Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old January 28th, 2006, 09:10 PM

hypoallergenic cat food (cat won't eat)

I was wondering if anyone would have any information for me regarding how they may have gotten their cat to eat hypoallergenic cat food. My cat was recently at the vet who suggested he should go on this type of food exclusively, but he has now stopped eating and won't go near it. Any words of advice on how to get him to start eating?? He was normally a very good eater before this. Thanks!
Old January 28th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Fromm's has a hollistic style gravy that encourages cats to eat. It's all natural so perhaps that would be ok to add a little bit of on to the food. What specific allergy do they feel the cat has ie. chicken, beef, grain? That might help to direct you to something that will encourage but not harm.
Old January 29th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Thanks! Where is that available? Right now, we aren't positive that it is an allergy, he has been placed on this food to see if that is what is wrong with him so we are not supposed to feed him anything but the food provided to us. Poor kitty has huge holes in his fur now!
Old January 29th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Those vet allergy foods bug me. Most cats and dogs are allergic to corn or wheat or soy and those foods are usually loaded with at least one of them.

The best way is to take your old food's ingredients and find a food that goes the opposite way. So if you have chicken and corn and wheat, you get a food that is salmon and rice or lamb and rice. You know what I mean? The ingredients of the vet food are so bad that it's a mystery why any animals at all ever eat it.