Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old February 25th, 2013, 04:18 PM

Unhappy Has anyone tried chiropractic treatment on their dog?

I have an active 8 year old ****zu-poodle cross that started limping 3 months ago. She could have easily injured it as she is a jumper/leaper/run as fast as she can kinda dog. I've had x-rays and was told she would heal up but she is not and it is starting to affect her happiness. I am considering going to a pet chiropractor and wonder if anyone has tried this?

Last edited by bmckay; February 25th, 2013 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spell error
Old March 10th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, yes, yes...I have used regular chiropractic care for my dogs since 2001. I believe that it's one reaon I've not had terrible joint problems in my dogs as they've aged (have alo used joint supplements).

When I adopted my pup, that was one of the first things I did, was take her to the chiro, who found all sort of the thing misaligned, but after a few visits, she is maintaining adjutments. She had a couple pelvic surgeries after that, so I will continue with tune-ups to help avoid problems down the road.
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I had Standard Poodle that loved to jump a lot and had a limb which I thought
was landing the wrong. He was dues for check up and I found out he had Lyme disease which can made a dog limb. Has your been checked for this recently?
Old March 11th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Senior Contributor

bmckay, yes, I've had both shelties and cattle dogs treated, usually with excellent results (one total disaster), BUT you need to find the best chiropractor you can.
Old March 11th, 2013, 07:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes and I was not happy at all, it did nothing as far as I could tell. But I would recommend it as a try anyway. Different things work for different dogs. My OH swears by his treatments. He's sort of an old dog.
Old March 11th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

The practitioner does make a big difference. I have three different ones that I can choose in this area, and they all give slightly different results, with one someone that I prefer not going to, only because he misses things that the others address.
Old December 16th, 2013, 06:59 PM

Smile chricopathicny treatment /bmckay

hi- merry xmas. I think I tried to send u a short note before but did not go thru Yes, im thinking of going to one for my 15/ yr dog. he has IVDD. its terrible he enjoyed his walks bu t now no longer can he do a half a block. he is on rimdaly 1x a day for pain. no surgery at this age.

I know I will not have him for 2014 so every moment is precious. he still eats his food good and drinks his water daily. gives me a solid stool and urinates daily. broken sleep occassionaly roams the house and stares at the wall. this is not uncommon. I have a mild tranquilzer when this happens I pick him up gently and put him in his bed. so, I hope I get told honestly about his condition chrio treatments are expensive and I want to see results ,so many vet drs see u as a ATM machine and a lot of them have got caught up in a material world. the oath that vets take when finished with school is DO NO HARM, so I hope I get one that is honest. bye,if anyone would like to reply I be interested to know if u feel the same like me. I guess u can reach me at pets.ca-:dog - sweetheart1 or on dogster.com as a guest under senior dogs blog.bye.
Old December 17th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Senior Contributor

It will depend on why you dog is not getting along well. If things are too advanced, it may not help. But I have seen nothing but positive results, and you will now withing 1-3 adjustments. You might also try acupunture, and be sure you have your boy on good joint supplements.