Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old July 28th, 2008, 09:48 PM

Looking to own a Min Pin

I am looking at owning my first doggie - a min pin. I know they are very energetic etc... (so am I LOL) I've done quite a bit of reading about this breed although I still have some concerns and questions.

I live in an apartment building on the top floor -
#1 - I'm a little worried about my neighbours and barking. Are min pins prone to do a lot of barking? I've read on some sites that they bark quite a bit - is this true? Or do they only bark when they hear sounds? (mailman, elevator etc..)

#2 - I cant say I would not be nervous about being so high up as I have a balcony I've read that min pins are prone to jump up and that they are really quick and sneaky. Of course I would be very careful although I'd still be nervous about the height and every time I open the balcony door.

I have done some research but I'm having a tough time. I came across what seems like a very reputable breeder in Ontario that has a litter available next spring but they already have a full waiting list~sigh~.

There is one other which seems reputable- well from their website but I still would prefer the first one as they offered to take back the pooch should there be any health risks or if I would not be able to care for the dog whereas the other breeder does not state this anywhere on their website or in the email I received.

Any advise or comments from someone who has a min pin would be greatly appreciated. I really want to make 100% sure that this is the type of dog for me. Thank you in advance for your help.
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:18 AM

MinPin

My two mini-pins are the love of my life (my husband's too). Val and Ceasar do not tend to bark a lot unless provoked (ie "outsiders" and "strangers") however, they sit on the top of the couch, and watch out the front door at times to "keep tabs on the neighborhood"; in essence, they are our "protectors". Neither dog has ever tried to jump from the window of the car, but Ceasar DOES tend to get awful close to the window while we're driving; I keep his leash intact when he's that close...dread the thought if we took a corner too quickly, and he fell out. They all have different personalities (just like anything else)...Ceasar will sit next to me, but not on me, but Valentine would love to lay on one of us at all times. They both tend to "dig" into the sheets/blankets/towels, and Ceasar actually put a whole into an old couch (but there had been previous dogs on it previous to our ownership), so that could be something to pay attn to. I can't give you any suggestions on breeders; we rec'd Valentine from a friend, and then had her bred, which gave us Ceasar (and his brother who went to a friend). Good luck. They are amazing babies.
Old July 29th, 2008, 10:07 AM

Well as someone who has done MinPin rescue for 10+ years I don't recommend them as a first time dog unless you are willing to do a lot of learning and training. They are SMART dogs who aren't really easy. They may be little but they are a big dog in a small package.

Yes they can be noisy, hard to house train, snotty and they are the worst dogs to spoil!!! SO that being said if you are willing to work with your dog, treat it like a dog and not a cute little toy you will be fine! They need LOTS of exercise, mental stimulation and attention or they will manage to get into lots of trouble.

Make sure you do find an excellent breeder as temperament is very important and you want support from the breeder as well if things don't work you want to be able to return the dog at any time.

If you have any questions I am happy to answer them!!! I had big dogs including a working GSD then I got my first MinPin and my real education into naughty dogs! LOL
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:24 AM
NOT a senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA View Post
Well as someone who has done MinPin rescue for 10+ years I don't recommend them as a first time dog unless you are willing to do a lot of learning and training. They are SMART dogs who aren't really easy. They may be little but they are a big dog in a small package.

Yes they can be noisy, hard to house train, snotty and they are the worst dogs to spoil!!! SO that being said if you are willing to work with your dog, treat it like a dog and not a cute little toy you will be fine! They need LOTS of exercise, mental stimulation and attention or they will manage to get into lots of trouble.

Make sure you do find an excellent breeder as temperament is very important and you want support from the breeder as well if things don't work you want to be able to return the dog at any time.

If you have any questions I am happy to answer them!!! I had big dogs including a working GSD then I got my first MinPin and my real education into naughty dogs! LOL
I aggree with EVERYTHING in this post regarding Miniature Pinschers, and you are wise to take these things to heart. I would NOT recommend a Minpin for an apartment, PERIOD...especially due to the barking. These are very high maintenance dogs, and are probably the most vocal I have ever owned (I have two). They can be little tyrants, snap and be difficult to control. They MUST be leashed always out doors, not a dog for a dog park. They require much more excercise than other toy breeds....VERY high energy. If you live somewhere where neighbours are not an issue, no small children, are experienced with dog handling, and enjoy several long walks a day....these may be the dog for you.

There is a reason that there are many Minpin rescues out there. People just haven't done their homework regarding the breed. They are wonderful animals, but just like any dog...definately not for everyone.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:36 PM

Min Pins

Thank you for all the great replies. I am going to rethink my decision about getting a min pin as I agree it would be hard to have one in an apartment. I love these dogs - whenever I see pictures of them it always put a big smile on my face and my eyes get all teary because they are just so darn adorable. I've read so many stories on people who own them and how much they love their min pins - high energy and all. Guess I'll have to search for another breed of dog.
Old July 31st, 2008, 09:46 PM

The other idea is to adopt an older MinPin that is used to life in an apartment or able to live in one, which is more than possible. There are older ones that may suit such a life. Between the ages of 3-5 they are much more settled which may be more suitable for you if you are not dead set on a puppy. That's the route I took when I got my first MinPin and was living in an apartment! Not all dogs in rescue are naughty!!! Many are lovely, I just adopted out a wonderful MinPin to a gal in an apartment so it can be done. Just a note: MinPins can live well into their 20's so they are a long living breed!!! My first MinPin that I adopted at 7 is still here and now 17!!! Here's Chopper swimming a few weeks ago at the beach!!

Old July 31st, 2008, 09:54 PM
NOT a senior member

I really hate to burst your bubble regarding this breed, because they truly are wonderful, and I wouldn't trade my two for anything. What would be worst though, would be falling in love with a dog which did not suite your lifestyle and having to part with it. I commend you on doing your research and taking the responses to your post seriously. Unfortunately, there are many people who acquire dogs because of the way they look, instead of doing what you have done and asked questions.

I can honestly say that after having dogs for as long as I have....these two little monkeys I have now, have been by far the most challenging. And I've had alot of dogs . It's embarrassing sometimes how badly behaved they can be, but on another note...they are the most loving.

I really feel bad to dissuade you from the dog you are drawn to...but in all honestly I feel an easier breed more suitable for you in your position. There are alot of wonderful dogs out there that will be just perfect for you. AND we all want to see pictures!

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......