Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 14th, 2009, 11:11 AM
One dog at a time...

Taste of the Wild

I have always tried to be an educated pet guardian/mom and thought I was providing my furkids with excellent pet food, at their vet's recommendation. My dogs were eating Hill's Prescription Z/D Ultra (for Lodi's allergies) and the cats ate Hill's Hairball Control. After doing a lot of reading here and going to the dog food comparison link provided by boxerlover2008 (thank you!), I was shocked to learn that Hill's is not the best for my kids. I knew they did not need a lot of grains but never read the Hill's ingredient list because the vet recommended it. Too trusting and stupid, I know. I have also since learned that a lot of grains could also be carcinogenic. That absolutely tears me up because my Lodi died of cancer.
So, as a newly educated mom, I am in the process of switching everyone over to Taste of the Wild. I reviewed all of the #6 foods and ended up having to go with what is available in my area (I live in a small town with the nearest larger town being over an hour drive's away). And, amazingly, it is less expensive than the Hill's! I was paying $54 for 18# and the TOTW is about $44 for 30#. Yes, I fell for the "more expensive is better".
My question to you all is: Have I made a good choice by going with TOTW? I know it is absolutely better than the Hill's but what do you all think? Don't sugar-coat it for me either
I do not want my other babies to get cancer and while I know there is nothing to absolutely prevent it, I must provide them with the best defenses I can.

RIP My Precious Kitty - Misty Margaret (long-hair calico) - 08/24/94-03/12/10
RIP Sweet Baby Girl - Lodi Sue (dachshund mix) -01/20/98-11/04/09
RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Rescues will touch your heart & soul like no other!