Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old August 9th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Rescue needs HELP!

PitCrew is potentially in need of some MAJOR help guys! If you can foster, if you know of someone who's thinking about adopting, or even if you know of a rescue who would be willing to help some of these dogs out please let pm me ASAP!

The dogs can be seen at the Petfinder addy listed below.

Also, if anyone knows of a good lawyer in the London/Woodstock/Tillsonburg area who loves dogs please pm me (or Lucky) contact information; which I will forward to PitCrew.

Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------
PITCREW RESCUE
http://www.pitbulldogs.org
http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/ON137.html
Old August 9th, 2004, 07:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, this is very bad news for the abused, dumped pit bulls in Ontario.
Old August 10th, 2004, 10:54 PM

Let me get this ban lifted, and you can be sure I'll help!
Old August 11th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

This is exactly the first thought that came to my mind,hearing about the Pitt-ban.What will happen to Pittcrew????How long before this idiotic ban reaches all of Ontario? Is it already in motion or just a proposal for the London area?
There must be thousands of Pitt-owners out there and others willing to put up a fight for these unfortunate dogs....
Old August 11th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Pitcrew is facing a potential re-zoning bylaw (or something to that extent). With this re-zoning bylaw they are pretty much trying to enforce that Pitcrew can only have 3 dogs. (Like it is in most towns...) I don't know the entire story; they are investigating their options right now. I really hope everything works out for them.
Old August 11th, 2004, 10:35 AM

Update-extremely Urgent Dogs!!!

This is where we stand right now - I have SEVEN DAYS to remove ALL dogs from my property. Right now that leaves SIX rescues that MUST BE GONE!!! My personal dogs will either have to go into boarding and/or move out of the jurisdiction with me until the municipal by-law officer inspects my property and deems that I have dissolved my kennel and that I am no longer in violation of the by-law. After that time I will be allowed to tag and keep on the property only THREE of my own personal dogs.

All these years I've been helping other people's castaways and now my own dogs are getting screwed because of it. This SUCKS!!!

Andrea
aka PITCREW
Old August 11th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh Andrea!! I am so sorry that it's turned out this way!! What about your grandfathering, not going to happen?

How about the other property?

My offer to foster still stands. (thats bull)
Old August 11th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

This is terrible you guys do such good work educating and rehoming these little furkids. When are they going to wake up and realize that it is not the dogs but irresponsible ignorant owners. I personally feel that they are using K/W as a testing ground to try and implement this everywhere else. I feel as dog owners we really need to help in this battle. Of course if you only track one type of dog there will be high numbers of bites from that breed. Plus the fact that Lhasa Apso bites child doesn't have quite the headline grab as Pit Bull bites child. Thank the media for that lopsided coverage of dog bites and attacks. Maybe since the media has helped to perpetuate this ban maybe it is time they tried to help instead of hinder.
Old August 11th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

The BSL in Kitchener has been in affect since 1998! This is nothing new. It's really sad. They actually have already tried to pass BSL in Tillsonburg and it failed. I will search for the link, I don't have it right now...
I presume this is the next step, by just saying that no one can have more then 3 dogs on your property... what a shame!

Here's potential BSL locations: BS (L)

Here's the concil meeting minutes: (for Tillsonburg)
Council reviewed correspondence received from the Town of Tilsonburg with respect to regulating pit bull and rottweiler dogs.
Resolution 99-23
Moved by Lucy Konkin
Seconded by Lou Madonna

RESOLVED that Council of the Township of Prince endorse the following resolution of the Town of Tillsonburg:

WHEREAS the Municipal Act 1990 does not allow municipalities to regulate or prohibit a class or breed of dog nor is there a specific provision in the Act pertaining to dogs that allows for the prohibition or regulation of dogs by breed or class

AND WHEREAS the rottweiler and the pitbull are breeds of dogs that have shown a propensity to be vicious and attack endangering both human life and that of other animals in the Town of Tillsonburg and elsewhere in the Province of Ontario;

AND WHEREAS the Town of Tillsonburg has completed significant research and review of animal control and has enacted by-laws to regulate and restrict the acts of vicious dogs in the Town of Tillsonburg;

AND WHEREAS the Town of Tillsonburg has previously deemed it expedient and necessary to have specific legislation permitting the Town to regulate and restrict the rottweiler and pitbull dog in the Town of Tillsonburg through the Municipal Act, RSO 1990

AND WHEREAS the Council of the Corporation of the Town of Tillsonburg has petitioned the Legislative Assembly of Ontario in a letter dated May 1, 1998 with over 1,000 signatures through their local Member of Parliament

AND WHEREAS another vicious attack has occurred on a boy in West Williams Township near Strathroy, Ontario by two rottweiler dogs leaving the child in critical condition

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the Council of the Corporation of the Town of Tillsonburg request the Minister of Municipal Affairs for the Province of Ontario to enact the permissive legislation to restrict and regulate both the rottweiler and pitbull dog through the Municipal Act 1990 that will allow the Town of Tillsonburg and all municipalities across the Province of Ontario to address the significant danger posed to citizens prior to a vicious attack by those dogs
Failed.

Link: meeting minutes

Last edited by sammiec; August 11th, 2004 at 11:19 AM. Reason: links
Old August 11th, 2004, 02:51 PM

Andrea, who issued this Order upon you?

Ok guys,

You all know that I've been investigating into BSL issues. After speaking with officials at the CFHS, this is what we need to do and recognize.

This is a very big issue. I believe BSL has come into play as a sneak attack. What I mean by this is that we as citizens have been for the most part unaware or ignorant to very real actions that have been in play, and as a result we've have a very quiet voice. What this means is that we are now sitting in very advanced stages of BSL implementation, and have quite a heavy fight on our hands.

Without action from here, it will only get worse. It's time to start fighting.

Today it may only be Pit Bulls, but we all know dog bite incidents will not cease because Pit Bulls are all but extinct. Next it will be a different breed, then another... than another. The insanity will not stop until there are zero bites reported... which means no dogs.

Action to take locally:

1) You need to find sympathetic ears in your community, most importanly ones that sit in places of power. Make phone calls to city counsellers. Find out who is opposed to BSL. These people will be your voices, your best friends.

2) Find factual data. This is a very interesting item to note. It would appear that factual bite data is very hard to come by. While the City of Kitchener can provide statistical dog bite data prior to BSL implementation, it appears that there has been absoutely ZERO follow up with Health Department reports of bite incidents since implementation. As a result, it would appear that dog bite incidents have decreased when in actuality, they probably haven't. The only thing they will claim is that Pit Bull related incidents have dropped (obviously), but they are not providing facts pertaining to other dogs. WE NEED THIS EVIDENCE!

3) The approach we need to be taking in terms of fighting BSL is by providing to City Counsel a reason for removing or preventing BSL. Specifically, "What benefits will be achieved to the safety of the public by removing a Pit Bull Ban".

This is the toughest question of all. We need to be able to prove that there is a safety benefit to removing the restriction. This is one thing that I am putting a lot of thought into myself, since it will be a very hard angle to prove. Does anyone have any ideas?

-----------------

In the meantime, I'll see what I can pull up about London. What it sounds like they are doing is classifying your rescue shelter as a standard residence. Most cities have provisions for the number of animals allowed to be in a residence, and 3 is the Standard. Toronto allows for 6. However, certain places are excluded from this provision, pounds, pet shops, etc.

Have you investigated options to classify your operation as a "pound" or a "pet shop"? Get in touch with a lawyer, and your local HS asap! Also remember that municipal HS's are either operated independantly or are governed by the SPCA. Find out which London classifies as.
Old August 11th, 2004, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG Andrea,I am speachless,that is so incredibly unfair...I am so sorry
I suppose there will be a killing-spree in your area shelters on Rottweilers and Pits,it's just too difficult even to imagine.
Where is the media now?????
I soo very much wish I could help out and take a couple of dogs,but I can't If you had a licence as a shelter,would they let you keep the dogs???
Even here in Oakville we have a 3-dog,5-cat limit...is that your problem,or the fact that they are pits?
I know Andrea probably cannot answer,she must be devastated
Old August 13th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Any news about Pitcrew and Andrea?
Old August 13th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Andrea, I can't begin to understand the frustration and heartbreak this is for you. I wish I could take them all for you!!

I have spread the word around town, and I was thinking about you today...it being the end of the week.

I wonder if they were all poodles, yorkies, JRTs, Goldens or even Collies if the same pressure would come to play.

However, I just found out from my friend who breeds cockers (and he is a professional breeder) that he has to reduce the amount of dogs he has as well. Even though they're show dogs or in training to be so.

It's not only where you live, I think crack downs are coming because of the puppy mills but they're being redirected onto the innocent individuals.
Old August 13th, 2004, 06:14 PM

I think you're right about it not being just Pit Bulls. Personally I think it's a lot of people making what they call "nuisance complaints" about excessive barking, smell, et cetera on those of us who have multiple dogs. I notice they are setting limits now for other rural areas as well. For sure it makes it tougher for me because of the breed(s) I have (not all of my dogs are even Pits but all are bully breeds so they are all being painted with the same brush.)

I've talked to one lawyer already that didn't sound like I had much legal recourse but I have an appointment with another lawyer Tuesday to see what he has to say. I find it incredible that I have as few rights as this bylaw guy would make it sound like and the fact that he refused to give Dave copies of the bylaw information today just makes me think that we're being railroaded.

I'm more than willing to comply with much of what they are asking for but I refuse to accept that my own personal dogs cannot be Grandfathered, (legal non-conforming.) I'm willing to give up rescue, we've got a rototiller coming tomorrow to cultivate the back yard with lime, we've ordered extra pick-ups on our dumpster and I'm also complying with everything else that he nailed me with while he was here (weeds more than 8 inches high, unplated vehicles in the driveway and other BS.)

Most of my dogs are tattooed and/or microchipped and I'm even willing to go and have all of them done to prove that I'm not going to replace existing animals. (It's bad enough that I'll have to worry about neighbours shooting or poisoning the dogs I have now since they now know that I can't replace them once they die. )

This old girl's got a few tricks up her sleeve yet. They've underestimated me in a big way if they think they can just make some threats and I'll "dispense of these dogs." That bylaw officer will be building snowmen in hell before I'll let harm come to my own dogs.
Old August 13th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

If you have a good vet maybe they could keep the dogs there in boarding for a few days
Old August 13th, 2004, 06:31 PM

Well I have to talk to the vet anyway about tattooing and sedation since I doubt these hillbillies even have microchip scanners here I will be asking about boarding too since most of my dogs really like the vets and they wouldn't be in a totally strange place then.

My dogs have been so clingy these past few days that it's just sad. They know Mom is upset so they all gather around me wherever I go. My washroom is very small and one will stand in the bathtub so that they can fit 3 of them if I'm in there! I could never turn my back on that kind of loyalty. I'll do whatever it takes to protect these dogs.
Old August 13th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Andrea did you see the post from LoveABull about someone being interested in Brew?? Is that for adoption or fostering? Can't see you letting that ol' gal go!
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Even if there's a way to get some of them into foster care. But people are so standoffish! I"m not giving up hope Andrea

BTW how is SLIM
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:40 PM

Oh Slim is just great. He is such a handsome, friendly, healthy devil now. He is going to a foster home tomorrow which will be a big relief for me since he is one of my favourites.
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hey thats Grrrrreat for Slim yaaa buddy!

You did great with him Andrea!! Thank u for what you do for these special souls!
Attached Images

Old August 14th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for the update on Slim,you are an angel for all you've done for these animals.The unfairness of it all,just stuns me...
I am just a little confused,do you have to get rid of the dogs because you have an illegal shelter? Could you get licenced as a shelter?
Then the 3-dog by-law would not effect you,unless you live in a subdivision.
After all,you are saving tons of money for the HS.
Old August 14th, 2004, 09:46 AM

I will try to clear up your confusion chico.

In the bylaws of this municipality it reads: "Animal kennel means any lot, building or structure, on or within which household pets are housed or are to be housed, groomed, bred, boarded, trained or sold and which may offer provisions for minor medical treatment."

So basically ANYONE with even ONE household pet can be considered a kennel. I am told by other bylaw people that they word it so vaguely like this so that in the event of what they call "nuisance complaints" (barking, smell, etc.,) that it gives them a loophole in which to try and persue the issue.

The municipality that I live in NEVER had a limit as to how many dogs you could have. (One woman here has 11 dogs all tagged.) But a lot of rural residential areas are now passing bylaws (and enforcing them too,) that restrict the number of dogs and cats that people have.

At this point I have no issue with proving to them that I have no kennel, I have no problem with shutting down the resuce, I have no problem complying with all the other nitpicky crap they nailed me with while they were out here. But where I draw the line is that I expect my own personal dogs to be "Grandfathered" (granted legal non-conforming status) and have them be allowed to live out their natural lives here. I won't replace them, my numbers won't go up, but I refuse to abandon my own dogs because they decide that what was okay one day is not the next.

I hope that clears up some of the confusion - actually, it still seems confusing to ME because I can't believe that they can actually do this!
Old August 14th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

I moved this here so more people will see it.
Old August 14th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

So if you tag them all, they can stay is that my understanding. The lady with 11 can keep hers but you can't? Hmm well now, why dont' they just get licenced then? Unless I"m very confused!

You can get people to sponsor them for the licence fee through paypal or something.
Old August 15th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I spoke with Andrea today, things are starting to come together. They are cleaning and moving things from the property. The doggies are doing alright. Dottie has a home and Slim is at a new foster. Eddie has a home in Hamilton I think it is... Peggy, Stacy, Junior are the only ones left I think. If Andrea gets a chance to log on, she might coorect that if I am wrong....

We have decided to foster / adopt Danny Boy!!! I am meeting Andrea tomorrow to pick him up!!! I'm really excited and REALLY nervous!! I hope everything works out!! I will have an update tomorrow or Tuesday!!!
Old August 15th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Danny Boy I had to go look at you!
Sam you are more then terrific (hugs)
Attached Images

Old August 15th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Luba! He's a mix, and that's FINE by me - better for house insurance !! I can't wait to get him! And I'll have updated pics for you guys real soon!
Old August 15th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww,Sammie you're amazing
I am still a little dottie,Andrea has to get rid of the dogs only because of the new 3-dog by-law,right? Not because they are pits or pitx's?
Or is the BSL already in effect....I heard on the news a while back,that owners with pits can keep them,they just don't want any more,is that true??
I thought all pits would have to be PTS
Please excuse me for beeing a bit slow in grasping this sad situation.
Did Briggs already meet her new pal? I really hope they get along and with Connor too....Good Luck!!
Old August 15th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, from what I understand Andrea was forced to get rid of all the dogs except 3, just because they are dogs. There is nothing stating that because they are pit bulls they have to go.
I think it was last year, Tillsonburg tried to pass BSL on pit bulls, but it failed. Then they had passed this bylaw without any public notice. I am under the impression that everyone having more then 3 dogs MUST rehome or have them PTS...
Andrea was trying to fight to have her dogs gradnfathered. Her point is that she already owns the dogs and that the bylaw should be from this day forward. She says that she shouldn't be forced to get rid of the dogs, but instead she can keep them until they pass away and cannot replace them with other dogs... I see her point and I agree.
I hope that helps out Chico - but no, there is no BSL in place. This is their OTHER way of getting what they want...
Old August 16th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Sammie,now I am all enlightened
Although this situation is sad enough for Andrea and her dogs,at least she is not being targeted for owning pitbulls as I originally thought.
This all happened at the same time Babs told us about BSL,so I assumed this was the reason.
I have yet to get the posters copied,having trouble finding a colour-copier,but I was told "Staples" have one.The poster does not have the same impact in black and white.
I will be on pins and needles until I find out how our sweet Briggs and Connor reacts to a new member of the family.