Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 3rd, 2004, 07:00 AM

Taz Escaped!

I shouldn't really use the word 'escaped' it makes it sound like his home is a bad one or something but yesterday evening we were all sitting in the sitting room and my mum had just burnt some toast so the window in the sitting room was left a little open (about 1inch) the dogs sometimes get up on the window sill to look out at the world going by though we try to discourage it! I went out the back garden to let Ceide and Holly do their thing (wee) and when I came back to the sitting room my mother was in their screaming that Taz had just jumped out the window!!!!

I ran to the door and very calmly asked him to come back inside offering him a treat but he ran straight out onto the main road!!!! Three cars skidded and nearly hit him! but he just kept running and walking totally ignoring me!!!

My brother came out after me and was trying to call Taz but again he wouldn't even turn to see who it was!!!

He kept this up for 15mins and we carefully followed him pretending that we were walking with him and stirred him towards a small park behind our house...

once he got in there (thank god it was empty) we walked and tried to get him to play (that way he would forget that he was trying to do a runner!) and eventually... a half hour later we were able to pick him up and brought him home!

Why did he run off on us???!!! Does he not like his new home??? He is only with us three weeks now after his old owner decided he was too much trouble!!! Was he looking for her???? oh it upset and worried me and my family so much I couldn't bear losing him
Old June 4th, 2004, 05:27 AM

Not your fault

Your dog seems to have a mind of his own and also appears to lack a bit of training. This is a bad combination. I would suggest getting him some training and keeping windows closed
I've had the same thing happen to me.
In fact my toy poodle is an escape artist of great repute. Little bugger will run out a door anytime she can.
Two years ago she got out and ran into the pasture when the horses thought she was a rat and tried to step on her.
I had to get through a barbed wire fence to rescue her. Luckily when she heard my voice she ran to me and I got her out of harms way.
You can plan and try to protect them and they will find a way to make you feel dumb and look stupid.
Woody
Old June 4th, 2004, 09:10 AM

I'm trying to get hold of my trainer but she just had laser eye surgery and is on rest for a couple of weeks, she gave me the training sheets to get started on and we are going to go down to Wexford (down the country) for the bank holiday weekend and spend the time working on who is boss and why its a good reason to stay living with me and more importantly why its a good idea to come when I call - that is going to prove tough!
Old June 4th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Senior Contributor

i agree with woody, it seems a certain little boy has alot of spirit. dont fell bad about it at all, charlie did it to me as a pup after she had been with me a few weeks. her mum came to visit and when they left she scooted under the door and out onto the road into trafic, everyone yelled at me, i was sooo embarassed and hurt, i thought that she wanted to leave me and must have been unhappy. well 8 years later the little bugger is still sitting here harassing me and im absolutly positive that she would not have it any other way. he probably just wanted a puppy adventure, little rascal. im sure he loves you and you are lovely puppy parents. have you been to puppy preschool yet?? or normal school?? might be a big help.