Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old November 16th, 2008, 06:15 PM

Beware of "* ******* *****" Dog Rescue

lease read the story below and forward to all of your contacts.

In mid-September I surrendered my three and a half year old male chocolate lab, Oliver, to a dog rescue for an number of reasons -- the most important being my infant daughter was developing an asthma condition that we believed was exacerbated by dog dander. I spent six months prior to the surrender trying to figure out how the two could co exist to no avail. You see, I loved my dog. I loved his quirky nature, his fierce loyalty, his palate for fruits and vegetables. I loved that he would lie with his head in my lap, how he would lick away my tears when I was sad and leap with glee when I showed excitement. Yes, I loved him in all of his brown-long-legged glory. But as a mother (and as a responsible dog owner who could see that he was suffering from the lack of time I could spend with him because I needed to keep him away from my child) I knew I had to let him go.

I chose a rescue because I thought it was his best bet. Yes, there were friends and family in my life that would have taken him. But they would have taken him for my sake and not his. And he deserved better. He deserved someone who wanted him. Who chose him. Who saw his picture and met him and said "yep, that's the one."

I went on-line and searched for rescues. When I typed the words "Toronto Dog Rescue" into Google one of the first hits was an organization called **** ****** ****. I read about them and liked what I read. The said they would find my dog a new home. That they would screen potential adopters to ensure a good fit. That they would check-in on the family over time. And that they would let me know the outcome. This all sounded right to me. I filled in the EXTENSIVE surrender application. I disclosed everything I knew about my dog -- from the fact that he loved and craved attention, to the fact that he could be food possessive, to the fact that he loved cherry tomatoes. I also disclosed that he had seasonal allergies. I said that untreated, these allergies could lead to SERIOUS problems -- including skin infections that can be difficult and expensive to treat. (I spent almost a year diagnosing these allergies -- and after many trips to the vet and a few misdiagnosis -- we found a medication that worked for him). I gave the name and address of his vet and gave permission for the disclosure of his records.

I sent off the application and within a few days Oliver was "accepted into the program." I felt devastated and relieved. I was told that the surrender fee for Oliver was $300. That seemed like nothing if it meant a good home -- and a guarantee that I would know the outcome. There was an additional assurance that if for whatever reason it did not work out, Oliver would return to the care of **** ******* ***** and they would find him a new home.

A few days after he had been accepted, a woman named **** came to my house. She had a clipboard and took notes. We spent over an hour with her talking about Oliver, his likes and dislikes, his specialness. She was helpful and reassuring. We signed a contract stating I was surrendering ownership of Oliver. I gave her $300. I gave her a bottle of his allergy medication. I packed up a huge box of his toys and belongings and I walked Oliver to her truck, I hugged him, I said good-bye. They drove away. And then I cried.

I watched his picture go up on their website -- he looked so handsome. I inquired a few days later and was told he was doing well. A week after that I was told he had been adopted by a nice family. They loved him and took him jogging every night. I was promised pictures at Christmas. My heavy heart was lifted at the thought of him jogging. He loved to run and I am not a jogger.

Almost two months later, I received word that his allergies were really bad. I was asked if I was sure they were seasonal. I explained that it was my understand that they were -- he had never had a problem in the winter -- I gave a few suggestions. The next day I received a call. **** was SCREAMING on the other end. Apparently, someone had finally gotten around to looking at his vet records. His new adoptive family was frightened by the number of times he had seen the vet in the previous year (a total of six times -- four of those times were before the allergies had been diagnosed, one time for his annual shots, and one time to treat a skin infection caused by his allergies). Even though the medication that solves the problem costs $60 per month, the family panicked. They did not want Oliver anymore. **** felt as though I had downplayed the allergies. How do you downplay allergies? 1 in 3 Labrador Retrievers have allergies. It is commonly understood as a problem with the breed. **** runs a dog rescue. Should she not know this? **** was not interested in a discussion. She said she could not place Oliver and I needed to come and get him. I explained we had a contract, that she had agreed to find him a home, and that I was not in a position to bring him back into my home. She screamed some more. Something about it requiring a millionaire to care for him. I asked her to call me back when she was more coherent.

She didn't call me back. Last Friday I returned home to find my beloved dog in my backyard. My gate had been locked so we believe she had help hoisting him over the fence. He was cold, shivering and wet from the damp day. There was a box on my front steps with a grocery bag full of kibble (there was no indication of what brand or how much he had been eating) along with a prescription bottle with some medication from a different vet (the label had been ripped off so we don't know what vet). All of his toys, his food bowls, his collar and his leash were missing. He was frolicking in the backyard with a ball he had dug out of the bushes. His old ball. His old home. His old family. He was thrilled.

**** at **** ****** **** never told me she would be dumping Oliver. She never called or e-mailed to see if he had been found safely or to let us know what had happened. She certainly didn't return the $300. I have since called her and asked she return Oliver's things and the fee I paid to her. Not surprisingly, I have not heard back.

What rescue would do this? What dog lover would do this?

I believe that **** ****** **** is driven by profit. If they choose to buy and sell dogs, than that is their business -- however they should NOT claim to be a rescue.

Oliver has found a new family who is not at all bothered by his allergies. I believe that he is finally home. With that looked after, I am turning my attention to ensuring that everyone and anyone knows about this story.

What can you do?

E-mail and register your concern about their practices -- let them know that abandoning a dog is an unacceptable thing for a rescue to do. They can be reached at E-mail Petfinder (a database of dog adoption organizations) and register your concerns about **** ****** ****. They currently list their dogs on this website (which is meant for reputable organizations that do not stand to profit from the adoption of animals).

Tell all of your dog-loving friends to avoid this organization.

Continue to offer your support to reputable rescues -- and there are many. I can't tell you how many wonderful people have contacted me since hearing Oliver's story. Dog lovers who have offered suggestions, assistance, and words of encouragement. I have learned that **** ****** **** has a terrible reputation -- something I wish I had know before. Together, we can get the word out and protect future dogs from harm.

If you have had your own experience with please let me know. I have already heard from folks who have had their own horror stories. You can e-mail me at .

Thanks you for your support.

Becky

Last edited by Capt. Jack; November 16th, 2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: See moderator post
Old November 16th, 2008, 06:27 PM
-

Becky , how horrible ! I have never heard of this rescue , and I have never heard of one who would ask you $300.00 to surrender your dog !!! Of course , many rescues ask money / donation from surrender families (we still take the dogs if we don't get the donation) but not $300.00 !

And to dump your dog in your backyard ??? Unbelievable !
Old November 16th, 2008, 06:36 PM

While I understand your frustration and anger, to put the name of the "rescue" here and names of volunteers that work for said rescue, opens this forum up to being taken to court under slander and defamation laws.

Also, you will find that, forum rules state that one can not post personal information (ie. e-mail addresses) on the open forum as it opens you up to getting all kinds of e-mails from all kinds of people.
Old November 16th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I am astounded by your experience wih this rescue group, you did all of the right things checking them as well as you could and to have them treat you and your Oliver like that is disgusting.

I understand the reason for the mods to take the name off of this as it could lead to a law suit. IMO maybe the law should look at them.

After reading all of the wonderful and yes sometimes sad reports of abandoned pets that the good Resues take in and try to rehome the one you speak of should not be running. pbp
Old November 16th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm just glad it ended well and that they dumped him in your yard instead of on a back road somewhere. I have this image of him finding his old ball in the bushes and patiently waiting for you to come home, so sweet.

Every profession has its idiots, even the most 'noble'. Sorry about the money but I wouldn't spend any more trying to get it back. Keep warning people, without calling lawsuits on your head. You can PM anyone on this board with names; that would be one way to get the word out.

A woman once adopted a cat from me. She wanted it for her young daughter. When I met her in person, red flags went up, she was very cold, didn't even want to hold the cat! But off they went. A week later she called me screaming that the cat was constantly trying to escape, as if I had cheated her. I was quite worried she would throw him out but to her credit, she brought him back. The contract I have with adopters is that they can bring the cat back for any reason. He eventually went to a lovely home.

PS Just wondering, did Oliver end up with family or friends?
Old November 16th, 2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
I'm just glad it ended well and that they dumped him in your yard instead of on a back road somewhere.
My thoughts exactly :sad:

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry to hear about your experience with this organization and them leaving your dog in your yard.

If they are like this maybe it is a good thing that they brought your dog back as the homes they could of found for your dog might have been way worse than the one they did find! I'm so glad your dog now has a forever home and is safe and being well taken care of by people who love him allergies and all!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Senior Contributor

I expected a horrible ending to this post,thank Dog the pup is now in a safe and loving home
Sorry you had such a nightmarish experience..
Old November 17th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor

What a horrific experience. I have never EVER heard of a rescue doing this. I have never known a rescue to ask for a $300.00 'drop off' fee either.

Please know that rescues do not operate like this.

I am pleased to hear however that your dog is now in a loving and safe forever home.
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Master of the Drool!

How Terrible!!!!!!!!! I can't believe that a rescue place would be sooo cruel!!!! What if you had gone on vacation when she dumped him in the yard?? How awful!! My heart goes out to you and Oliver. I am sooo glad he found a forever home
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Just wondering, if you legally turned over the dog to this rescue, meaning it was not yours at the time they dumped him in your back yard, is that legal for the rescue to do?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Just wondering, if you legally turned over the dog to this rescue, meaning it was not yours at the time they dumped him in your back yard, is that legal for the rescue to do?
It is unethical to do such a thing...actually if this was infact done I would be letting them know loud and clear that I want my $300 bucks back as well. I am so curious as to who they are as I do not EVER want to transport any dogs there. I hope I am not dealing with them.

Not for anything...but I would really wish we knew the 2 sides to this. There has to be more as I cannot imagine a rescue would do this.
Old November 17th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Something is not right here. I am researching it and things don't add up. I am curious to the other side of the story now.
Old November 17th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

BenMax, Can you pm me the name of the rescue (I assume you have it seems your researching them) I would like to take a look at it too..
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Babymomma - forget this thread. I have looked into it and there is definately something not right about this thread. I think that it should be left alone as it will only add fuel to the fire - when I don't think that there is any fire at all.

Let them sort it out as this business should be done so between the parties. There is always two sides to the story and I will go with what my contacts have told me. The rescue in question is reputable.
Old November 18th, 2008, 09:57 AM
head in the clouds

hmm is it maybe best to lock the thread until you have looked into it... ?
(>'.'<) Zena ~ 14 yrs Calico long hair
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttypaws View Post
hmm is it maybe best to lock the thread until you have looked into it... ?
Hi Duttypaws - personally I think the thread should be deleted...but that is not my call. This is a one way story without facts from the other party.

Sometimes rescues do the best that they can, there is always someone that is not happy and tries to destroy all the good that they do. I do not know personally this rescue but I do know people that say that this does not sound like what they would do.
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:08 AM
head in the clouds

yup... always two sides to a coin.
(>'.'<) Zena ~ 14 yrs Calico long hair
& Hugo ~ 10 yrs GBGV
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by duttypaws View Post
yup... always two sides to a coin.
I agree 100%. Hey - people have been pretty pissed with me for not taking in or adopting out an animal...so I know what it is like as I am always polite and try to be as 'customer service friendly' as possible. Yet they still try to tell others that I am crap...so I am sensitive to other rescues, shelters and fellow citizens who are doing their utmost to do the right thing.
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Gee, now I want to know the real story
Old November 18th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Gee, now I want to know the real story
Me too Badger but then again if someone asked me to justify myself, I don't think I would be happy about it....unless it was a rescue that I knew, I think I would want to be told about the slander so that I could defend myself if need be.
Old November 20th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

This thread has run its course and will now be closed.
Marko - Admin
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread

Tags
rescue