Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 13th, 2013, 11:43 AM
banned user

Unhappy We're Back

I have all the tools and the know how to do. I even have a trainer, but won't work with Moses and I until I have him under control. He is unstable her words. Now what could I do. I am to take him out alone twice daily around people his attire includes a Martingale Collar/Gentle Leader. No people. I am not to yell, gently pull up on lead and say NO praise with treat ( he has tummy issue trying to fix) words and loving. Somebody please help as I am all alone with him. I need him to stop lunging and going ballistic when either there is a dog or human. When he does these bad no's no's I am supposed to pull on the lead so his eyes meet mine and say NO. Mommy frustrated and Moses not a happy camper, the word no has become my second language while on walks with him. I could not make the entire 20 min as Harley, Moses and I had gone for a long walk this morning. Did I mention Moses is on two leashes now. Please I need advice so that I could turn Moses into the loving dog that he is in the home. He as been in one fight already this dog thot he wanted to play. She then had gone into attack mode and I went into panic mode, owner home Harley went into protection mode, nbr came out with leash. This dog would have killed Moses have I painted a good picture. I really need help, I am losing or already have lost my mind unable to figure that one out.
Old May 13th, 2013, 04:51 PM

I suggest you read up on BAT : http://functionalrewards.com/

If you continually surpass the dog's threshold then no learning can be accomplished.

I would question any 'trainer' who refuses to work with you until you have your dog under control.. isn't the point of a trainer to HELP you? Maybe reach out to one of the BAT trainers listed on the site and they can help you find someone in your local area or at the very least, try and mentor you via emails, etc.
Old May 13th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I am not sure what a Martingale Collar/Gentle Leader looks like, but my last dog wore a Gentle Leader and he was not able to pull me . I know the Gentle Leader has to be put on correctly to work , maybe you could have someone see if you're putting the Martingale Collar/Gentle Leader correctly.
Old May 14th, 2013, 06:20 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I am not sure what a Martingale Collar/Gentle Leader looks like, but my last dog wore a Gentle Leader and he was not able to pull me . I know the Gentle Leader has to be put on correctly to work , maybe you could have someone see if you're putting the Martingale Collar/Gentle Leader correctly.
It is on correct
Old May 14th, 2013, 06:21 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post

If you continually surpass the dog's threshold then no learning can be accomplished.

I would question any 'trainer' who refuses to work with you until you have your dog under control.. isn't the point of a trainer to HELP you? Maybe reach out to one of the BAT trainers listed on the site and they can help you find someone in your local area or at the very least, try and mentor you via emails, etc.
Thank you going to find out if there is one
Old May 14th, 2013, 06:34 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post

I have emailed them, I am not sure what you mean by surpass dog's threshold could you explain please and thank you
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

If your dog is already acting out, lunging, barking etc then he's over his threshold and you're likely not going to have any affect.

If you're a block away from someone and he's still listening to you and not acting psycho, great if they're 1/2 block away and he goes off then you know to start at a block distance. That's being over/under threshold in a nutshell
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:34 AM
banned user

Wink Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
If your dog is already acting out, lunging, barking etc then he's over his threshold and you're likely not going to have any affect.

If you're a block away from someone and he's still listening to you and not acting psycho, great if they're 1/2 block away and he goes off then you know to start at a block distance. That's being over/under threshold in a nutshell
he does this sometimes when near or not usually very good. But when really close that is when he pulls and I have to pull up on his gentle lead and say no wait for that person to continue, calm him down as he is panting once calm I say good dog and give him lots of loving. Do to his tummy issue I am unable to treat him
Old May 15th, 2013, 07:36 AM
banned user

Question thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmin12 View Post
I have emailed them, I am not sure what you mean by surpass dog's threshold could you explain please and thank you
I received no reply
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:14 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
I received no reply
pattymac replied here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

It takes lots of practice, you can also use a toy when he handles someone coming close. Take him out several times a day, doesn't have to be for long.
Old May 15th, 2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
I received no reply
Give them a few days to reply.. I'm sure they are busy people