Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:20 AM

husky/lab pup

my girlfriend and i picked up a husky/lab pup about 2wks ago, he was 8wks at the time. now ive never had a dog before and my girlfriends experience is limited at best. flint is nearly house broken (a few accidents here and there, about once a day at this point), he comes when you call and sits when you tell him to (atleast he does for me). we put a harness (without a leash) on him when we take him out and he stays right with us, doesnt get more than 15ft from you without turning back. we live in the country on a 5 acre lot surrounded by apply orchards with no neighbors no real traffic on our road so he has plenty of room to run and play. if we take the harness off outside he just lays down and wont move, im not sure why or where he picked that up from. everything seems to be going great right now with a few exceptions but im wondering what else i could expect from flint as he gets older/bigger. how big will he get? also my girlfriends cat thinks hes a dog but hes overweight and lazy now, he likes to lay with the dog but when the dog is awake he isnt such a big fan of this and bites the cat trying to get him to play with him, is there any way i could help to stop this? flint didnt do the biting on the cat thing until i took him to my parents and he began playing with their blue heeler (mixed with something small that i cant remember, about 20lbs full grown), she loves to play rough. its at that same time he started biting our hands when we pet him... any tips how to stop this when its people and cats the dog is playing with? also flint is about 25lbs right now, any ideas on how big he could get?

well any tips would be great... i know i sure could use em.