Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old October 1st, 2006, 04:13 PM

Talking cats in carriers

Hello. This is my first post. I didn't find my problem in any of the items I looked at so far, so here goes: Both my cats HATE being in their carriers, and both of them routinely hurt themselves while enroute to anywhere. Torn claws, bloody noses, etc. I am thinking about getting them soft carriers, but I don't know if I'll be able to get them into one by myself. If any of you have any advice I'd surely appreciate it!
Thanks
Old October 1st, 2006, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

My 3 cats all hate the carriers,it's usually a 2 person job to get them in to one.
I bought a bag-like carrier thinking it would be easier,but it really is not,except your cats will not hurt themselves.
Just make sure the zipper is closed tight..or they can push themselves out.
Do you put 2 cats in one carrier???
If you do,maybe that's why they get hurt...
My cats howl and scream all the way to the vet,but when the vet-visit is finished,they cannot wait to get back in the carriers.
Old October 1st, 2006, 04:41 PM

Talking cats in carriers

Hi Chico. I put each cat in a separate carrier, which gets really heavy. Reason #2 for considering a soft carrier.
Do your cats hurt themselves when they're in their carriers?
Thanks
Old October 2nd, 2006, 06:28 AM
Senior Contributor

No,they don't hurt themselves,just make a lot of noise..in your case a soft carrier is probably a good idea,you do not want your kitties to get hurt.
Good Luck!
Old October 2nd, 2006, 07:04 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a soft carrier which has more mended than intact bits. They're great for slinging over your shoulder but a cat that is freaking out can do serious damage with its claws. I'd leave it open in the house, sprinkle some catnip inside and let them literally play in it. Unfortunately, it might not make any difference once the cat is enclosed.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 08:08 AM
Senior Contributor

my cats hate the carriers too.. I feel like I need body armor to get them in the carrier, it's alot of growling and flailing claws.

at any rate, I decided to ditch the carriers for vet trips and now I use small harnesses, for each of them. I got the "step in" kind - with the loop on the back, and lightweight leashes for them. They are MUCH happier when traveling to the vet now.

I have 2 cats, so it's always a 2 person job for vet trips - one person to hold the cats, one to drive, then we each hold a cat in the vet's office. I don't let them walk around until we're in the exam room, I hold them, and the harness/leash is more for safety - incase they jumped down. Also, my vet's rules are all animals leashed or in a carrier, for safety reasons.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 03:01 PM
-

Welcome to the forum and we would love to see pics of your kitties.

I also have two cats that hate going in a carrier. They go to the vet at separate times and I just use the cardboard carrier that the vets sell.
Old October 2nd, 2006, 03:34 PM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
I have a soft carrier which has more mended than intact bits. They're great for slinging over your shoulder but a cat that is freaking out can do serious damage with its claws. I'd leave it open in the house, sprinkle some catnip inside and let them literally play in it. Unfortunately, it might not make any difference once the cat is enclosed.
unfortunately, while that's a great method to get a cat used to her carrier, it's not a method that also keeps the cat calm once "forced" in there to go to the vet. My cats sleep in their carriers but once it's time to go to the vet, i have to shove them in there bum first so that they don't see. ANd once inside, not happy. My theory is that they know it's vet time or they make it difficult on you on purpose to waste time and arrive half an hour past the appointment so you look silly in front of other people waiting for the vet.

My best advice is..keep a cat in a carrier as little as possible. My vet is right down the street, when I move I will have to locate a new vet and then find a place near there hehe
Old October 2nd, 2006, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Our trick to get the cat into the carrier(especially Rocky)is to up-end it and put him in backfeet first,then the symphony starts
They do not go wild in the carriers,they kind of freeze and howl,as if I was torturing them.
My soft carrier is for Vinnie,he is quiet easy to trick,so far...
I think with my cats,the car is more of a problem,they are moving although they are sitting still!
Old October 2nd, 2006, 04:02 PM
cat slave

lol chico
they sound so depressed when they get in

When I adopted my cat fromt he SPCA last year I had to take her on a very long subway ride and then 2 buses. She cried the whole way. People were staring at me all the time
Old October 2nd, 2006, 04:22 PM

I don't know how 'kosher' this is - but I have always put both cats in the same carrier - the company of one another comforts the other and they sleep.

I also would put the carrier (vet's cardboard box thingy) in the living room for a day or so before - they would actaully play in it..
Old October 2nd, 2006, 05:53 PM
-

Mine will play in it too but the minute they have to stay in with the top closed they freak.
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:48 PM

I used to have this problem. I got Isabelle to like her carrier by always throwing treats in it. Now, when its time to go to the vet, I just shake her bag of treats and she runs right into the carrier. (OK, so she's a little spoiled and I have to bribe her... but hey, it works)

"Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God." ~Unknown
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow I didn't realize so many cats hated their carriers. Both mine love their carrier, up until yesterday we only had one and when we put it on the floor and open the door they "argue" over who gets to go in and lay down. We bought another one yesterday so now they're both happy. So far no adverse reaction associated with the destination when we bring them places (vet) in the carrier.

You could line your current carrier with soft material like one of those foam mattress toppers cut to fit (leave some holes for fresh air), if they're that violent they may claw their way out of a soft carrier, and that would be a waste of money.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old October 3rd, 2006, 10:05 PM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLauraMcGirr
I used to have this problem. I got Isabelle to like her carrier by always throwing treats in it. Now, when its time to go to the vet, I just shake her bag of treats and she runs right into the carrier. (OK, so she's a little spoiled and I have to bribe her... but hey, it works)
that's a great trick!
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:41 AM

Good Morning,

I also have 2 cats and put them into one large carrier. They don't like it, but they don't fight me or anything. I actually open it up and put a nice soft, fluffy blanket in there for them and leave it open at home. Domi actaully like to sleep in it because it is warm and comfortable. I sometimes find them both in there sleeping.

One time in the summer, I had to get them in there really quickly because there was a fire upstairs in my house. I sort of freaked out and was very nervous to get them in the carrier and out of the house. Domi just went in, but I had to pull Zets out from under my bed and squeezed him in the cage too. Once I got them outside, they were fine.

I really think that by letting the cage be a place where they can hang out made it alot easier for me to protect them.

Just a bit of food for thought.

Love your animals cause they will always love you back.
Old October 29th, 2006, 05:06 AM

Talking cats in carriers

Thank all of you for your advice. I got a soft carrier & am leaving it in the living room for the cats to explore. So far, so good. It'll be interesting to see what happens when I actually have to take them somewhere. I've enclosed photos. Bert is a blue tortie & Miss Peabody is all blue.
Attached Images

Old October 29th, 2006, 11:47 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

hehehe I love how cats will adore and get into any box or bag (as long as it was free and not purchased expressly for them), but you go through hades attempting something safe for them, and they go bonkers Great pics, they're positively gorgeous cats!

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Well,revisiting this thread,throwing treats in to the carriers never worked with my cats,leaving them out for investigation also never worked,all 3 put on a disappearing act as soon as they see them
After the chosen cat is put in the carrier,we can almost see the relief in the other twos faces
MissPeabody,your kitties are beautiful:love:
Old November 14th, 2006, 01:33 AM
-

Very pretty kitties. Good luck with the carrier.
Old November 15th, 2006, 02:41 AM

cats in carriers

I was surprised by all the responses I got to my first question about my cats hating to be in carriers. I think that if a cat doesn't like to go for a ride in it's carrier, it's never going to, no matter what you do. The soft carrier is better, though, and I haven't seen a single self-inflicted injury on either cat. It is funny though, to watch the carrier roll around on the floor as if it's alive (once a cat is in there)
Anyway, I wanted to create my own avatar, but my cats look really, really fat in it, and they aren't. I'll be looking for a better photo. I've included one of my namesake, Miss Peabody, in her Mona Lisa pose.
Thanks to all.
Attached Images

Last edited by MissPeabody; November 15th, 2006 at 02:50 AM. Reason: add photo
Old November 15th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Senior Contributor

What a beauty:love:
I have to take one of my cats today,who has Hyperthyroidism,for a bloodtest,he knows all the tricks and will have nothing of it,fights with all his might and claws it's even traumatic for me having to use brute force to get him in to the carrier.:sad:
Old November 17th, 2006, 12:22 AM

Chico, do you have pictures of your cats posted? I have trouble navigating the website (but I don't feel TOO bad because I've noticed other people have said the same thing.) I have to type in my first post everytime I log on or I can't follow anything that's going on.
Old November 17th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Miss Peabody,I must have one million pics of my cats in the Pets Picture thread But here is Vinnie and Rocky...
Attached Images

Old November 17th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Senior Contributor

and Chico,,
Attached Images

Old November 18th, 2006, 12:26 AM

What gorgeous cats and what a great photographer you are! Is Vinnie the white one, and does he really have one blue eye and one green eye? He is so beautiful (assuming he's a he). Thanks!
Old November 18th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's,they are my luv-bugs:love: yes,Vinnie is my little odd-eyed wonder and they are all three neutered males.
When I took Rocky to the vet this week,we unscrewed the back part of the carrier,lifted it up and it was easy to put Rocky in,phew!!
A friend of mine has to give her cat meds to calm him down before going to the vet,maybe that would be an option for yours?
Old November 19th, 2006, 12:16 AM

Talking

I may consider using meds for the little one, Miss Peabody, but Bert is 17 years old and I hate to give her anything that might harm her. I even worry that putting her in a carrier to go to the vet might stress her to the point of a heart attack. But then again, I'm kind of an hysteric, myself.

So, Chico, with your great photography skills, I am surprised that I didn't see any "pet in hats" pictures from you...Is this something we can look forward to in the future?
Old November 19th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

I know what you mean with meds,I am even worried about giving my 12yr old Rocky his thyroidmeds,but he needs them.
I would only in extreem circumstances give a cat a sedative and never a 17yr old.
Maybe the best would be for your vet to make a housecall,my old vet would,at a cost of course,but maybe it would be better for your kitties.
Mine do not move once they are in the carrier,but it is sooo upsetting and scary for them.Especially Rocky,his heart is racing a mile a minute and he's almost like he is in shock,won't move,even getting a bloodtest in the neck.
As for hats on any of my cats,nooooooo,not possible Long enough for me to take a pic,nooooo
Old November 19th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Talking

Aha. Great minds think alike. I just got the name of a vet that makes housecalls, and fairly inexpensively. Lucky me, working at the animal shelter, I'm surrounded by cat & dog people. One of the animal handlers uses this vet & is very happy with her!
So you don't think you can sneak up on one of your kitties, put a hat on him & snap a photo? Hee hee.