Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 25th, 2003, 11:27 AM

Sinus infection or asthma?

Off and on for the past two weeks, my 6 year old cat has been suffering from what seems to be an infection in her nasal passages or sinuses. She started with a very runny nose that made breathing difficult for her. I took her to my vet, and he gave us gentamicin nose drops and Orbax antibiotic. We treated her as instructed, and she did improve almost completely by the end of a week's treatment. At the beginning of this past week, her breathing began to sound labored again. It's not bronchial, it's definitely nasal congestion, but this time there is no runny nose, and she has added diareah to the mix. My vet gave us more antibiotic, suggested that we continue with the drops, and also told us to feed her L-Lycine wityh her food. Has anyone ever experienced this with their cat? I am hoping we are pursuing the right course of treatment. I'm starting to wonder if it's asthma rather than an infection. Help!
Old July 25th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Could the diarrhea be a reaction to the meds? Is the second course of antibiotics a different/stronger type, or more of the same?

My cat had an allergic reaction to something last fall, and got a very runny nose & nasal infection. It cleared up quickly with one course of antibiotics - amoxycillin, I think - and hasn't returned. Maybe you could consider an allergic reaction to something...?

Just brainstorming; I'm not a medical professional!