Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 18th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I'm a softy

May I Rant???

OK, I just have to get this off my chest to people that will actually care and think the same as me, instead of my friends biting their tongues and rolling their eyes...

First me next door neighbors.. Nice people really, nothing actually wrong with them and I actually like having them as neighbors, as I have sure had my share of really BAD neighbors.. I have not lived in the city long and this is all kinda weird to me.. They own a golden a nice one, and a saint brenard, a very nice one, cannot imagine what they paid for these dogs but a lot. They NEVER EVER EVER leave the yard, never seen them ever. They are very lonely, my kids go over and visit and the wife usually calls the dog inside, even though she is enjoying it. I have asked for permission to give harley, the saint cookies and that is ok, but when we visit they usually call the dog away. We only have a 3' tall fence between our properties although they have a solid 6' around the other sides, so she can put her front paws up on the fence and visit as she towers above it. Each night the husband goes out in the front yard to play ball with his son as they cannot around the dogs without interruption.. the dog would love that but they would rather not. They do allow the dogs in the house so kudos for that, but they don't get attention outside. Once Harley the saint got out, jumped into our yard when she was excited to see us, so I grabbed a leash and tried to walk her home, YIKES!! she was PANICKED she had never been on a leash or out of the yard she was SO FEARFUL! it was sad to see such a beautiful and should be majestic dog so frightened of everything, I could not hold on, it took 2 adults to walk her the 50 feet home.

Across the road, kiddie corner a family with a cat, they too have moved from the country and say the cat does not like it in the house, so she roams. I went to talk to them when I saw a cat trap on the next street as I was worried, this cat had already been to the pound, has no i.d. on her. I told them to get her microshipped, but that fell on deaf ears. they have a kitty door so she can go into the garage when she likes, but they have a little girl, and every cat deserves a little girl to cuddle in bed and sleep with, my daughter's heart breaks for that cat. her coat is in terrible shape and she is thin, these people are also good people and don't think there is anything wrong. At night when I walk my dogs we can often hear a cat fight so we walk over so my dog will chase them and break up the fight, that poor cat. She is spayed.

The worst one.. There are friends of mine, they own a large reptile zoo, and breed rodents for pet stores and zoos ect, winnipeg zoo, petland ect, buy from them. They have 2 huskies in bad shape, they live outside 24/7 with almost no attention, it took me convincng them that they could be out on a leash, they are fine, but he went on and on telling me it was impossible till I showed them. They used to have 12 dogs, I was in LOVE with a german shepard they had once, and I promised him that when I moved to the country I would take him, the day I moved I picked shadow up, the man told me that he would run away, eat cats, could NOT be in the house, well from the minute we got home that dog NEVER left our property, never had an accident in the house, was FINE with my cats, that was the best most faithful loving animal anyone could ever ask for, he just does not get it! One husky has a bad mouth and one has a sore back, they will not call the vet or do anything. They have a 5 gallon pail that they sometimes fill with water, but dont wash it, they leave food out until it is gone, even if it is rained on, they don't brush out the shedding hair, and when it was +5 a week ago and now is +30 there is A LOT of it. He feeds them whatever he gets from the zoo when he drops stuff off, the zoo in winnipeg gets donated food and what they cannot use they give him, lots of science diet stuff, like k/d i/d ect.. whatever doesn't matter.. In the winter, no water, they must eat snow. There are horses that do not always have water, have little hay, never seen a vet, colts are not gelded they are not trained, there are 4 of them, no shots, no feet work, the land is very sandy and there are sand cracks on their hooves.

The last thing on my very long rant is killing gophers.. Cuz that is what people do.. they see them as a nusince and so they go out and poison them or shoot them so no one falls into their holes. OK I have lived on a farm for years and not had trouble, I had kids and horses and no one broke a leg. I had dogs that enjoyed chasing them so they preferred to live elsewhere I guess. This is a big problem at my kids school, gophers EVERYWHERE, the soccer field is covered in holes, I get the concern, kids could get hurt, but what should be done? Should they be killed? Or left alone and risk hurting a kid, there must be 1000 of them in the school yard, it is on the edge of the city, and is a private school so the city doesn't have anything to do with it, so close to the city though that there are no coyotes to keep them down, any ideas on what we can do?? They usually kill them but I have been very vocal and people are rolling their eyes at me. I said I don't get senseless killing when there must be another solution. If something must be done to control the numbers I will understand but no poisoning, that is too cruel to cause them to die by internal bleeding, please help with suggestions...

Sorry that was so long!!!!!!!!!! But was jsut some things I REALLY needed to say.... I don't know if anyone will make it to the end of it.. thanks all!! You are the BEST! and L4H, thank you for this, you know a lot of what I have to deal with living here.
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I will never understand why people have pets and don't care or pay attention to them. I feel for those poor gophers. It makes me beyond angry that people seem to think humans are the only ones who need a place to live!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I hear ya hun.. Keely is the only dog in my community that is a house pet, and gets walked. Its painful to live by but sometimes, theres nothing you can do. Laws need to be better. Anyway you can offer to traain/walk the golden and the saint? even if its just once a week? Thats what i do around here if any owners are willing to let me, i do it... I bet you cannot report your friendto AC or anything right? they will probbaly just tel you that they have food, water and shelter so there is nothing they can do. Therefore, there is nothing YOU can do sadly..

AND what are his rodent breeeding pracises like? Does he realize that the same precautions and health testing has to be taken as when your breeding dogs?! They can have serious health issues and temoperment issues as well...Something i take very seriously after my badley bred mice came down with a serious disease and died from it..

AND the cat situation, Maybe take the cat? Bring it to a rescue? I would.

EDIT: Golphers.. hmm, we dont have those here (I dont think so anyway) So im not sure.. Lots and lotts of live traps?
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:59 PM
I'm a softy

heehee, gopehers are kinda like the size of a guinea pig, they dig holes, lots of them, and live under ground, they LOVE to run across roads and play chicken with cars.. they often loose, they stand on their hind legs, look at the car, and at the last second they bolt.. live traps, no way, would not work.. there are literally millions of them on the prairie, bugillions actually, millions are probably killed everyday on frams, this is southern manitoba, farming country... There is no where to put them. We have been trying to just fill in the holes, trying to convince them to go elsewhere, but there is way too many, I am not exagerating when I say thousands on the school yard alone, they just dig a bew hole, for that is fun!

NO I will not take the cat to rescue, we have a humane society with room for half the cats the have, and they usually stay a long time, then we have funds for furry friends, and I promise more than over run with cats. It would by law have to be taken to the pound, where rescue cannot take it, they don't have room, it would be killed, and the life it has is better than no life at all, I just think when they have a home, and a little girl they should work at keeping it inside, it is not that hard.

rodent breeding, well he has about 3000 rats and mice, a few thousand hamsters and guinea pigs, and about a dozen rabbits, the rabbits are exclusivly for pet stores, rodents are sold for food to the zoo and other reptile people, and the pet stores.. they are kept in breeding cages, and are bred often. There is NOTHING one can do about this, he is not doing anything wrong, and is amazing about the reptiles I will give him that, they are treated like royalty, very well, and many many are rescues, he has all kinds, from spitting cobras, to chamealons, to 22' pythons, to 12' alligator, sting rays, pirhannas, euromastics, rattle snakes.. anacondas.. everything, they are all housed in huge areas ect.. this is his life and is very good at it, it is huge and I have no prob with anything reptile he does. But there is nothing that can be done about the rodents, there is a demand for them, and he follows the law.

I think things here are different to other places in Canada, as there are few cities, many small towns, and zillions of large scale farms, every square inch of southern manitoba is farmed, and there is a lot of the mentality that animals are dispoasable, and if they dont make money, or they cause trouble, they are shot.. It is slowly beginning to change, I hope.
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi

Can't u call the HS about the horses hooves etc? Also about the dog water and food being left out all day...that could bred bacteria?

Now, this may sound funny but I'm being serious. Is there birth control for rodents? I know they use to give the Canada Geese in Toronto birth control.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

I too can't understand people who have dogs and don't care for them...why get them?

I live in a condo and there is another apartment right across the parking lot from me...there are these "people" who have what looks to be a black lab crossed with something else big and black (it's kinda fluffy)...anywho, it barks to be let out onto the balcony and then barks to be let back in...every once in a while, they will hose off their balcony and the folks under them get to have all this crap on their balcony! I have spoken to the SPCA and they said the dog looked healthy so no problem. I never see this dog walked (keep in mind the apartment they live in is a 1 bdrm approx. 600sq. ft with 4-5 adults and this BIG dog)...its owners are home 24/7 and usually out on the balcony drinking/smoking and cussing. I have tried talking to the management company over there, but they are useless

I know where you are coming from lUvMyLaB<3 and it makes me sad too :sad:

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Tuff situation and spot to be in.

If you don't want to be implicated in an investigation, I would take photos of the horses and huskies and anonymously address it to the humane society. Complaints are normally investigated and you do not have to give your name.
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'm a softy

yes birth control would be not putting a boy and a girl in the same cage.. however this is his business and wont be stopping soon...

Me and the whole world I think has called about the dogs not seeing a vet and the horses, there is no by law in his municipality about the number of animals you can have.. and as long as there is food/shelter/and water he is good. that is what we are told all the time... there is no spca or whatever here, in brandon there is a 'humane society' but is just a shelter or a small number of animals, they don't go out and rescue, in fact they turn most people that need to give up an animal away, the ones they have, lots have been there a long time. Very few are from bad situations but from things like having to give up when someone goes to a nursing home or something like that..

So see really there is no humane society, what we do is call police, and they can investigate if they feel like it, if it was terrible yes animals would be seized and probably go to FFFF, but these will not be, they have food/sheler/water, that is all that matters. There is no one but the police to call. and I have.
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:51 AM
-

Hopefully some of the attached link could be of use:

http://www.brandonhumanesociety.ca/r...mal-abuse.html
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

What about the cat needing vet medical attention? We have cats trapped, brought into the shelter, and the cat has issues with it. When the owner comes to claim their cat, they are issued orders. If you do not have cat roaming by law, there is nothing that the spca can do about that, however owners still have to provide vet care to their pet when needed.

Maybe trapping this cat is worth whiled. Now, they might not even bother to come and claim the cat, however if they don't. Better for the cat. She can find a loving home...indoors.

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; June 19th, 2009 at 11:46 AM.
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrl View Post
I live in a condo and there is another apartment right across the parking lot from me...there are these "people" who have what looks to be a black lab crossed with something else big and black (it's kinda fluffy)...anywho, it barks to be let out onto the balcony and then barks to be let back in...every once in a while, they will hose off their balcony and the folks under them get to have all this crap on their balcony! I have spoken to the SPCA and they said the dog looked healthy so no problem. I never see this dog walked (keep in mind the apartment they live in is a 1 bdrm approx. 600sq. ft with 4-5 adults and this BIG dog)...its owners are home 24/7 and usually out on the balcony drinking/smoking and cussing. I have tried talking to the management company over there, but they are useless
Tacogrl it is not law that you have to walk your dog. and there is no law that a dog can not live in a dwelling because of the size of the house. Whether, a 400sp or 600sq place, a rotti can live in it. This is what the spca is trying to get at.

There is emotional talk, then there is the law. Just because you don't like something, doesn't make it to hold up in court.

It seems the people across from you, should be calling the health
department. Now this may sound like a funny question, but are the people aware that by spraying down there balcony, that is it going onto the balcony below. You'd be surprised how dumb people can be.

ACO22
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Tacogrl it is not law that you have to walk your dog. and there is no law that a dog can not live in a dwelling because of the size of the house. Whether, a 400sp or 600sq place, a rotti can live in it. This is what the spca is trying to get at.

There is emotional talk, then there is the law. Just because you don't like something, doesn't make it to hold up in court.

It seems the people across from you, should be calling the health
department. Now this may sound like a funny question, but are the people aware that by spraying down there balcony, that is it going onto the balcony below. You'd be surprised how dumb people can be.

ACO22

I see what you mean, but to keep a dog that size in such cramped quarters and to not at least take it out is inhumane in my eyes.

I doubt they care about their neighbours downstairs...their empties and other garbage end up down there too...the suite below them has a VERY high tenant turnover.

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old June 19th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGrl View Post
I see what you mean, but to keep a dog that size in such cramped quarters and to not at least take it out is inhumane in my eyes.

I doubt they care about their neighbours downstairs...their empties and other garbage end up down there too...the suite below them has a VERY high tenant turnover.
I know it is inhumane, but that is speaking morally, but it is not law. I agree in what you are saying. I would never have a big dog, in a small apartment, but it wouldn't make me breaking the law if I did.

If the dog is in good body condition, has fresh water, shelter, food, gets seen by a vet when needed. There is nothing the spca can do about.

And i have to say that I don't think your neighbours are the one complaining. If your neighbours were complaining, something would be done about it. A building property is not going to let or people get away with this.

This is considered a health issue. The health department would be putting fines on the property and the tenants, if something is not be done.

Feces dripping down, onto someones elses balcony, yeah health issue.

ACO22
ACO22
Old June 19th, 2009, 12:43 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
I know it is inhumane, but that is speaking morally, but it is not law. I agree in what you are saying. I would never have a big dog, in a small apartment, but it wouldn't make me breaking the law if I did.

If the dog is in good body condition, has fresh water, shelter, food, gets seen by a vet when needed. There is nothing the spca can do about.

And i have to say that I don't think your neighbours are the one complaining. If your neighbours were complaining, something would be done about it. A building property is not going to let or people get away with this.

This is considered a health issue. The health department would be putting fines on the property and the tenants, if something is not be done.

Feces dripping down, onto someones elses balcony, yeah health issue.

ACO22
ACO22

They just move out...maybe they do complain before they leave, but the management company over there Our building are condos--their building is a slum.

I don't want to take over this thread...my issues don't even compare to what else is being mentioned here :sad:

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old June 21st, 2009, 09:22 PM
I'm a softy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Tuff situation and spot to be in.

If you don't want to be implicated in an investigation, I would take photos of the horses and huskies and anonymously address it to the humane society. Complaints are normally investigated and you do not have to give your name.
There have been complaints, and a vet even went there when there were rabbits dying for no apparent reason and living in squalor, and nothing done...... I cannot complain to the 'humane society' as we don't really have one in the sense others do, the humane society in Brandon ( this place with the dogs horses rabbit rodents ect) in actually nearer to shilo, in the RM of cornwallis, our brandon humane society is just a shelter, and a small one at that, no investigations ect.. those would be handled by the police animal control, and in this case the province or rcmp..

The cat is not that bad, and if it went to the pound it would doubtfully make it to rescue, I could get it flagged for ffff to pick up after the 3 days, these people would probably claim it though, they have before, it has shelter, water, food, ect.. so I cannot do anything about it, I just couldn't believe that when I went to talk to them about seeing a cat trap so close they didn't care, he sounded like he cared, asked be about what kind of i.d. they could get and I said get a microchip, ect.. but he didn't do anything, when you live in a city, why can you not let the cat inside????? even if it went out sometimes, but they have a door in the garage that in can come and go from and live in there..... They have a little girl!! that kitty should be curled up with her at night!! That makes my daughter ( a HUGE HUGE cat lover ) SO SAD!!!

OH and get this!!!!!!!!! I went out to walk my little dog last night and heard a cat fight over there, so my dog and I ran over to chase them apart, we met the man owner who came out with a broom, we couldn't find the cats, and we talked, he said he didn't like that this cat was loose and always in fights with his cat, he wished he could get it, said he should lock his cat in the garage for a few days and get a trap and trap it and sent it to the pound.. I was like WTF?!?!?!!??!?!?! What are you doing!?!??!?!?!??!??!!! SAME THING!! why is it ok for you and not the next guy??? it was unreal! Like he thinks it is bad for cats to be loose yet his is loose and in the fight too!! I almost died!! as I was leaving his cat was sitting on his front step like nothing had happened...