Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 21st, 2005, 04:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Wondering if I should risk letting him free during the day

Ok Im wondering if I should let capone have the run of the apartment now. he just turned two on the 18th and he is locked in his crate for no more then 2 hours. But when we are at work for 8 hours (which BF has shift work so hes only alone for like at the most 3 days a week not even that) hes put in the kitchen with his crate but its open and he gets the run of the kitchen which isnt too big. He sleeps all day . When I come home hes in his crate and his food and water not touched. He has gotten out and hes chewed BF's Work shoes and was sleeping on the couch ( a no no) (ok ok only when hes invited). He isnt a big chewer but does like to chew stuffed animals and my stepdaughters toys and hair ties. Also an issue is when im just going to the garbage shoot or to the mail or laundry he crys and crys at the door (as I dont lock him up for 5 minutes as there is no point) So when hes locked in the kitchen or his crate he has no problem, doesnt cry, nothing. But when left loose he will sit at the door for 20 minutes crying. I dont know maybe if hes more comfortable being confined then i will keep him that way. But I would like to just let him be free. What do you guys think. He likes his crate as he plays in it and sleeps in it while its open and were home so its not that he doesnt like it. I was thinking of doing an hour here and and an hour there. My main issue is that maybe he rather be locked up. I dont know...Advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by Luvmypit; January 21st, 2005 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Cause as usual I can't type
Old January 21st, 2005, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I would say,why change a good thing??If he's comfortable and feels safe,I would leave him in the kitchen,or he might just sit and cry all day by the front-door..
Old January 21st, 2005, 05:04 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

When you crate train a dog from puppyhood to adulthood their crate becomes a "security blanket" sort of speak. It is a comfort zone for them and it is their space. Even when you are home with Capone and he goes in his crate it's usually because that is his time and where he can go and not be disturbed. I don't know if this is making any sense to you.........I can't think straight right now(headache)!

Since he is crate trained, why would you want to let him have run of the house now if he is being well behaved in a confined space? Sounds like he is comforted to be crated/confined to kitchen when you aren't home then when you let him roam through the house for 5 minutes. See what I mean by "security blanket?" Doesn't hurt to try leaving him out, but by the sounds of things he doesn't like it! And if he is out of his element(crate) when you are away and chews or swallows something he may do harm to himself and you may not find any evidence left over!!
Old January 21st, 2005, 05:13 PM
AmInaL

Toby was crate trained, then we let him have the kitchen, then when he stopped chewing furniture and stuff, we opened the dining room door, that's where he spends most of his time now. He's baby gated off from the rest of the house.

So that's one suggestion, give him a little at a time, when he shows you he can be trusted, let him have a little more leeway.

I can't picture Toby ever having the run, he gets into too much mischeif, but he has enough space, and he knows in the evening that it's family time, we cuddle up in the living room and watch TV (he loves Survivor and ER) He really looks forward to this time together, it's part of our routine. :love:
Old January 24th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys. I dont know I guess I just never crated a dog before and really does love his crate and has no problem "going home" when asked (which is only when were not home). We are getting a house soon and I have always felt a sense of security knowing my dogs where protecting my house. Not that capone would be any good at it but Im sure a would be robber rather chance a house with no dog as opposed to one with a pit. When we get a house I hope we will have an even bigger room in which to confine him but i understand he rather have it this way. He knows the routine and is comfortable so your right why change!
Old January 24th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Senior Contributor

I have never crated before.I had the kitchen blocked off.And having 2, 3 month old GSD's training was an issue.I guess I was lucky,by 6 months they had the run of the house.They were actually not chewers.Stopped that before it happened....

Maybe you can give Capone a bit more space.I know Capone feels safe in his crate.But eventually if the chewing stops,he can have free run..

I have heard of a few people who still crate even though the dog is well behaved...I just find that sad.

I felt very safe knowing that Yukon and Tron would be right there to protect me...
Old January 24th, 2005, 11:57 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

A good point of not having him in his crate with the door locked is if there was a fire in the house. He would have a better chance to escape then if he was locked in his crate!
Old January 24th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Hes not a chewer persay. That was the one time he has gotten out and he chewed on his daddys boot. He likes to chew on toilet paper and stuffed animals. But all in all he wont chew the furniture. so i think I will start leaving him out when going to the store and things like that to give him a taste of it and see how he fairs. I will close the bathroom and bedroom doors. I think I will just try a couple times for short periods and let him get used to it. Then when the crying stops and he hasnt chewed much then I will let him free for good. if it doesnt work then he can stay where he is comfortable and safe. Anyhow I will give it try if anything its worth the try.
Old January 24th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Senior Contributor

We gave Daisy a little more freedom at a time. It started with locked in her crate, then baby gating the door to the room her crate was in, but leaving the crate open, then it started with quick trips to the store, until eventually, we just leave her out when we are gone. It's funny, because my wife last night asked me if I even know where her crate is (we've moved since we last crated her). The only problem we have with her is we think she is sleeping on our bed. Oh, and as far as protecting...right. I came home after my interview, and she stood at the top of the stairs out of sight barking, until she realized it was me. One time I came home at about 3 am, and I could hear her "oof"-ing quietly. It was almost like she was trying to wake up my wife (Daisy sleeps on the floor in our room, and on the bed usually if one of us is away), trying to be quiet so whoever came in wouldn't hear. Our big, bad pitbull was saying, "PSST! I think someone's in the house! You better go check!" I'm so embarassed...
Old January 24th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh so yours does the barking while not even raising his precious head...

I swear hes so lazy. He hears something.... doesnt move his head... just barks. Sometimes I wonder is that him or the dog next door because he doesnt even flinch.I come home at 3 am. No dog waiting for me as I jingle the keys while opening, doesnt even bother getting out of bed.....
Old January 24th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I have heard of a few people who still crate even though the dog is well behaved...I just find that sad
Yeah, what's that all about?

Quote:
No dog waiting for me as I jingle the keys while opening, doesnt even bother getting out of bed.....
Haha! My pit bull is the same way. If it's only me coming in, she doesn't even get off the sofa to greet me. Well, if I"m carrying bags she does, in case there's something for her in them...

But if someone else comes in, I swear she would trample me to get to them.
Old January 25th, 2005, 12:52 AM

Herc has always had free run of the house. I too like to think that his presence would deter a potential robber. He is very well behaved and sleeps all day. Although I have to admit that once when he was about 5 months old, when we came home to a bag of potatoes, a bottle of wine and a pack of paper plates on his bed. And I thought I had a few more years before I had to start locking the liquor cabinet!

Oh, and if I leave a loaf of bread on the kitchen counter, I will come home to find that on his bed. He never eats it, he just HAS it.

I have nothing against crate training. From all I've read I think it's a good thing if you do it from day one. I wouldn't dream of trying it now. But if your dog feels safe and secure in there, then like someone else said, why change a good thing?
Old January 25th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=Rottimom] Although I have to admit that once when he was about 5 months old, when we came home to a bag of potatoes, a bottle of wine and a pack of paper plates on his bed. And I thought I had a few more years before I had to start locking the liquor cabinet! [QUOTE]

That's just to funny.......LMAO

I agree with the part of being safe and secure.But if you have a well behaved pup/dog,then why still crate?You can still have the crate,just keep the door off,and let him/her have the freedom.As for if there is a fire,you just may not have time to get to the crate and let the dog out to save him/her...As for the word crate training,that just it,it's about training.Once the training is done,a crate should not be used...This is why I made the statement before of how some people with well behaved dogs are still being crated.And I mean with the door closed.I would rather have my well behaved dog have the freedom to be a part of the family then locked in a crate and not around the family.And be the protector if someone should break in.Yeah I know,that's my job.....
Old January 25th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Senior Contributor

When I come home, Daisy comes flying to the door barking, until she sees it's me. Then she does this wierd tight-circle "Pat my head! Pat my bum! Pat my head! Pat my bum!" Then she just curls into a semi-circle licking my hand while I scratch her. Then (and this cracks me up every time), she bounds into the back family room (usually with a couple of Peppit LePeux hops at the end), looks at Cheryl as if to say, "Jamie's home!" then runs back to me. If there are other people in the house, she'll usually give them a look to. It's like getting my very own hyper-active announcement!
Old January 25th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Foxy's Canine Companions

With my 4 dogs, I started by leaving them alone for 1/2 hour one day and increased it each time I went out until I was sure that they could be left. I did this over the weekend and just kept going out to do errands. I have never had to crate any of mine. Charlie my cocker spaniel eats anything with leather, trim on gloves, my shoes, my husbands belt all that was left was the buckle. The odd thing is he only does this when we are home, not when they are left during the day.

If he is secure in his crate though why change it. Try leaving the door on the crate open for him when you go out, you may find he just goes in there by himself after you have left. Mine all have their spots that they go to when they know I am leaving for work. Bodies all over the place, cats included. lol.
Old January 25th, 2005, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I think the best thing to do is start leaving him out here and there. Make sure all the shoes are away and stuff out of reach. Then I think he will be ok. I will tell him to go home like usual and then just let him go in his crate then without closing it leave. Maybe that will help. Hes not a big chewer. He likes my stepdaughters toys and has a thing for kleenex but doors can be closed. I have never crated so Im glad I can ask a question and get some nay different methods. I actually had a thread earlier about playing fetch. Well Im proud to say my baby has got it. He finally realizes its more fun to give me back the ball then sit and chew. Since the cold weather and because I dont live in a house I have taken to the squash courts downstairs and throw him the ball there. He gets more tired then he would ever get on a leash for a walk. But shhhh don't tell my building. No one is ever down there anyways and its kinda full of graffiti and stuff so I think Ill be ok.
But I know what your saying about the greeting at the dorr. He does that when Im home and BF comes home. Runs to me trotting like a horse looks at me runs back. Too funny!