Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 18th, 2008, 07:22 AM

Black Lab Mix is Getting Aggressive

We recently moved to a new city and new house, our 2 year old black lab mix (mixed with a Newfoundlander) has been meeting new people because of lots of different people coming into the house to connect one thing or another. She is so friendly and excited when they come in, the tail is wagging and she is peeing all over the place but when they leave she has started barking, growling and showing her teeth. I don't like this behavior and I am so afraid she will actually bite someone, I would put her down in an instant if she ever did that. What has caused her to become like this and what can I do to stop this behavior?
Old September 18th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I think we need more info, she's excited to see them come in but when is it she's growling etc? And at who?? what do you do when she growls? has she ever shown aggression before?
Old September 18th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Melinda is right - please provide more information so that we can assist. Euthanisia is not necessary - it sounds like a slight set back that can be corrected.
Old September 18th, 2008, 12:00 PM

We really noticed her doing it last night, the builder of our house stopped by and Carly was so excited to see him, she doesn't know him but the tail was wagging and she was lying down to get her belly rubbed, she was great. Then when it came time for him to leave, she started snarling and showing her teeth, barking in not a nice way. We just took her by the collar and pulled her away, just in case. The same thing happened this morning, the cable guy came in, again she was nice, wagging tail, peeing(because she does that when she is excited) then when he went to go to his truck she started with the snarling, baring her teeth etc. I don't know what to do with her so I just pull her back so she can't do any damage. I know labs are known for their friendliness but I am afraid of her getting close to anyone, especially kids, just in case. Does this help?
Old September 18th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Your dog's routine is completely messed up due to the changes. This is not uncommon behaviour. This is only a temporary set back. Once a routine is established and there are less strangers coming and going, everything will be fine. For the time being however do correct the behaviour. Is there a spot in the house (dogbed/room) that is designated for her? Let me know.

Simply removing her physically is only aggrevating the situation.
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Interesting that she greets them so enthusiastically and only becomes aggressive when they leave. Seems backward. Have you always had her or is she a rescue?
Old September 18th, 2008, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

In our family we have a dane that does the exact same thing. I get this question less then often, but there are others that have this problem. It boils down to insecurities.
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Geek Club CEO

If she's peeing at the door, that smacks of insecurity to me too.

Perhaps the OP could set up a more calm coming and going routine for her pup, where pup is placed in his kennel when someone comes to the door or is preparing to leave. No need to be underfoot and adding to the commotion.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:18 PM

I'll try removing her from the room when someone gets ready to leave. Usually she is such a good girl, this is really bothering me though. I think the peeing is just excitement, she has always done that. Thanks for the helpful information.
Old September 18th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

So in other words she is submissive peeing for a long time? Ever since you had her?

Everything that you are describing is anxiety and insecurity. The fact that there is a shift in routine, and I assume new dwelling - it is disruptive for her.

She needs calmness, reassurance and correction with calmness and reassurance. Again my question - does she have a spot designated to her in the home? If so, where?
Old September 18th, 2008, 04:40 PM

I had a dog, my girl Nyx that was a mess when I got her. Looooong story, but basically, they took a very shy, high drive dog, gave it no socializing and training besides to "protect". Anyway... she started displaying similar behaviour. I had gotten her retrained to the point that she would accept people coming in, behave, when they were there, but when people would go to leave, she'd get weird with them and either lunge at them or even push them out the door on their way out! She eventually did get over it, pretty quickly with a few stern corrections but I think what really got rid of it in general was just her over all handling. I never completely understood the behaviour myself except for the fact that it was based on her many insecurities when it came to people. It was like she just couldn't handle them there anymore and wanted to help them rush their exit a little. lol She was VERY insecure and I think over time as she became more settled in, she left these behaviours behind.When people came over, I'd generally kept her leashed to me so I could appropriately praise or correct her. Do you practice NILIF with your dog? Oh ya... I also muzzled her in those instances just to be safe, as well, so I was exuding confidence and not my own insecurities worrying about her maybe biting someone.

Last edited by Pit Bull Love; September 18th, 2008 at 04:44 PM.