Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old June 28th, 2009, 09:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The Pack's backyard garden

Just random shots of the flowers...cuz madame hazel thinks flowers are pretty and forced me to post some pics!

Peonies

Name:  Garden - Peonies 6-11-09 C.JPG
Views: 109
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  Garden - Peonies 6-14-09 B.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  65.6 KB

Name:  Kennel garden - Peony 6-19-09 B.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  62.6 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

a very popular patch of Chives

Name:  Bee on chives 6-5-09 B.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  76.4 KB

Name:  Skipper on chives 6-15-09.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  Swallowtail on chives 6-11-09 D1.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  65.3 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Pansies
Name:  Garden - Pansies 5-18-09 C.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  77.2 KB

Sweet William (last year the only plant that bloomed was hot pink...go figure )
Name:  Kennel garden - Sweet William 6-24-09 A.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  78.5 KB

Spiderwort (one of madame hazel's favoritest native plants )
Name:  Kennel garden - Spiderworts 6-26-09 A.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  74.1 KB

Old June 28th, 2009, 10:04 PM
You can call me DOG!

Hey Hazel---I'll trade you some magenta pink peonies for some of your white ones? I LOVE the white ones and your's are absolutely STUNNING!

NOM...NOM...Chives--I keep having to divide mine and give them to friends but they sure do have pretty purple flowers.

Beautiful flowers Hazel! and you thought you didn't have it in you!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

more Spiderworts...just cuz madame hazel thinks they're so lovely

Name:  Spiderwort 6-21-09.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  66.7 KB

Name:  Garden - Spiderwort 6-14-09 A.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  Kennel garden - Spiderworts 6-26-09 C.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  53.8 KB

Old June 28th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Molly's mama

Beautiful flowers, Hazel... those Peonies are real showstoppers!!
Old June 28th, 2009, 10:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

and finally, last but definitely not least, some exotics in and around the garden:

Name:  Grace in the garden 6-12-09 F.JPG
Size:  63.0 KB
Grace in the garden

Name:  Lil Belle on the garden wall 6-15-09 H.JPG
Size:  84.1 KB
Lil Belle using the garden wall to keep her feet dry She's such a wooss about wet paws!

Name:  Cass checking out the new fence 6-14-09 A.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  61.3 KB
We finally got the garden setter-proofed this year. Cass was checkin' out the fence...

The End

Old June 28th, 2009, 10:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
Hey Hazel---I'll trade you some magenta pink peonies for some of your white ones? I LOVE the white ones and your's are absolutely STUNNING!

If you can figure out a way to transport them without killing them, you're on!

Beautiful flowers Hazel! and you thought you didn't have it in you!
I don't--these flowers pretty much take care of themselves. I just give them water when it doesn't rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
Beautiful flowers, Hazel... those Peonies are real showstoppers!!
They were beautiful...and then the Peony Raids started. Setters evidently have a craving for peony blossoms... I'd have beautiful blooms in the morning and they'd all be shredded by afternoon. *sigh* We finally bowed to necessity and fenced the garden in last week...

Old June 28th, 2009, 11:59 PM

Love the Pansies & Sweet William, the Spiderwort is pretty too

But I especially love the exotics in your garden

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old June 29th, 2009, 12:12 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Me, too.

Old June 29th, 2009, 01:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel love your gardens!

I was going to ask u how u kept the pups from running thru the tulips and ummm transplanting everything...then I saw the fence!

I have taught all our dogs not to run thru Mommy's gardens, but I have only had one at a time to teach, not ummm...how many do u have now? 20?

Love those peonies! Do they have a nice smell?

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 29th, 2009, 02:27 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

The peonies smell heavenly!! I forget how good they smell each year until they bloom--then it's hard to pull hazel away.

That fence just went up last week--in prior years everything was protected by tomato cages (not very setter-proof as it turns out ) and there was only the very short black fence that you can see in front of Grace...also obviously not setter-proof.

After this year's Peony Raids, we put up the green fencing. Although Sheriff Cole bounced off it trying to get to a mouse in the garden the day after we put it up, so far it's thwarted the attempts of various Pack members to chase Villainous Varmints through the garden.

They aren't happy about it.

There's a news item about it here if you want to read more

Old June 29th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Garden nut

This fall yank up the peony roots and slice apart with a clean knife and share/replant! Just as long as each piece has some of the pink knobby bits for next year's shoots.

The Spiderwort is so lovely! And blue! Good blue flowers so hard to get in a garden.

You have a such a great eye for photography Hazel.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old June 29th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,beautiful flowers,for a non-gardener you are doing great

I have a whole bunch of Spiderworts(did not know the name before),I am not to fond of them,although the flowers are really pretty,it's a plant you just could not kill
The Peonies are stunning,WOW!!
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I don't--these flowers pretty much take care of themselves. I just give them water when it doesn't rain.
now thats my kind of garden just add water and poof instant garden lol lol
works for me..
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:19 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
This fall yank up the peony roots and slice apart with a clean knife and share/replant! Just as long as each piece has some of the pink knobby bits for next year's shoots.
Thanks, Ceara! So if I wanted to ship them, any idea how would I do it? And will they get stopped at the border? Hmmmm....are peonies on a 'forbidden' list somewhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I have a whole bunch of Spiderworts(did not know the name before),I am not to fond of them,although the flowers are really pretty,it's a plant you just could not kill
The Peonies are stunning,WOW!!
Turns out you can't kill these peonies, either! If you could, I'm sure they'd be dead by now As you say, the spiderwort is rediculously easy to grow...it spreads, too. So far, it's not been a problem cuz I've hemmed them in with coneflowers that are also spreading like wildfire. But if they're willing to grow, I'm willing to let them do their thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
now thats my kind of garden just add water and poof instant garden lol lol
works for me..
Mine, too! It's the only way hazel can garden.

Old June 29th, 2009, 11:26 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I love spiderwort too. I wish the flowers lasted longer. Mine tend to fall over a little. Guess I need to look after my beds better.
Beautiful!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Thanks, Ceara! So if I wanted to ship them, any idea how would I do it? And will they get stopped at the border? Hmmmm....are peonies on a 'forbidden' list somewhere?
Well I dunno about customs, but you can slip it in a parcel with other stuff and they probably wouldn't even check.

When I got mine from Veseys Seeds a couple of years ago they were in some peat moss in a plastic bag.

Quote:
To divide a peony root, dig the plant up in early September, wash off the soil, and let it rest in the shade for a couple of hours so that the roots will be less brittle and easier to cut. Cut the roots into pieces with a shovel blade or sharp knife. Each piece should have at least three and not more than a dozen eyes visible; bigger is not better in this case, since for some cultivars a larger division will grow more slowly and bloom less profusely. Replant as soon as possible so that the roots don’t dry out. Store divisions in slightly damp peat moss if you can’t plant them right away.

Peony root divisions should be replanted in the fall so that they can establish a network of feeder roots before the onset of winter.
http://www.peony.ca/e_html/articles/culture.htm
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:59 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Hmmm...that doesn't sound too hard. I'm gonna have to work up the nerve to do it, though, cuz usually if I touch something too often or give it some attention (unles it's a weed ), it dies. Think the roots would survive 2 - 4 weeks in damp moss if I shipped them somewhere?

I do know that when we put the porch on the shed and made it into a dog run, we had to hack up the peonies and then replanted them too deep. Except that they poked their heads up a little later in spring, they did fine...but we didn't break up the root ball, just moved it a few feet over. Still, they seem to be pretty tough or they wouldn't survive hazel's touch at all!

Old June 29th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel I'm glad u built a anti bumble bee garden fence. Those bumble bees can be so rough on things.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 29th, 2009, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,all I ever do is water if it has not rained and dead-head the flowers,no fertelizer or anything like that.
We do add fresh top-soil about every second year.
Old June 29th, 2009, 04:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, yeah, those darn bumblebees can be so destructive!

chico--that's sort of how I do it, too...only unintentionally. We add top soil because the garden is raised and the soil slowly subsides in certain spots...so we add soil to level it out. I never even thought about it being nutritious for the plants. I believe hazel practices 'accidental gardening'