Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 9th, 2011, 01:48 AM

My First Rescued Kitten...Few Questions.

At Kensington Market in Toronto, a young store owner came around and was trying to find a home for a stray cat that she believed was rejected by the
'cat hoarder lady' in her neighbourhood. She went to the woman's house and presented the stray cat and the lady said that it wasn't hers. I decided to adopt it because i've been wanting to get my first cat. I started going online and reading. My kitten is perhaps 5 months old now and "Half-Time" (Half, Halfie) is doing great. She's really smart and even plays catch with me. I feed her an all natural grain free diet. I keep hard food out all the time and give her a small amount of wet or raw (frozen medallions) food in the morn and in the evening. She is a female Tortie.

I haven't taken her to a vet yet. I don't have a lot of money and i don't want to be ripped off by unnecessary fees. How do i know what is essential. I am on the 10th floor of a highrise. I take her outside in a harness and just let her wander around a bit to experience some nature.

1. What should i look for in a vet. What tests/shots do (and do not) need?
2. I live on the 10th floor with a long apt. length balcony. I keep all its windows and door open. Her kitty litter is out there. There is a small, 6 inch opening on the bottom of the balconies glass and then there is a ledge on it's upper railing with a bar railing.
3. Do cats have an innate sense/fear/understanding of height? What happened if she saw a bird or something, could she slip or go over...?

Thank you very much for reading and any possible responses.