Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:39 PM

That is too funny! I don't think letting pets lick plates 'clean' is gross at all. As long as they get washed afterwards that is! Otherwise, who cares, the animals love it and it is a good pre-cleaning step.
Old February 24th, 2007, 11:23 AM

Almost kinda jealous. My dog has licked me once in the 3 1/2 yrs we had him. and it was on the hand when I was feeling really blue and that's the only time he's given anyone kisses. I'm kinda greatful, because I never liked getting licked in the face by dogs, mainly because I know where that tounge has been. lol
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:26 AM

Okay, you guys have to remember that I was young and didn't know any better.

I used to let my pet rats eat food out of my mouth! I don't mean out of my lips, I mean rattie would actually stick his head in my mouth!! Okay.. I was an odd child!
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
A friend of mine did this when her husband's friends constantly showed up for dinner uninvited. She was so fed up one time that once her dog had finished licking all the plates clean, she just picked them up and put them back in the cupboard. Problem solved! Wish I could have been there to see their faces .
A time-honoured solution to dealing with nasty mother-in-laws worldwide my friends !

Just one word about licking pots and pans ~ not the teflon-coated ones 'kay ? And of course there may be concerns about aluminum as well.
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:43 PM

Glitterless, sometimes you don't have a choice either... When I'd eat chocolate, my rat would literally hurt me to get my mouth open and then dive in...

I don't do much that's totally nasty with my dogs because I can't stand saliva... So I'd have to say it would be talking to them in public using sentences.. But if anybody comments, I just say, "Well, they say they have a mental capacity around 2.5 and 4 so why not?"
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:52 PM
-

Yabbut Prin... that's not disgusting, that's common sense! Heck, not only do I talk to my dogs, I ask them questions and give them alternatives ! And they answer dawgnabit. I also sing them their own special songs (you should see Declan's shy little sideways grin when I sing him his special song ).

Ceili is the only kissy one here and her saliva is so blechy it's not something I can take for long. I'll take things out of my mouth and give it to them but, not the reverse. I don't have any probs with plate-licking though. Both Ceili and Declan put themselves to sleep by licking the covers or pillows so it's a given we're a furry, spit-covered household at one time or another !
Old February 25th, 2007, 02:03 PM

I know, it's not disgusting in a real disgusting way, but more in a "just a dog", look down on me disgust.
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:53 PM

Well, lets face it, a lot of people would find cleaning littler boxes, picking up poop, not to mention, expressing anal glands, to be disgusting. Oh, and I tried putting a treat between my lips for her, and she bit the snot out of my lips! I won't be trying that again!
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Cinder & Maddie's Mom

Aren't pet people crazy!!! That's why we all get along so well! Our dogs do the plate licking, dishwasher cleaning thing to. I'll give Cinder little dribbles of soda from my mouth at times, and they both get kisses, and cheek nibbles from both hubby and myself! I'll never forget the day that Pepper was standing on the deck when my hubby came home from work, she had just been cleaning herself, but stopped and got all wiggly bummy, and stood on the top step and gave hubby a big wet slobber kiss with tongue on his lips. He stop for a second then said, "Wait a minute, weren't you just licking your peepee??" EEEEWW!! We all had a good laugh with that one, but these kind of things happen so often with animals.

Pepper (16) Border Collie/Blue Heeler x
Samantha (15) English Springer Spaniel

Saving just one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that animal.

The soul is the same in all living creatures, even if the body is different.
Old February 25th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Furball Farmer

I don't have any gross stories to share either, I too hate dogs licking my face...but I grew up being told that it was wrong and dirty so therefore I don't let it happen.
I will cuddle and kiss my dogs on the face, not on the mouth though lol, and occasionally they can lick a plate but not often.
And I wash my hands a lot.
I am too much of a germ freak, you should see how I clean up after them you guys would think I was insane.
Old February 25th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Animal Lover

[QUOTE=mummummum;380937]Yabbut Prin... that's not disgusting, that's common sense! Heck, not only do I talk to my dogs, I ask them questions and give them alternatives ! And they answer dawgnabit. !/QUOTE]

I give my dogs a choice too sometimes. Which bone do you want? Which treat? I'll hold two different kinds and they will sniff them both and make a choice. It's so cute! And their favorite song is "Who's That Doggy in the Window?" I know, it's not very original but hey! They like it!

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous
Old February 25th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Furball Farmer

I talk to my pets all the time too , they love the interaction and I'm home alone most of the time, so who else am I gonna talk to??
I ask them all sorts of questions "what should I cook for supper tonight? what are we gonna do today?" and so on, and when the do something bad I try to rationalize with them
"why did you do this? Do you want me to take all your toys away? Cause if you shred one more I will! Is that what you want? You don't realise how many other dogs are homeless and how good you guys have it!!"
Ya they usually stand there and look guilty, Shelby runs into the porch and lies on her bed right away lol, Shamus just sits there while I try to stay mad looking at his goofy face.
Old February 25th, 2007, 07:46 PM

Ok, this thread is gross...Kisses in the face (NO MOUTH!) is about as far as I go. No eating after the dogs, no letting the dogs take things out your mouth, and FOR SURE NO NIPPLE BITING!!!
Bailey~brindle f/Boxer
Bama~white m/Boxer
and Seth (Skin kid!)
All four SPOILED ROTTEN!
Old February 25th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I love doggie kisses! Can't you tell from this picture that I love it when Den-Den puts his paws around my neck and gives me kisses?
Attached Images

Old February 25th, 2007, 11:34 PM

When I'm not paying attention, my cat Nova will dip her paws into my glass of milk and then lick her paws clean. I didn't know she was doing this until my brother saw her doing it one night (the glass was on the side table beside the couch, and Nova was sitting on the arm of the couch between me and my glass of milk). I don't want to think of where her paws have been. She just does it so sneakily... she knows it is my milk, but she just wants it so badly! she looks so guilty afterwards! but she looks really cute when she does it.

And, yeah I let Nikki (puppy) clean the plates in the dishwasher (just don't tell my family! they don't know!). Plus I get lots of kisses from both the puppy and the two kitties.
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:46 AM
Honest Contributor

if a photo is worth a 1000 words! LOL

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old February 26th, 2007, 01:49 AM
-

Nahhhh Techno, the real question is ... did you drink the rest ?

(Not to mention, what are you doing giving your dogs perfectly good hooch ?)
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:37 AM

hehehe we are sooo gross!!

I let Bowser lick plates clean, I ration it by thinking that if he doesn't it'll have to go into the garbage, and the raccoons will then smell it and get into it.

hehe and i feed him stuff from between my lips too. This totally grosses out my boyfriends mom, which is another reason I love doing it.

I also wipe his penis and his bum when he comes in from doing business, is that weird or just clean?
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum3
the real question is ... did you drink the rest ?
of course! no waste

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaAngie View Post
When I'm not paying attention, my cat Nova will dip her paws into my glass of milk and then lick her paws clean. I didn't know she was doing this until my brother saw her doing it one night (the glass was on the side table beside the couch, and Nova was sitting on the arm of the couch between me and my glass of milk). I don't want to think of where her paws have been. She just does it so sneakily... she knows it is my milk, but she just wants it so badly! she looks so guilty afterwards! but she looks really cute when she does it.
I caught my room-mate's cat Max doing this a couple of times. It is really cute, and he is really sneaky with it as well. I would rather he keep his paws to himself though
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaAngie View Post
When I'm not paying attention, my cat Nova .

I had a cat named Nova, I miss him. he was a brown tabby persian. We had him in germany, but the airlines there at the time wouldnt fly him because the temperature was over 80 or 90 degrees (cant remember which) in texas (where we were flying to). So I gave him to a "friend" to keep till that Novemember when the weather was cooler and we could fly him. But we kept sending money and more money and money to pay for his plane ticket, then it was bording for the weekend at the airport, then it was for a cab because they had no way to take him, Nova was never put on a plane, just got more excuses. so I gave up because I couldnt afford it anymore. He was the best kitty I ever knew...
Old February 26th, 2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandynva View Post
I give my dogs a choice too sometimes. Which bone do you want? Which treat? I'll hold two different kinds and they will sniff them both and make a choice. It's so cute! And their favorite song is "Who's That Doggy in the Window?" I know, it's not very original but hey! They like it!
I do that too!! I make them decide what they want for everything. The worst is when they both want different things. I asked them if they wanted to go to the dog park or the river and Jemma ran to the car (park) and Boo ran to the street (river).

I sing to Boo too. Jemma looks at me like I'm an idiot, but Boo loves my singing. Whenever there's a "you" in a song, I make it Boo instead and he really likes it. "Boo is so beautiful... to meeeee...."