Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 11th, 2005, 09:59 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Ouch!!!! Broken Toe Nail (Attached Pic)

Copper broke his nail about two weeks ago(briefly posted in a worried thread). It came up off of the quick. I took him to the vet to have it checked and they trimmed it and told me it'll grow out and go back to normal. Well he's been licking it ALOT. I tell him no and he stops. He has lossed a bit of fur and the toe was red. I forgot to mentiom it to the vet when I picked Zoe up from her spay.
Over the weekend his nail turned black. This morning his nail broke at the skin!! It is upwards now and just hanging on by a small piece. His quick is fully exposed with very minimal bleeding. I called the vet and I am waiting for them to call me back.

Anyone experience this with their dog???
Here's what it looks like.............................................. ..
Attached Images

Last edited by Copper'sMom; July 11th, 2005 at 11:28 AM.
Old July 11th, 2005, 11:30 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Well the vet called back. Copper will need antibiotics and the nail must be cut off(unless he breaks it off first). We are going in later this afternoon just to be sure.

Anyone experience this?? How long will it take for his nail to grow back?? Poor guy, even if a point my finger at it he pulls his paw away!
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I never had that come up with any of mine, sorry not sure about it!

Ask more about the vet removing it, are their other alternatives...will it grow back?
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

http://www.healthypet.com/faq_view.aspx?ID=38&sid=1

Answer Broken nails aren't uncommon in dogs, and they generally aren't any more dangerous than a broken toenail is to you. In some cases they can bleed a lot, because the quick - the live tissue inside the base of the nail - can be exposed. If the nail's bleeding, you can put pressure on it with a clean cloth (if your pup will sit still for that). If that doesn't work, you may need to take your dog to the veterinarian to get the bleeding stopped.

Your dog's nail should grow out again in a couple of days, but it might cause her some pain until then. You can help her by keeping the nail area clean, so it won't get infected. Wipe her feet when she comes in from outside; you can even clean her foot with hydrogen peroxide if she gets into anything particularly messy. If the nail wasn't completely broken off and there's still a piece of broken nail hanging on, it will probably have to be removed so the nail can heal. If you're not comfortable cutting it off yourself, your veterinarian can do it.

The most important thing to watch will be the skin at the base of her nail. If that skin turns red or swells in the next couple of weeks, or if your dog's foot stays sore for more than a few days, take your pup to your veterinarian.
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor Copper

Hi CoppersMom, haven't had exactly the same issue, my GSD (no longer with us) once split her nail right down the middle exposing the quick. The nail was never the same after that and continually split causing her extreme pain and lameness. Running would cause the grass and dirt to wedge into the split - ouch! We had the nail trimmed several times at the vet's and finally they had to amputate the toe as the nail never grew out properly again. Hopefully Copper's nail will just regrow like ours do if we lose one. I do think the nail bed and quick will toughen up a bit with time as the nail grows out though and the pain will ease up a bit. Hope so anyhow. Good luck, we're thinking of you both and hope Copper feels better soon.
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:22 PM

Jemma breaks her nails every winter. She has really soft nails and runs very hard on them... It usually takes about 2 months for it to grow back to normal. She licks it like mad too. Her feet are almost always red and chewed because of her uncontrollable allergies anyway, so I never noticed a difference in the redness...
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:42 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Jemma breaks her nails every winter. She has really soft nails and runs very hard on them... It usually takes about 2 months for it to grow back to normal. She licks it like mad too. Her feet are almost always red and chewed because of her uncontrollable allergies anyway, so I never noticed a difference in the redness...
Hey Prin,
Do Jemma's nails break off right up at the paw?? Is the quick still there when the nail is gone??

Dog Dancer, Oh dear God I hope his nail grows back!!! Amputating his toe nail is what I was really afraid of!! Thanks for letting me know your experience with this! Copper's nails split at the sides occasionally, when they are too long - but no big deal.

Luba - Thanks for the info!! Unfortunately, when it comes to Copper's paws -he doesn't like me touching them - at all!!!! So, we may be making a few trips to the vet!

What happened was we have a camping trailer, and Copper went in it. We think he got his nail caught on the step(step has little round holes on it) and that's when he broke it. He went to the vet and they said no worries. I thought it was much worse than it really looked but they told me otherwise! I asked if the nail would fall off and she said she didn't think it would. I am supposed to bring him in every 3 weeks for a trim until it is healed. And now look what happened!!!!!! I thought they would have pulled it out the first time we were there!!
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper'sMom
Hey Prin,
Do Jemma's nails break off right up at the paw?? Is the quick still there when the nail is gone??
Almost. The quick just hangs out, totally exposed.
Old July 11th, 2005, 12:50 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Oh my poor Pooper!!! :sad: I wonder if it can be wrapped at all?? Two months!! That's along time to heal! MAybe i should buy him some shoes!! The thought has crossed my mind!

We are going to the vet this afternoon, I'll let ya know what happened!! I hope everything will be ok! The amount of worry I had the first time around must have been for good reason. I was super stressed about it all!

Wish us luck! Please!!

Last edited by Copper'sMom; July 11th, 2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old July 11th, 2005, 01:11 PM

lol Pooper....

Good luck.
Old July 11th, 2005, 03:51 PM

Oh gosh that looks like it would hurt! Hope Popper is doing okay, keep us updated. Thinking happy thoughts sending big {{{HUGS}}} to Mom and Copper

Can we get a kisses smilie?
Old July 11th, 2005, 04:26 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon1233
Can we get a kisses smilie?
Perfect idea!!! I second that!!

Thanks Shannon123!!

Well we are done at the vet. I knew it was going to cause him alot of pain so I opted to wait in the waiting room. I couldn't bear to be in there with Copper even though I know I should have been there to comfort him after the big nasty pull!!
I told the vet(not my regular vet :sad: ) and the tech what Copper likes and does not like. He is much calmer on top of the exam table than on the floor -especially when it comes to getting his nails done! I told them to muzzle him if they want because he will freak out when it comes to that sore nail.
So i waited nervously and next thing I knew I heard a snap-and-growl! I started getting teary eyed right away and was worried about what was happening. A minute later, the tech brought Copper out to me. I asked her if everyone was ok, as it must have scared them too! She didn't have much to say! So now he's got a weeks worth of antibiotics and should be fine! I hope!!!!
I really hope this didn't traumatize him too badly! And I wonder how he would have been if it was our regular vet - Karla?? He loves her!!
Old July 11th, 2005, 04:42 PM

Sooooo GLAD it's over. Poor babies, both of you. I can feel the compasion in your post. Copper is fine, he's going to be great. If anything, he may be a little shy of the trailer steps if that's where it happened, and maybe not even there. I'm sure with your loving care, it'll all be a memory soon gone! You're a great Mommy, I'm sure he could still sense you in the other room and smell you. Besides, had you forced yourself to go in, he may have sensed your anxiousness and nervousness and it would have been worse.

Good for you, you took good and quick care of our Popper ! Give him a BIG KISS on the forehead, tell him he did good for me

:lips
Old July 11th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh I'm so glad he's going to be fine, yaaaaah!

And you know me by now I'm sure....don't forget to feed him plain yogurt every day if he's on antibiotics.

If they gave him clavamox UGH it may make him vomit/diarrhea.

HUGS to him for being so brave and YOU too!!
Old July 12th, 2005, 07:26 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Besides, had you forced yourself to go in, he may have sensed your anxiousness and nervousness and it would have been worse.
Poor boy was shaking when we pulled in the parking lot! He got worse when we took him in the exam room! He knew what was going to happen( i think!)
And yes Shannon, Copper got tonnes of kisses and one from you!

Quote:
don't forget to feed him plain yogurt every day if he's on antibiotics.
Thanks for the tip Luba!! I ususally give the dogs yogurt in their kongs so there's less pb in there!! But they don't get it everyday. How much yogurt should they have in a week??
He's not on clavamox - i forget the name Apo - Sulfate something??? MAybe?? Can't remember! The bottle is at home! Isn't Clavamox used for anxiety?? I could be way off ! lol

Thanks so much for everyone's support! It really helps me reading everyone's words of encouragement and advice as we all feel the same way about our pets and some people just don't understand! Thank-you all!!!
Old July 12th, 2005, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper'sMom
And yes Shannon, Copper got tonnes of kisses and one from you!
ONE???? ONE???? THAT is no where enough :kiss :kiss :kiss :kiss {HUGS}}
Old July 12th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Poor Copper! I know that when I had to have my big toe nail cut out because of an ingrown toenail, it took probably 4 or 5 days before I could walk comfortably. The nail took a few months to grow back out but the nail bed had toughened up by then, so it wasn't painful anymore. I don't know if Copper would leave it alone, but you could try some Neosporine cream with painkiller in it if you thought he was really in pain. Here's hoping the nail grows back like its supposed to!!
Old October 25th, 2011, 07:18 PM

Cooper'smom, How long did it take to heal?

My poor little frenchie had to get his nail cut off. The vet did an extremely quick job and we went home. Cleatis was just fine all day saturday (day he got it cut off), but his bandage was extremely bloody. Sunday he started to limp on it. We took of the bloody bandage and cleaned him. It smelt pretty bad. Monday he limped even worse so we took of bandage again to see if it smelt. it didn't smell! But today, Tuesday, he is limping even worse and you can tell he is in pain. FYI Cleatis is extremely tough dog and never shows pain! Did Cooper limp? How long did it take for the pain to go away. Thank you!!