Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 20th, 2012, 11:51 AM

Question My dog is out of control

I have a bishonpoo, CoCo, and he's such a great dog, but he has mental problems. When we got him he had mites in his ear, went crazy, and we believe this affected his behaviour when he got older. Any little sound or movement outside, he will bark. I'm not sure if this is a result to his hyperness. My dad who has health problems have a hard time to handle him, because is so strong. Now tries to he run out the door that catches his eye (someone running/see a dog). We try to block his way, but sometimes he is too quick. We don't have enough chance to stop him, and we're afraid one day he will get hit by a car.

Just today my dad took him out to do his job, and suddenly CoCo saw a man running with his dog. This somehow caused him to run out the door, he was too fast that my dad couldn't stop him. Me and my mom were asleep at the time. It was still dark out. My dad called him, but didn't listen. He ended up biting the man's dog tail, and the man kicked CoCo to get away. My dad is really upset this happened, because he never did that before.

From what I'm told the man may try to sue us. We're in the process of moving, and we don't need this to happen to us. We don't spoil him, but be tough. We have tried everything with this dog, discipline, took him for training, but nothing seems to work. We thought he would calm down, be okay, I guess we were wrong. Now my dad is worried we'll be sued. Where we live, there are problems with dog biting. If that happens, they have a registry for dangerous dogs, and the person will need to get a million dollar insurance. We won't keep him if that happens. I need your advise what to do. Should we give our dog CoCo to the Humane Society? I don't want him to get worse. Any advise would be appreciated.

Note: My mom doesn't believe CoCo bit the dog, my dad tends to make things worse than it is. I think we should give him up of what happened, but my mom doesn't want to hear it.
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Your dog could had gotten an infection in his ears and sounds can be very painful to the dog ear. It sound like your dog need more training and that you need to work on his recall. Have you had your dog ears checked for an infection , poodles need to have their ears keep clean and the hair need to removed from inside their ears when it get groomed or by a vet. I really don't think dogs get 'mental issues' that often , a brain tumor can cause a dog behave difference , and they can get forgetful when they get older. A good dog trainer or dog behaviorist should be able to help you learn how to work with your dog better.
Old November 20th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I completely agree with everything said above. Dogs can get ear infections repeatedly and they hurt. They also often smell so you can do the nose check but I agree the first thing is to see your Vet.

The dog who is incorrigable is rare. It is very likely that CoCo and your family just need more training help. Do you do any activities with him to keep his mind busy? Smart dogs need to be occupied. Something like agility or rally classes might give him some exercise and mental stimulation at the same time.

Really, I can't see being sued without first being asked to pay for a Vet bill IF, if, big if I think, there really was injury done to the other dog. Did the other dog owner even ask if CoCo was vaccinated for Rabies? If not then I can't see how you have a worry that way. CoCo is vaccinated though, isn't he?
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:06 PM

He was at the vet recently, but there were no issues. The problem CoCo doesn't know he did something wrong, he's clueless. This the first time we have a bog that is so hard to train or deal with. My dad can't stand him. He believes CoCo has mental problems, I believe he's just too hyper. Many of the trainers are either expensive or not good, does anyone have suggestions how to deal with him on my own. Not only running out the door, going after people, but not be so anxious.

I have a question though. When he was little my mom would always take him to our neighbour. Now when he sees her, he cries and gets very excited. A few times he ran out the door to go to her, which my mom is unable to handle him. As soon as someone is at the door or ring the doorbell, he runs to the door. We try to step in his way, but sometimes he's just too fast. I believe it started from what. Do you think that could be the cause for his behaviour issues?
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

No, I doubt it. It sounds like he simply likes that neighbour.

Really, he sounds like a very normal dog who just needs training. What training have you done with him? Did anybody go to classes with him? Dogs don't intuitively know what's right and what's wrong. They have to be taught. And how much exercise does he get? At that age he is at the peak of his exercise needs. A walk around the block on a leash probably isn't enough for him. Does he get to run and play off leash? Does he have a doggy friend to play with?

"Hyper" usually is just a way to describe a dog who does not get enough exercise and training. Granted, some dogs need more of both than others.
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:23 PM

For now, when the doorbell rings, you need to leash your pup up so at the very least he can't escape when the door is opened.

I would be curious to know what training has been done as well and how much exercise he's getting?
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marycv View Post
He was at the vet recently, but there were no issues. The problem CoCo doesn't know he did something wrong, he's clueless. This the first time we have a bog that is so hard to train or deal with. My dad can't stand him. He believes CoCo has mental problems, I believe he's just too hyper. Many of the trainers are either expensive or not good, does anyone have suggestions how to deal with him on my own. Not only running out the door, going after people, but not be so anxious.

I have a question though. When he was little my mom would always take him to our neighbour. Now when he sees her, he cries and gets very excited. A few times he ran out the door to go to her, which my mom is unable to handle him. As soon as someone is at the door or ring the doorbell, he runs to the door. We try to step in his way, but sometimes he's just too fast. I believe it started from what. Do you think that could be the cause for his behaviour issues?
Your vet did not find anything wrong with CoCo, so he does NOT have a mental problems, poodles are very intelligence dogs and need to have a job. CoCo would made a great hearing dog ,my hearing dog was a Standard Poodle and he was trained to go to the door or phone then back to me to let me know the phone was ringing or someone was at the door. You could train CoCo to do this and I bet it would not take very long for him to get it. Your dog is bored out of his mind , he does not have a mental issue. My hearing dog taught himself how to catch a ball with his front paws , he thought using his mouth was boring . You need to train your dog to sit and stay , trying to step in front of him could cost your dog his life if he run out
in front of a car. Your dog does not have behavior issues, your dog has poor training and I hate to see the poor dog get labeled 'crazy' because he has no training. Intelligence dogs are not for everyone.
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Many of your problems would be solved if you simply put your dog on a leash before you opened the door.

I strongly suggest you find a dog training class near your new home and get your dog enrolled right away.
Old November 21st, 2012, 01:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I have to agree with LavenderRott, you need to leash your pup up before answering the door. Hold the leash and make him sit before you answer. If he goes to move give him a correction. If he tries to run out you will have control of him and be able to keep him safe. It is important that he learns that you and your parents control the door - not him. This dog needs some training it sounds like. Good luck with that, but really, put a hook beside all the doors and hang a leash there. Clip it on and answer the door. Problem solved (for the time being).
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
I have to agree with LavenderRott, you need to leash your pup up before answering the door. Hold the leash and make him sit before you answer. If he goes to move give him a correction. If he tries to run out you will have control of him and be able to keep him safe. It is important that he learns that you and your parents control the door - not him. This dog needs some training it sounds like. Good luck with that, but really, put a hook beside all the doors and hang a leash there. Clip it on and answer the door. Problem solved (for the time being).
I agree with this especially if the door open right out to a street that has heavy traffic. I knew of a woman that lost her dog this way, someone opened the door and the dog ran out got hit by a car.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor

So, Marycv, you haven't posted in two days. Folks have asked questions designed to help you and you have not answered them. Folks have offered suggestions, perhaps you are trying some right now?

It sounds like you are a minor still living with your parents and bound by their decisions. Nevertheless you have come here for help and hopefully you can exert some influence at your house. Good luck; it sure sounds like poor CoCo needs you to intervene and advocate on his behalf.
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:17 PM

I apologize for not replying, but I was in the process of moving and everything ended up going crazy. Only just recently I had time to actually use the internet. The suggestions helped though. I wanted to thank everyone for your advise. I really appreciate it. Again, I'm sorry for not replying much sooner.

Tags
behaviour, dog, pet