Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Closed Thread

Old November 16th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Angry My cat is in heat 99% of the time!!!!

My one year old (as of today) cat, Bast, is in heat almost ALL the time!! She only has a 3 or 4 day (sometimes) break in between heats, and I can NOT afford to get her spayed right now! Is this normal to have her going into heat so much??? I'm almost tearing my hair out, any advice from anyone would be great!!!!
Old November 16th, 2005, 12:08 PM

Yes it is normal. Cat will go into perpetual heat until they become pregnant or get spayed. Maybe you could check out a spay clinic in your area. Our local spay clinic only charges $60 for a spay as opposed to the $150 the vets charge. Just a suggestion. They best thing for your little kitty is to be fixed as soon as you can afford it. The heat is probably annoying not only to you, but to the cat as well.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old November 16th, 2005, 12:25 PM

Unfortunately I live in a small town :sad: we don't have any spay clinics here. The only place to go is the vet and they charge $95 for cats who aren't in heat, and $150 when they are I didn't think cats went into heat so often! Ah well, thanks anyways!
Old November 16th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Senior Contributor

If it's driving you nuts, imagine how the poor cat feels?

Spaying and neutering is part of the responsibility and expense that goes into owning a pet.

I suggest you call around to vet to see if any of them will take a payment plan and help your poor cat.
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I lived in a small town of 250 people on Vancouver Island...so remote that if you wanted bread you had to travel 2 hours. We had a vet van come in every two/three months to help people with their pets. Please ask around or go on this site...they are very helpful and quick with info. I know our vet would give us a huge discount when we got neighbours to bring in their cats or dogs.
http://www.brindleweb.com/rescuebb/index.php
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:13 PM

Your kitty is in pain too. You need to spay her, then the howling will stop, and you won't end up with an unwanted litter.

Ebony - miniature schnauzer
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Has got it going on

Why did you get a cat if you weren't willing to spend the $150 (which is actually not that pricey) to get her spayed!?
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

You really need to have your cat spayed, more for her healh and pain she feels than for your convenience. When we adopt a pet, we need to accept the responsibility that comes with that. If you were in pain, would you consult a phsysician? Or if you have a child and s/he was ill, you surely would be making an appoitment to see a peditarician? You have no other option here but to care for your kitty. If you cannot afford the care, ask a vet about payment plans. If you cannot find one - and many vets will make arrangements (they too do not want to see pets suffer!). If that is not an option, please find someone who can rehome your kitty so she recieves the care she desperately needs. What will you do if she manages to become pregnant? That will be much more costly. So will paying for the various illnesses your cat is more prone to as an unspayed female. The cost-benefit ratio here is a no brainer but most important is beving a compassionate, responsible cat "owner".

Please have her spayed!!!!!!!! ASAP!!!!!
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:11 PM

You came for advice. You were given advice. Thread closed.
Closed Thread