lump I find because that could be the start of cancer and very treatable. But catching it once it's spread is a bitch and you have to decide what's best for your cat and you end up questioning yourself. Thanks again for your condolences.
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Senior Contributor

ct109,I actually went through almost the same with my diabetic cat Peppi.
He had a small lump on his abdomen,I was told by the vet it's only a fatty lump,Peppi was quiet overweight.
It went away,or so I thought,in reality he had a huge lump in his stomache a couple of months later,very noticable after some weightloss:sad:
At 17yrs old he was then laid to rest,after this difficult experience,I am almost paranoid about lumps.
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
... Alyssa, - may I ask you why your adult male cat in not neutered? Is his brother also intact?
I'd really reccomend you get them done as soon as you can - maybe you already are planning this. Aside from the litters they may sire... intact male cats start to spray.. and it is ghastly!
Don't be surprised if they spray and mark their territory after being neutered. I have a male who was neutered in the age of six months. He marks anyway!
Old March 18th, 2008, 08:58 AM

My compliments to you for the enclosure on feline intestinal cancer. It's like from vets' classbook. I am always fascinated when I find someone so devoted.

Regards and best wishes from Deda
Old March 18th, 2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
... after this difficult experience,I am almost paranoid about lumps.
Chico, we all are paranoid about lumps! I wonder sometimes whether I pet my cats and bitch, or examine them.
Old March 18th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Deda Brada,you are right about cats who are neutered later,I have 3 males who were neutered after 6 month(vet preferred)they ALL spray now,the smell is not as bad as un-neutered cats,no ammonia-smell.
However I've had great success with the Feli-Way plug-in diffuser and none of them spray anymore,or maybe it's at 99,9%.
Old January 27th, 2011, 10:12 AM

Smile Bloody, smelly loose stols in my adult cat Tigger

First off, I must thank all of you who've contributed to this particular blog. I found it through Goggle late early last Fall. Tigger, whom I'd seen as kitten a year earlier, and who one bitter cold wet evening came to my doorstep, and who I eventually adopted. It was my first cat experience, and when he had loose, smelly, bloody stools, I sought help; first from books, then, Pet-MD, and several other online sources. I took him to 2 different vets, one along with his bloody stool, and neither vet saw anything wrong. When I adopted Pooh from a close friend who had a litter of 4 kittens, I knew something was wrong, despite what I had read or had been told. Pooh's stools were almost perfectly formed, tight, not odorous. In fact, he shied away from the litter box that Tigger had just used. (I had 2 litter boxes then, which prompted me to purchase 2 more) Then I found this blog. Several members recommend grain-free cat food as an alternative. I perused my local Petmark and Petco stores and found several items, non of which specified grain-free. Tried several, no luck. Then Petmark, who starting carrying byNature products, had byNature's grain-free potato and chicken dry cat food. I tried it with in a few weeks my problem was solved. It's not cheap, nor is their new Organic Turkey & Chicken wet food, which I've added to the diets of both cats. Pooh still has no problem with normal dry cat food. I added the wet food because I read in another blog that potato ingredients add weight to cats. That said, I'm still sticking with the byNature dry food because it works for Tigger. Again thank you for this forum.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:26 PM

bloody mucus in cat stool

Today I say my 8 year old kitty, Molly, vomit something that resembled dirty water. I washed it up and didnt think too much about it as both of my cats are pukey kitties anyway. As I was feeding them I notices what looked like a small drop of mucusy bloody poo in their box. I checked it out and then looked at her butt (poor thing). I noticed that she still had some of the mucusy stuff on her rear. She is an otherwise totally healthy little kitty. Other than a little pudgy and due for her vaccines she is in great condition. This has never happened before but to be fair Ive never looked all that close before and until a week ago we had a covered box and just switched to an uncovered littermaid so I can actually see whats in there now. She eats good food and only gets "treats" when daddy eats a can of tuna. It being a holiday weekend Im thinking I will wait out the weekend (there is only until Monday anyway) and keep a close eye on it. It seems as this is a fairly common thing with cats but it still makes me nervous. Also, this may sound silly but, could she have gotten worms etc from eating grass from outside? She is usually a 100% indoor cat but about a week ago my mom was visiting and would let Molly follow her outside in the morning for her coffee and Molly would eat some grass. She has done the grass eating thing before but other than some grassy vomit weve never had an issue. However, she hasnt been outside for over a week now. ????? Any info would be great!
Old July 4th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by taliab5 View Post
both of my cats are pukey kitties anyway.
Regular puking is not healthy.

Quote:
Other than a little pudgy and due for her vaccines
How often does she get vaccinated?

Quote:
She eats good food
What would that be? (ie: what brand? flavours? canned? kibble?)

Quote:
It seems as this is a fairly common thing with cats but it still makes me nervous.
You're right to be nervous. Just because it's common, doesn't mean it's normal or healthy. My first consideration would be diet. And just because a cat has eaten the same food for a length of time without issue, doesn't mean that's not the source of the problem right now. Cats can develop sensitivities to food they've been eating for years. In fact, repeated exposure to inappropriate ingredients is usually a big culprit in cases like this.

Quote:
Also, this may sound silly but, could she have gotten worms etc from eating grass from outside?
You could always take a stool sample to the vet for analysis. I would say that it isn't terribly likely, depending on where the grass is that she was eating (a common area like a park, vs a private back yard, for instance).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:21 AM

As far as the pukey thing, they both have "reflux", Ive had them both checked out for it and it was told to me that there was nothing much I could do.
They are due for their vaccines this month. So, not late, just due.
The food they are on is a fairly new food (they started about 6 months ago with it) it is the dry chicken and rice Costco brand. I did some research and found that although it is a generic it is better than some others. Ie: chicken is the first ingredient, 20% protein, etc. Unfortunately Im not sure I could afford organic food, or probably prescription. We are a one income family with three children. Weve had Molly since before we had children and she is my baby but it would tough to squeeze it in the budget. Maybe Im jumping ahead though.
As far as the grass goes, its in my fenced back yard that only my dog and adopted outside cat, who are both vaccinated, are in. Being that it is outside Im not 100% sure that there are NEVER any other animals there but weve been in this house for almost four years and have never seen anything more than a bird and they tend to stay away from the patio where Molly likes to hang out.
Thanks so much for the help. I will probably call my vet tomorrow and see what he says, being that it is time for vaccines I will probably just take her (and Bruno) in for their pokes and have her looked at.
Wish me (and Molly) luck!
Old July 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
As far as the pukey thing, they both have "reflux", Ive had them both checked out for it and it was told to me that there was nothing much I could do.
Not sure what the vet means by "reflux". Regurgitation is common in cats that eat to fast, could that be it? Are they vomitting up undigested food, or is it more liquidy or foamy or containing hairballs?

It's not true that there isn't anything you can do, although not surprising that a vet would say that. They don't tend to have a lot of knowledge about what cats should or shouldn't be eating, and frequent vomitting is most typically related to diet.

Quote:
They are due for their vaccines this month. So, not late, just due.
Again, I ask how frequently they're vaccinated. Is it every year? Every 3 years? Because there are new vaccination protocols for cats and not all vets seem to be aware of them. Vaccinating every year is not a good idea. Numerous health issues can result from over-vaccinating, and personally, if my vet was still insisting on yearly vax, I'd be finding another vet. If they aren't up-to-date on this basic info, what other info are they behind on?

Quote:
The food they are on is a fairly new food (they started about 6 months ago with it) it is the dry chicken and rice Costco brand. I did some research and found that although it is a generic it is better than some others. Ie: chicken is the first ingredient, 20% protein, etc. Unfortunately Im not sure I could afford organic food, or probably prescription.
No need to feed organic, and especially not these so-called "prescription" diets . The best thing you can feed your cats is wet food. Kibble is THE cause of numerous (and devastating) illnesses in cats, like diabetes, kidney disease, dental disease, allergies, inflammatory bowel disease, obesity..... By switching to canned (preferably with minimal to no grains and a named muscle meat as the first ingredient), you can save tons on vet bills over the long term. If you can't afford the best quality canned, even mediocre brands like Friskies are better than the most expensive kibble. Some really excellent reading on this subject: www.catinfo.org

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:21 PM

Sick Female cat 11 years old

Hi everyone, im new to this website and forum, i realize this forum is quite old but not sure where to go from here.
My family is having problems with my cat Sylvie. Shes 11 years old and has had major problems for probably around 3-5 years. I cant see why all the sudden issues happened though, no changes.
She has been having blood on her stools not so much in them which i heard is just from straining or stress, she usually has loose stools with mucus in it. We have moved to another vet because ours was way overpriced and couldnt figure out the problem. The main problem however is the smell excreting from her butt. We thought it was her anals but this smell has been around for a while and we have had her anals done and they were full. I believe this is much worse problem then anals, they do smell, but this smell is revolting i cant go near her without throwing up sometimes, just smells like a dead animal or decomposing fishy/ pooh smell i cant even describe this. She is a bit overweight but not massive she is a Scogcat or whatever they are usually larger cats.

2 different vets cannot figure out her problem and i am worried, she goes to the bathroom outside of the litter box now to, shes extremely picky and constantly tries to clean her butt when shes not sleeping. BTW we have had her stools checked for pesticides and other things came up clean, but i am fearing colon cancer because of another post on that. We go to our cottage and come back and the house smells like everything disgusting, its bad, we come back to like 5 or 6 craps which are both of my cats but only one has a problem, the other is a male. STaying here for the weekend does not help her much though.

Any idea about the bloody stools and the ferocious smell or the issues i described?

Sorry about the long answer there is just so much to it.

thanks everyone,

Lia
Old August 3rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Liaa, welcome to the board. Sorry to hear about Sylvie's intestinal issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liaa View Post
My family is having problems with my cat Sylvie. Shes 11 years old and has had major problems for probably around 3-5 years. I cant see why all the sudden issues happened though, no changes.
First things first, what does Sylvie eat?