Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 11th, 2010, 01:09 PM

CRF and Probiotics

I was just looking for peoples experience with CRF and probiotics.
Has anyone tried it and if so what were the results?

Thanks
Old November 11th, 2010, 05:09 PM

While you're waiting to hear of Pets,ca experiences, this page might interest you (and within it is a link to the "antibiotics" section of that site where there is a little more info)....as well, the owner of that site also runs an online practical support group with a very large membership...the link to that group can be found at the bottom of the site's homepage. (As a member of that group, I see periodic discussion of and recommendations for the use of probiotics - there are some 200 references in the group's message archives. Perhaps you'd consider joining and posing your question there...)
Old November 11th, 2010, 06:37 PM

Thank you Rusty. I will join that group for some more information too.
Old November 11th, 2010, 08:33 PM

Probiotics

Hi - my cat is on Azodyl and Epakitin - Azodyl is a probiotic and Epakitin is hosphorus binder, containing calcium carbonate. It also contains an adsorbent called chitosan. She has had these since Feb/10 and seems quite a bit better. Today she had a bladder infection and I took her up the the vet for blood tests and antibiotics, when I get the blood tests results I guess I will know how they are working compared to her blood work in Feb. Will post the results here. I would like to know the best kinds of foods for cats with renal failure on the meds if anyone knows.
Old November 12th, 2010, 03:32 PM

Thanks HereToday! I would love to see the difference in the blood test results.I just purchased Probiavi probiotics and should be receiving them on Mobday.I'm looking forward to starting them since Mickey has had a loose stool issue for awhile.
Old November 14th, 2010, 12:23 AM

I've not heard of Probiavi probiotics & can't find any info on the specific type of bacteria they contain from their website

The Probiavi may help with the loose stool issues Mickey is having but I don't know how they would compare to Azodyl for CRF management.

Be sure to keep all probiotics in the fridge even if the bottle is unopened

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Last edited by growler~GateKeeper; November 14th, 2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old November 15th, 2010, 08:17 AM

Hi Growler! I too couldn't find the info I was looking for on the website so I emailed the owner directly.This is what is in Probiavi:

"In Probiavi for cats there is only bacterias, FOS, Saccharomyces cerviasae (Yeast) and Dextrose.

I had a client that use Probiavi with the same problem and was very satisfied."

I'm hoping it will come today as Mickey had a rough night on Saturday
But I am dealing with good old Canada Post so we'll see

I know this is going to sound like I'm grasping at straws but upon further research I see that dehydration can cause the urea and cratinine numbers to rise.I'm hoping against hope that maybe if I clear up the loose stool issue everything will fall back into place.Right now I feel like I'm hitting my head against a wall and failing poor Mickey
Old November 15th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmomma View Post

"In Probiavi for cats there is only bacterias, FOS, Saccharomyces cerviasae (Yeast) and Dextrose.
I'd be curious to know which strains of bacteria, and how much of them there are.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 16th, 2010, 02:22 PM

I received my probiotics yesterday,which is really great considering I ordered them Friday morning
I now know the exact bacterias that are in the Probiavi:

Lactobacillus,Bifidobacteria,Strptocaccus,Pediococ cus,Enterococcus,S.Cerevisae

So far although, he's only had 2 doses,Mickey seems to have subsided in the loose stool department that this continues
Old November 18th, 2010, 02:43 AM

Those bacterial strains are slightly different from what is in the Azodyl which contains Kibow Biotech strains: Streptococcus thermophilus (KB19), Lactobacillus acidophilus (KB27) & Bifidobacterium longum (KB31)

Even though at first glance it may look like the same, the slight difference in the name denotes a different bacterial strain.

It'll be interesting to see if there is a drop in Mickey's BUN & Cre numbers, please do post those values when you have a copy of them.

the loose stool continues to be a thing of the past

Old November 18th, 2010, 06:48 AM

Thanks Growler! We did have another rough night last Saturday with the loose stool issue but after I started these on Monday things seemed to clear up quickly.It says to start with a double dose if you are starting out with an issue like this for the for 10 days.I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but Mickey was quite perky and sparky yesterday.He was hanging out in the kitchen while I was baking and he was playing with his toys!!! I hope this continues.

I will post the numbers as I have a copy.He will be going for another blood test at the end of January so we'll know if theres a difference then

Just out of curiosity how much do vets charge for Azodyl in comparison to what I paid.I received a 100 gram bottle which will last app.4 months for $53 with the shipping and tax.
Old November 21st, 2010, 01:32 AM

Be sure to follow the label for storage/refridgeration instructions to ensure the probiotic is kept viable.

For Azodyl it depends on the vet (not all are going to charge the same) & depends on how much the cat weighs as the pills are to be dosed by weight. A year ago I was buying 3 bottles at a time & paid $44+tax per bottle of 60caps, 1 bottle lasted 20 days as my cat was taking 3 pills per day (she weighed 11lbs). {I was also being fully reimbursed as part of the 2007 tainted vet food class-action lawsuit - so in the end I actually didn't pay anything.}

My vet was ordering the Azodyl in for several clients at a time, as opposed to a vet who may charge higher for ordering smaller quantities in for only 1 or 2 clients.

Azodyl is also available online at various places for various prices but one must be sure that it is shipped cold packed as it must be refridgerated.

Old November 21st, 2010, 07:58 AM

Wow Growler...3 pills a day for an 11lb cat!!! I wonder how many I would have to give Mickey as he is just shy of 18 lbs ...I guess I would be ordering bottles everyday

All the instances of tainted food is such a shame To think of all the poor babies that got sick and worse just breaks my heart.

Well I hate to curse myself * knocking on wood*......I started the Probiavi on Monday afternoon double the dose as prescribing when starting out with an issue......and the loose stool issue cleared up .I'm so happy because my poor baby had had just about enough of that.

Also since starting the probiavi I find he is more playful,energetic and seems brighter and happier!! Now just to wait and see the difference in his numbers in January.All in all I am very satisfied with how happy he seems though.

I live in a small town,boarder line boonies so I'm thinking if my vet was ordering Azodyl for me it would cost me a pretty penny!! It's good to know there is always the option of ordering online though thanks
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Wow Growler...3 pills a day for an 11lb cat!!! I wonder how many I would have to give Mickey as he is just shy of 18 lbs ...I guess I would be ordering bottles everyday
It would still be 3, as any cat or dog over 10lbs is given 3/day.

Quote:
All the instances of tainted food is such a shame To think of all the poor babies that got sick and worse just breaks my heart.
It's an awful thing to live with, knowing that the food you fed your furry was poisoned

Quote:
Well I hate to curse myself * knocking on wood*......I started the Probiavi on Monday afternoon double the dose as prescribing when starting out with an issue......and the loose stool issue cleared up .I'm so happy because my poor baby had had just about enough of that.

Also since starting the probiavi I find he is more playful,energetic and seems brighter and happier!! Now just to wait and see the difference in his numbers in January.All in all I am very satisfied with how happy he seems though.
Great news

Quote:
I live in a small town,boarder line boonies so I'm thinking if my vet was ordering Azodyl for me it would cost me a pretty penny!! It's good to know there is always the option of ordering online though thanks
You could always ask them, just for information and decide from there. "What's the price per bottle of Azodyl?" They'll let you know how much it is.

Old December 5th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I was just looking for peoples experience with CRF and probiotics.
Has anyone tried it and if so what were the results?

Thanks
I used Azodyl on my dog who wasn't in CRF, but had high creatinine. It did bring the value down a couple of points, and it went back up after I stopped it, for whatever that is worth. At the time, I think I found the cheapest price in the US at Amazon.