Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 5th, 2012, 02:00 PM

Troubled black cat

So we have 3 cats 2 that are brother and sister and a new bengal kitten, all have been spayed or neutered. We brought the kitten into home after having him thoroughly checked at vet and has all his shots, we left him isolated for a week in his own room with own food and litter box. About a week later we came home from work and noticed black male cat had a swollen eye. I thought this could of been a incident as the black cat is protective of kitten and his sister is not so fond of kitten.
We took to VET and she did not see any injury on eye, but cat did have fever. She gave him a antibiotic shot and some eye ointment. Well 5 days later the black cats other eye had swollen, I was like really? Does the cat have upper respiratory issue? so took cat to vet and she gave him the distemper shot is i guess what it is called. and said she did not see any injury around his other eye but did notice a mark below the eye of the first inflamation.
Now we are at a week after last vet visit of the issue and black cat still seems to be feeling like crap, he goes off and sleeps alone alot, does not seem like he is feeling all that well still. His eyes are looking alot better, not any discharge anymore but he still sneezes a bit like he has a cold. is it me or is this VET missing something here? why is the cat still looking like he is miserable this far along after the shots and treatment.
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Slimydummy,I would take the kitty to another vet and hopefully that vet will really find out what's wrong with him..
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:35 PM

Yes I think I am going to do that if he doesn't perk up. It just doesn't seem right this far along after treatment the cat is still acting like he is feeling horrible then again i am not sure if these things take time and nothing a vet could do could speed that up.
Old February 5th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Since you still really do not have a diagnosis I would go to another vet for sure.
Did this vet give him a shot of the 2-week antibiotic?
I forgot the name,but it has happened that some cats get sicker from it.