Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 22nd, 2003, 04:06 PM

My pug pup isn't eating what was recommended - why?

I just got my first dog, a pug puppy that is 9 weeks old. The breeder said she was feeding 1/2 cup of dry pup food 4 times daily but I'm having trouble getting her to eat 1/4 cup even twice daily. I have only had her 2 days and am worried. She checked healthy at the vet's too. Could it be from the stress of a new place? She won't eat out of the food bowl (of any size) either. She will nibble off the ground.
Can someone please give me some advice? I would really appreciate the help and suggestions!
Thank a bunch.

~suzyrob
Old November 22nd, 2003, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

What type of food are you feeding her?

If it's something really low quality like Purina, then she would need to eat more of it, (since it's not very digestible) but 2 cups of food a day for a small breed puppy seems like an awful lot me. That's the same amount my 70 lb dog eats.

Yes, she is probably upset at the loss of her mother and siblings. Try soaking the food in a little warm water to make it more palatable for her.
Feed her at the same time in the same place everyday, so she gets to know the routine more quickly. That should help her feel more confident.

Is she drinking?
Old November 22nd, 2003, 06:41 PM

The type of food I have been feeding the pup is Presidents Choice Puppy food (Lamb and Rice). That is what the breeder gave to me and I purchased Nutrience Medium puppy food to wean her onto (but I think the pieces are too big so I haven't given her any yet, I will need to get the small breed kind). She is not interested in the food at all so trying to get her on a schedule is hard. She is drinking water. I give it to her free choice. Also, all the reading material said she should be going to the bathroom 15-20 minutes after she eats or drinks anything but for her it takes at lease 2 hours. I don't know what else to try.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
~suzyrob
Old November 22nd, 2003, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Don't panic! If the vet gave your puppy a clean bill of heath and she was eating fine at the breeders, then she will eat again.

By the way, how is she acting otherwise? Playful, happy, interested in her surroundings?

Many dogs go on hunger strikes when they are put in kennels, or separated from their families - loss of appetite is usually very common in stressed or ill animals. Dogs are like us - some get more stressed out than others!

But MOST dogs, no matter how upset, will eat by the 3rd day. I would give her one more day, as long as she is drinking. Be casual when you feed her. Use a happy and upbeat tone and say something like "Dinner time!" to teach her this is the time to eat. Put it in front of her at the usual time in the usual place, and give her 15 minutes to eat it. Don't hover over her, holding your breath. If she does not eat, pick it up and offer nothing else til next feeding time. And yes - stick with the food the breeder gave you for now.

Even if she does not eat, take her outside to the place you want her to potty about 15 - 20 minutes after you pick her food up. You want her to start seeing a routine. And stay calm - she can probably sense your agitation and is reacting to it.

Does she sleep in a crate at night - if so put the crate next to your bed. Is it possible to get some fabric or stuffed toy the breeder may have had in with the litter? The scent would be very comforting for your puppy and might make the transition a little easier for her!

Let us know if she eats tomorrow!
Old November 22nd, 2003, 08:18 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Ya like LR said don't panic!

Is this dry/canned food?

Some are just picky eaters or used to certain foods and may snub their foods at times.

My vet in the past has suggested adding baby food to the dog food, tablespoon to flavour and encourage plus gives essential vitamins.

Your puppy will eat, don't worry. Make sure it's a comfortable place like on a carpet not a slippery floor.

If you are giving dry, make it moist for the pup and try canned as well but don't mix them up, leave them on separate parts of the bowl.

Congratulations on the new puppy and wish u the very best of luck, don't forget to add a picture here for us to see!

Luba