Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 1st, 2013, 10:40 AM

Question I have a serious flea problem

Hello everyone,

I'm at my whit's end....I've bathed my cats 3 times with zodiac flea bath....and sprayed all around the place with zodiac spray to eliminate fleas in the rug and couch....I've washed all their bedding and things they sleep on....and I've put the drops on the back of their necks twice....

My one cat is FAT....and can't get to all area's of her body....and I was in shock when I first bathed her....I thought she was bleeding from somewhere....but it was just all the flea poop

I'm seriously thinking of shaving them bald....

I think it is also causing other behaviour issues as well....one cat (not sure which one....but do have my suspicions) is peeing a pooping outside the litter box....I have 2 cats....and 3 litter boxes....all placed in different areas of the laundry room....

PLEASE....any help would be GREATLY appreciated....

Rose
Old October 1st, 2013, 05:56 PM

i know when we had it bad we bath the cats n dog with dawn as u let it sit on them for like 10mins. and then also did a huge clean everywhere not just where the animals slept. also went and got advantage from the vet.. we get really bad sand type flea that dont ever seem to die no matter what u do.
Old October 1st, 2013, 08:08 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Please don't use the Zodiac stuff! its horrible and very very hard on some cats. You need to pick something up from the vet because I am pretty sure its the only product that kills the adult fleas and not just the eggs.
The vets also sell a product to use around the house. You need to pick up everything and wash it. Bedding, mats, and then treat your house. You will never get rid of them if you don't treat and clean everything.
I am pretty sure the stuff at the vets is a spray and then you vacuum up the fleas after treatment.

I am sure others will be along with more advice but don't use that stuff!!!!!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 1st, 2013, 08:52 PM
You can call me DOG!

Winston is 100% correct. Been there, done that with the entire Zodiac line and it just did not work.

You really need to bite the bullet and purchase a product from your vet such as Revolution for cats. I can't believe I was foolish in spending so much money with the store shelf stuff and was actually cheaper buying the vet prescribed drops in the long run.

If you visit your vet now and purchase a 6 month supply, you'll probably only need 1 tube per cat to kill the adults & larvae and will have some left over to kick off the flea season next summer.

Good luck.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:29 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Just google effects of zodiac flea treatment and you will see many serious problems!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown

Tags
flea baths, flea infestation, fleas