Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 20th, 2010, 10:02 PM

Jumping on people

My son has a 6 mth old lab, who jumps on people whenever they enter a room. Years ago a suggestion for stopping this behavior was to knee the dog in the chest to throw him off guard when he jumps, but I don't think that sounds like the best solution to me. I realize he's a puppy, but don't feel that thats an excuse for jumping and possibly hurting someone. Does anyone have a suggestion to stop this behavior.
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:45 PM

try getting everyone to turn around when he jumps up, keeping your face and hands away from the dog. Only pay him attention once he sits down. Set him up in situations where he will jump up to re-enforce this behaviour (IE do as many repeats as you can to emphasise this is the new way you say hello) and don't let people you meet say "oh I don't mind his jumping", they are confusing the dog.
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:24 AM
Live well, laugh often

I agree with turning your back to the dog and ignoring the behaviour until the dog is quiet. Once they are quiet then you can calmly greet.

Another thing is to train an incompatible behaviour such as a really solid sit/stay and issue the command before the dog has a chance to leap at someone.

The final thing that can help is to try to use body blocks. You basically need to step forward into the dog's space just as you can see him thinking to starting to jump. This reduces the space between you and screws up his forward momentum. You can then combine that with the sit command and soon you should have a dog that is greeting politely.

Good luck .
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:07 AM
Doggie Wench

Here's a great video that demonstrates how to teach a dog alternative behaviors to jumping up .

http://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup#p/u/26/lC_OKgQFgzw
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:50 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to email them to my son. Hopefully he will be consistant in trying to break Toby of this habit, he's a pretty smart dog and its a shame that everyone avoids him because of this.