Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Wildlife - squrriels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, groundhogs, etc.

Old July 5th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Kitty pimp

what do you feed a fox

My girl who works as a sec guard for a college ahs been in post where alot of wild life is considering its in jersey lol

So she has been getting close to some young foxes like 3 meters or so which is preety good

what do foxes like to eat and we could use as a treat liver maybe ?
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:32 AM

Foxes are true omnivores capable of devouring a large variety of plant and animal matter. On the vegetarian side of the equation, possible foods include various grasses, grains, fungi, berries and fruit. It´s much better known carnivorous diet might consist of insects (especially grasshoppers where abundant), rodents such as mice and voles, rabbits, birds, eggs, amphibians and small reptiles, fish, mollusks, earthworms, carrion and more. Foxes are also quite famous for scavenging human garbage, which can provide a major portion of their diet in urban environments.

Too bad I couldn't feed my nasty neighbour to the fox. LOL

Last edited by SandraLM; July 5th, 2009 at 12:13 PM.
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:37 AM

Wildlife should never be fed. When wild animals link humans to food this is when they become a problem, and you risk the animals learning behaviors that could lead to their destruction. Foxes also have a lot of bacteria in their mouths, and if you get bitten (they could puncture by accident when trying to grab food) you risk a very serious infection.

It is also illegal! Please do not feed the foxes!
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Kitty pimp

ahh ty sandra tahst what i sort of figured
mmm grasshoppers and skketers lol
i know myla but they are so cute lol i basically told her to sit down and be silent and they will eventually get closer just out of curiosity beside she feeding the rabbits and i fig thats why the foxes are hanging out
nothing like some fresh wabbit!!!
Old July 5th, 2009, 12:56 PM

Not my kind of diet.
Old July 5th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Many years ago we had a fox the liked humans. She would sleep out on the deck at night and look in the windows. She stole dog food all the time so we made sure she had her own. We actually had her vaccinated ( brother worked for MNR) so we got the wild life pac. She stayed around for a few years and brought her babies with her. She used to tease the crap out of our dog. She would come right up to you but we never touched her. Her fur was so shinny and healthy and the look on her face was so nice. Sigh...I love all animals with the exception of the 2 legged variety.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old July 6th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Foxes are rabie vector animals. I wouldn't be getting to close to them, and I work closely with widlife on a daily basis.

Here is a quote that I love.

'Those who wish to pet and baby wildlife love them. But those who respect their natures and wish them to live normal lives, love them more'.

Wildlife don't understand and their number one thinking when seeing us that we are trying to eat/kill them. They are not pets, should not be petted, kept as pet or treated like a domestic animal.

By doing this, people are just giving it a deathwish. It is wild, it knows how to survive. If sick or injured, you call your local animal control.

Feeding birds, squirrels are one thing. But getting friendly with animals that are rabie carriers draws the line. Respect and love wildlife from a far. Only intervene when it is nessacary. Sick/injured.

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; July 6th, 2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old July 6th, 2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Foxes are rabie vector animals. I wouldn't be getting to close to them, and I work closely with widlife on a daily basis.

Here is a quote that I love.

Those who wish to pet and baby wildlife love them. But those who respect their natures and wish them to live normal lives, love them more.

Wildlife don't understand and their number one thinking when seeing us that we are trying to eat/kill them. They are not pets, should not be petted, kept as pet or treated like a domestic animal.

By doing this, people are just giving it a deathwish. It is wild, it knows how to survive. If sick or injured, you call your local animal control.

Feeding birds, squirrels are one thing. But getting friendly with animals that are rabie carriers draws the line. Respect and love wildlife from a far. Only intervene when it is nessacary. Sick/injured.

ACO22
I agree.
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Kitty pimp

i agree maria knows this also this was somewht in fun because the fox is so corious and un afraid never knew a fox to be like that .
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
i agree maria knows this also this was somewht in fun because the fox is so corious and un afraid never knew a fox to be like that .
a un afraid fox...this is should a HUGE alert to this is not safe, and very likely to be sick.

If they are the kits, of course they are going to be playful. They are babies. It doesn't make it ok to interact with wild animals. And just remember...mom is always close by. And mommy's are protective of their babies.

ACO22
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Kitty pimp

here is whats gong on over there

1 land is being developed
2 its on a college campus
4 the students aand staff will feed and report stray dogs and cats

because of pressure from land development, a lot of animals have been on campus peartaking of the student bidies trash and generosity

Because if this and the fact that the foxes have been raised aorund hunmans {remember this is more or less an urban eviornmentand no real forests to hide in } the fox deer rabbits etc have lost a lot of thier fear of humans

the fox es are pretty much JRs' and are appear vey healthy. There have been no reports of rabies in the area

This is what happens in an urban enviornment when the population pressure gets high we have herds of deer you can hand feed

we have wild turkeys that exhibt very little fear

Again I am not advocating raising or taking in wild animals/ I am conflicted enough about messing about in the stay cats samsarra as it is
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

In my area, their favourite food is chipmunks. Is there a wildlife sanctuary around that could take them in?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey