Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 28th, 2012, 10:26 AM

Unhappy how to go about rehoming a 5 year old dog.

Yes it's happening again and there is no way out. Now before people start freaking out and sending posts about how aweful I am for rehoming our dog hear me out. We've had Zena for 5 years now and up until last may it's been great. Now however our son who is now 3 is a bit hyperactive and rough with her, she is very tolerant. He almost burnt her with hot water last week and he was only out of our sight for a minute literally. I caught him just in time. Also I have asthma and allergies that make keeping her very hard, I'm waiting to have an eye removed that causes me extreme pain and waters whenever I get anywhere near her. On top of all that keeping her is not doing her justice as we are very busy people and don't have the time to spend with her, also the cost of living keeps going up and now I cant's even afford to take her for needles let alone go to the vet if something happens. In a nutshell our lives have changed and we are at a loss as to how we could even remotely keep her.

First question is how do we break this to our son who just loves her and plays with her all the time? We will not lie to him we don't believe in that.

and how do we advertise her without getting some crazed maniac thinking he can use her for some junk yard dog? She is a family pet through and through and it would kill her if she went to anything but a good loving family or some person who is lonley and needs a companion. The fact that she is half PitBull has me concerned about who might respond. I won't lie about her breed so don't even suggest it. Her age has me concerned as well even though she is healthy.

The biggest problem is the allergies as I can't even be in the same room with her anymore. This rehoming is harder because other then our family situation there is no reason to do this but, Pippin was just a pain in our lives Zena is amazing and I am very frustrated with having to do this but, such is life I guess. Oh yeah we are likely moving into a place that won't allow pets, to cut costs so that's a factor as well and yes we have to move if we want to eat. In our province you don't get enough to survive on from income assistance as it is let alone having a pet on top of it. so any sound ideas would be appreciated. thanks.
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. It must be hard but it does seem rehoming might be best for Zena.

My neighbour recently took in a dog that needed a home. The dog's owner, poor woman, suddenly inherited the dog when her Dad (human Dad) died and tried her best but just could not cope. She put the word out to everyone she could, including her Vet, the dog's previous Vet, and the boarding kennel she was using a lot at this unsettled stage in her life. My neighbour had used the same boarding kennel for his previous dog and the boarding kennel owner put the two together.

It was a match made in heaven. Lucy is a lucky dog, so is my neighbour and so is my dog as they have great plays together.

Sorry for the long story but this can have a good ending and I hope it works out for you and Zena. Contact everyone you know personally first, is my suggestion. Including any professional who has had contact with Zena, like your Vet, a training centre, a doggy day care, a boarding kennel. People who know and like you and your dog are the most likely to offer help that is in the dog's best interest. Good, good luck.
Old May 28th, 2012, 01:34 PM

You need to do what is best for you and the dog and this can be an extremely hard decision to make. Rehoming a dog can be very hard and can take a very long time. People think about how lovely their dog is and that any one would be lucky to have them and then they are hit with the reality that no one else wants this dog. I know of dogs who are beautiful, perfectly behaved, and fully trained who spend months even years in rescue limbo. Any less then perfect dogs are that much harder to place. Especially now in this economy.

I wish you all the luck in the world. Contact all local kennels, vets, daycares, shelters, rescues (ask for a courtesy listing), pet stores, make a page on Facebook, ask friends to pass the word, and hope for the best. Have an adoption fee, don't give her away for free no matter how tempting. Do have an adoption application and screen and interview the potential adopters, ask for references and follow up on them.

Good luck.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:13 AM

zena

Thanks it is a very hard decision, she's been part of our family for over 5 years now, and my son is attached but, given the circumstances I can't see any other choice. Unfortunately my network of helpers is limitted. Other family members I woun't really trust to give her the proper care she needs, A lot of our friends are as poor as we are and don't want pets anyway. I did contact our local spca for advice, waiting for a reply. Nervous to put her on kijiji and anyone who knows me on face book know what we are doing. Never thought of making a page but, I suppose I could. An adoption fee never thought of that.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by histears View Post
Thanks it is a very hard decision, she's been part of our family for over 5 years now, and my son is attached but, given the circumstances I can't see any other choice. Unfortunately my network of helpers is limitted. Other family members I woun't really trust to give her the proper care she needs, A lot of our friends are as poor as we are and don't want pets anyway. I did contact our local spca for advice, waiting for a reply. Nervous to put her on kijiji and anyone who knows me on face book know what we are doing. Never thought of making a page but, I suppose I could. An adoption fee never thought of that.
Have you asked the vet if they know of anyone that lost a dog and would like an older dog? I know of a couple that got a dog together and when the guy broke up with the woman either one wanted the poor dog and it was going to be send to a shelter. At the last moment the guy told his vet and the vet had a patient that just lost their dog and it was the same breed . So the dog had a happy ending and she got a new home .
Old June 12th, 2012, 05:08 PM

still debating.

Got a reply back from the SPCA. They suggested us signing her over to them and us fostering her until a home can be found. Wondering what you think. This would offer a screening process and she could stay with us and be fed properly because they would supply the food. Wondering if anyone has been through their assessment for behavior and what that intails. They have to asses her before they can agree to taking ownership of her. Right now she doesn't have a vet, we can't afford to even get her needles. She hasn't seen a vet for 3 years now. Even with them owning her we make the final decision as to who adopts her. They charge a $200 fee for adopting so that's covered as well. Still getting up the guts to take the plunge but, I know I can't wait too long on this one.
Old June 12th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

If you cannot find a rescue to assist you then I think the shelter offer is pretty darn solid.
Don't wait too long. Moving season is approaching and you may loose this opportunity as this is dumping season for dogs and cats. They will soon be overwhelmed at the shelter.
Good luck.
Old June 12th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
If you cannot find a rescue to assist you then I think the shelter offer is pretty darn solid.
Don't wait too long. Moving season is approaching and you may loose this opportunity as this is dumping season for dogs and cats. They will soon be overwhelmed at the shelter.
Good luck.
This is also breeding season for cats and there will be a lot of unwanted kittens being brought in to the shelter. The no kill cat shelter near me is very busy taking in cats this time of year. Is is so sad how many unwanted pets are out there.
Old January 30th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Animal Advocate

Reply to placing your dog

I would contact a local REPUTABLE rescue as i have worked with a few they do the right thing and help place the dog in a suitable situation that is a bonus for both parties. I wouldn't go to animal services or local pounds as i think the stress level is brutal for those dogs and the outcome isn't always what you want or expected. The OSPCA and the local Humane Societies, Oakville being one of the BEST divisions i have encountered are helpful too. I am not sure if you have found a home yet, if so, please share the news.