Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 22nd, 2004, 01:46 PM

Unhappy Cats are coughing uncontrollably

My two cats have been having uncontrollable coughing fits lately--the younger, smaller one coughs very rapidly for approx 5 seconds, and the older larger one has these deep, longer coughing fits. Almost like wheezing. What could be the cause of this? They aren't feverish, they eat well, they do not vomit, they don't spit up hairballs, and they're both very energetic and playful. I'm afraid they might have torn some strings out of the couch, but I can't be sure. What should I be looking for? Thanks!
Old February 22nd, 2004, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry,no help from me,but I would take them to the vet..
Strings from the sofa? Do you think they both swallowed something?
Old February 22nd, 2004, 06:40 PM

You should be taking your cats to the vet. this could easily be an infection.

You are waiting too long.
Old February 25th, 2004, 06:45 PM

this sounds like my cat...It was hairballs! I know yours isn't spitting up but thats why the cough continues! Get hairball meds and give by directions...and call vet. Good luck
Old February 25th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes,get them to a vet.
Old March 9th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Coughing cats

Upper respiratory infections can cause this presentation: two cats in the same house-hold develop coughing/sneezing/wheezing symptoms within a relatively short time. If there is an underlying bacterial component, then oral antibiotic therapy will solve the problem (bordatella infection is an example).

If viral, then supportive care until resolution of symptoms: decongestants/antihistamines/appetite stimulants if sense of smell is compromised, perhaps interferon. If fungal (highly unlikely), then appropriate anti-fungals based on speciman isolation.

Certainly a foreign body can cause similiar symptoms, but not vey likely in two cats at the same time. Time to visit your veterinarian if things don't rapidly resolve.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old April 1st, 2004, 08:03 PM

Are you using a clumping litter for them? They may be inhaling the dust and having it clog their lungs.
Old March 8th, 2006, 03:23 PM

Coughing in cats

I have two cats in my household, only one of them coughs. It is a deep low cough. I have had her to the vet and she has been on an inhaler (was of no help), she has had a steroid shot (which helped for a while) and then she went on Clavamox. The Clavamox worked immediately and she was cough free for a few months. I had the Clavamox repeated and she was cough free for six months. However, after the six months it would come back. This last time she was only cough free for 3 months. My vet now wants to do chest x-rays. She hasn't tested for anything viral or fungal. I would like to know what you think of this course of treatment? What should I ask for if I want to have a fungal or viral test instead of the chest x-rays?
Old March 8th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

To be honest, this thread is two years old and the vets are rarely on here. You would be better off either starting your own thread or if you are unsure of your current vets suggestion, seeking a second vet opinion.
Old March 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM

coughing in cats

Thank you. I just started a new Thread (I think). I went to the BB and I think I added my comments. I see a new mail icon and a new post from me.
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Newquay Lady

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmillar59 View Post
I have two cats in my household, only one of them coughs. It is a deep low cough. I have had her to the vet and she has been on an inhaler (was of no help), she has had a steroid shot (which helped for a while) and then she went on Clavamox. The Clavamox worked immediately and she was cough free for a few months. I had the Clavamox repeated and she was cough free for six months. However, after the six months it would come back. This last time she was only cough free for 3 months. My vet now wants to do chest x-rays. She hasn't tested for anything viral or fungal. I would like to know what you think of this course of treatment? What should I ask for if I want to have a fungal or viral test instead of the chest x-rays?
Hi ,
My cat has had the same thing comes on every once in a while.He was on Clavamox drops also ,which does help , but now hes back at it again, since finishing a 2 week dose .He was also just diagnosed with Diabetes .
Just wondering what you might have found out and how the cats are doing ??
Thanks Newquay Girl and Sweetboy!