Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 14th, 2004, 01:28 AM

Iams

In my mailbox today I got a package from Peta with some stickers on Iams cruelty and a poster, so my boyfreind went out to do some shopping and he had to go the the petsore to get some food and catnip and he took some stickers with him to stick on their board and some bags of food, he said he felt so naughty I took a walk to the store and put some on some poles on the way and on the way back I saw someone looking at them, I dont feel naughty at all. I still have alot left and will be sticking them all over Brantford.
Old December 14th, 2004, 02:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonlover
In my mailbox today I got a package from Peta with some stickers on Iams cruelty and a poster, so my boyfreind went out to do some shopping and he had to go the the petsore to get some food and catnip and he took some stickers with him to stick on their board and some bags of food, he said he felt so naughty I took a walk to the store and put some on some poles on the way and on the way back I saw someone looking at them, I dont feel naughty at all. I still have alot left and will be sticking them all over Brantford.
All I'm going to say is, please use some discretion where you stick them. Not just PETA, but I have seen some other activist groups putting thier stickers all over the place, and it really irratates me to see them do it to public property like walls of buildings and street signs and such. My taxes have to pay to remove those, and if they cause any damage coming off, it is quite expensive. Not commenting on the cause or anything, just asking for discretion. It can (and has) work against otherwise well-meaning groups.
Old December 14th, 2004, 02:39 AM

Thanks for the advice, mostly I would like to put them on bags of food. While I was walking today I went by a mailbox, but stopped from putting any there, the telephone poles I put them on are made of wood and it was too wet to put them on any concrete poles, but I wont put any on there now. The pet store I shop at has a bulletin board for lost and found pets and pets for sale, I did put one there, thought it would be seen by many and maybe change a few minds about Iams.
Old December 14th, 2004, 09:23 PM

Talking just woundering

just woundering what is the controversy with iams?im sorry but i dont know anything about it,and i dont feed it either,i feed either kent dog food or diamond dog food.
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:00 PM

Just go to IamsCruelty.com
Old December 15th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

If anyone's interested, Mix 99.9 really pushes Iams. The also support the Toronto Humane Society (and if that isn't ironic enough, they support the BSL as well). You can check out thier website www.mix999.com if you want to make a comment.
Old December 16th, 2004, 12:41 AM
A.R.Activist & Vet Assis.

Well, myself personally, I will stick them everywhere and anywhere I see fit Schwinn. Sorry of it bothers or irritates you but the fact that IAMS is performing these unneccessary and cruel tests on these innocent dogs and cats.....well, THAT irritates me. So, if you really want to stop activists or concerned persons from posting alerts regarding Iams, perhaps, vent at them (Iams) If they stop testing, I'll gladly stop posting.
Oh and btw, I am still able to ship out info....stickers, leaflets,etc if needed. Iams os not my only cause however. So, if you have questions regarding a concern or cause, let me know.....I may have info I can ship to you. :love:
Oh and remember.......keep writing to JRFM as they too sponser Iams and wow, what a response from the previous letters!!!!!! G-R-E-A-T JOB ALL!!!!!!
Old December 16th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shae
Well, myself personally, I will stick them everywhere and anywhere I see fit Schwinn. Sorry of it bothers or irritates you but the fact that IAMS is performing these unneccessary and cruel tests on these innocent dogs and cats.....well, THAT irritates me. So, if you really want to stop activists or concerned persons from posting alerts regarding Iams, perhaps, vent at them (Iams) If they stop testing, I'll gladly stop posting.
Actually, it was just a piece of advice to anyone who wanted to further thier cause, not lose the message on those who are offended by vandalism. But hey, I guess if your part of a terrorist group like PETA, that isn't of concern. It's called respect. You don't have to respect the company, but respect the others. Because if you don't respect those you are trying to reach, they won't respect you. And then it becomes a waste of time. But it's your time, so you do what you see fit. And please post your number as well, so the tax payers in the area who have to fund the clean-up of your vandalism know where to send the bill.
Old December 16th, 2004, 12:49 PM

I wonder what PETA has to say about all the shelterd pit bulls bryant wants sent to research facillities, for cuel experiments, when his bill passes? I'm sure if IAM's was only doing cruel things to pit bulls, PETA would most likely be supporting IAM's. Is PETA really about stoping cuelty to dog's and other animals, or just the one's Ingrid Newkirk approves.
I mean no disrespect to you pesonaly Shae, I'm aware, you volunteer a lot of your time for good causes, And you have no control over PETA's extrem veiws. But PETA supports the killing of all bully breeds, and BSL, and I cannot support PETA. There strategy seems to shock tacticts, and vadalizim, instead of educating the public, and fairness to all creatures. Yes PETA has done some good, but for the most part, It's done for there own good.
Old December 16th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntman
I wonder what PETA has to say about all the shelterd pit bulls bryant wants sent to research facillities, for cuel experiments, when his bill passes? I'm sure if IAM's was only doing cruel things to pit bulls, PETA would most likely be supporting IAM's. Is PETA really about stoping cuelty to dog's and other animals, or just the one's Ingrid Newkirk approves.
I mean no disrespect to you pesonaly Shae, I'm aware, you volunteer a lot of your time for good causes, And you have no control over PETA's extrem veiws. But PETA supports the killing of all bully breeds, and BSL, and I cannot support PETA. There strategy seems to shock tacticts, and vadalizim, instead of educating the public, and fairness to all creatures. Yes PETA has done some good, but for the most part, It's done for there own good.
And that's why most people tune out any message as soon as they hear "PETA".
Old December 16th, 2004, 05:51 PM

I don't take part in vandalizing. A sticker such as these are easily removed. You obviously took great offence by me Schwinn. I wasn't knocking your opinion at all, please don't get me wrong. I have had many run ins with Iams. I have tried reasoning with them, I have tried arguing, they don't get it. So, now, I have email campaigns, letter writing campaigns and yes, the stickers, etc. I am not a paid member of Peta however. I look at what cause needs attention and I jump in and volunteer what time I can to the cause.I'm not a follower as I actually disagree with some of Petas tactics, YET, I must agree with some of them. It's a matter of looking at the cause at hand and making my own choice. I realize many don't agree with what Peta stands for. That's fine ......and I also realize that being active with some of their causes affiliates me with them which in turn can cause people to judge me unfairly. Thats ok too. I lived my entire life being shy and quiet and going with the majority and never disagreeing. What Iams is doing is wrong.....for the 1st time in 30 years, I speak my mind about it in public demos, etc. and try not to worry what people think of me. So, I do apologise if you think I was being disrespectful to you at all. That wasnt my intention. I tend to grit my teeth everytime I even think about the needless suffering Iams is causing pets.....then they post these commercials claiming to be so damn concerned about your pets wellbeing. So, I hope you have a better understanding of what I am saying.....or am I rambling? And for the record, I hear your point and respect the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinion. :love:
Old December 16th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Shae I get what you are doing and I agree that you have to pick your battles. But as an animal lover I wonder how can Peta be against research facilities but it is okay to use Pit Bulls I think they are hypocritical and I have found that they are also extremists and that is something I would not want to be associated with. Animal research is animal research no matter what the animal, it is wrong
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 16th, 2004, 10:06 PM

I couldn't agree with you more Mastiff. I'm not sure, in all honesty what you're referring to with the pitt bulls. Ummmmm, As a general rule, I'm against ALL breeding and pet stores until we can get these animals off death row that are so desperate for a loving home. But it sounds like you're saying the Peta thinks it's acceptable to test on the breed??? I've never heard that. In the 16 yrs at the animal hospital, I can only remember 1 really really nasty pitt bull. And I certainly don't place the blame on the breed itself. We've had many more Chows, poodles, rotts, sheps,cockers, etc etc.... that were biters or generally aggressive. In fact, not that I ever played favs BUT there is one dog that I remember so vividly that I absolutley adored. She was a white pit bull from England. I had to pill this animal, I had to sink an IV into her, I had to draw blood from her and do basic treatments and not once did I feel threatened by her. Often the animals , even the friendly ones if in pain, need muzzling.......but she just would whimper at times, lick my hand or my face.......just a poof cake. I cant help but smile whenever I think of her.
(Sorry got off topic a bit) So, feel free to enlighten me if you wish.
In short Iams is a crap company that needs to STOP testing PERIOD....and well, lets face it, its AR orgs that assist huge in demos and signs and media........it helps to get the word out.
Old December 16th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I understand what you are saying, Shae, and even agree with you. What I'm saying is that the people you need to reach are the ones who are going to be offended. They aren't going to think "Iams is bad", they're going to think, "Great. Someone else plastering our neighbourhood with thier protest stickers." I say this as a person who's career has been dealing with the public and a degree in Sociology, not someone who has a beef with PETA. Take it for what it's worth, and I do appreciate your respect of my opinion.
Old December 30th, 2004, 08:18 PM

I have stopped using Iams completely not just because of the cruelty but also because the company was bought out (general foods or proctor & Gamble i'm not sure). Their quality has gone down. I have found a terrific new food with NUTRO and is uses real chicken or beef not meal. It also contains glucosamine which I found to help with my Cassie's joints.

Rogue
Old December 30th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I was not going to comment on this thread BUT I have to agree with Schwinn. (Did I just say that, lol) PETA has some good ideas and campaigns but they tend to make the rest of look bad on occasion and we all loose in the process. They tend not to think about the society they live in and how the get their message out.

Maybe I just live in a relatively conservative area but tactics like picketing KFC because of injustice to chickens just get bad press here and become fodder for the local comics. Thus they lose the audience of so many people who would support their main causes.

Now I do realize chickens need to be treated humanely and the fact that they miss is that the very people they insult - small hard working organic farmers who raise chickens for eggs - are not thrilled with being made fun.

I guess on a wider level zealots scare me. There has to be a middle ground - we can have w world which is huamane to animals and others but you won;t get it if people feel hurt by your meesage.
Old December 31st, 2004, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
I was not going to comment on this thread BUT I have to agree with Schwinn. (Did I just say that, lol)
Hey, sometimes I make good points. Even a broke clock gets it right twice a day!

I've heard lots of people talk about activist groups and say, "You know, everytime I see so-and-so-group, I just do whatever they are protesting against". While I agree this isn't the most mature and rational arguement (and it's a little of cutting off your nose to spite your face), to me, it shows that the message that is trying to get out is getting lost. For example, fur. I think you'd find that the majority of the public agrees that fur for fashion is wrong. I have supported anti-fur messages in the past (including from PETA). But when you get in someone's face, and scream about something, it quite often has the opposite effect. Those of us who are directly affected by the BSL can relate. If we were to march down the middle of the road screaming about pitbulls, how effective would our message be?