Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old November 25th, 2011, 09:52 AM

Hello My name is Jess and my dog is Putchy..

hello every one. My name is Jessica and I have recently become the, I guess you could say mother (as that's what my hubby says) of an 8 year old Pootch. I think he is 8 or closer to 9 not sure. his name is Putchy.
he was suposed to stay for three weeks but after 7 months I asked if I could keep him. he was in desperate need of the vet and under the circumstances I could not take him. but the minute he became mine we went to the vet. First vet bill cost an arm and a leg, the next one is going to cost more. Poor guy looks to be having a lot of teeth removed. they are so bad. But this will be done after we clear up his ear infection... Anway I stumbled upon this website while looking for people who cook for their pets. .
Thanks for accepting my registration....
Jess.
Old November 25th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I cooked for 3 mths hoping it could change my dog's allergies. No change unfortunately, however the food was great. I'll probably continue and mix a little with "high quality kibble". She was eating fish, beef, quinoia, spinach, carrots, sweet potatoes, and green peas. I added a multi vitamin as well.
Old November 25th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Welcome to the firm Jessgore - hope you enjoy your stay!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 25th, 2011, 02:34 PM

Hi Marty I have a Bishon Frise any recipe suggestions? I have a small problem though with Kibble his teeth are so bad he has trouble with kibble, also soon he may have most of his teeth removed..

Thanks Marco for the welcome...
Old November 25th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

So the strange thing is...dogs don't really chew kibble if you ever watch. You can get small bite Evo and it's pretty small and add some good quality can food and your dog will eat fine. You could go straight to can, that's even better. As for the food, I just cooked it all up and mixed it (I mashed the carrots) used ground beef, fish is soft, diced the sweet potatoes, didn't even cook the peas just toss them in the mixture and same with the frozen chopped spinach, cook the quinois (I can't spell that) like rice.
Old November 26th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessgore View Post
hello every one. My name is Jessica and I have recently become the, I guess you could say mother (as that's what my hubby says) of an 8 year old Pootch. I think he is 8 or closer to 9 not sure. his name is Putchy.
he was suposed to stay for three weeks but after 7 months I asked if I could keep him. he was in desperate need of the vet and under the circumstances I could not take him. but the minute he became mine we went to the vet. First vet bill cost an arm and a leg, the next one is going to cost more. Poor guy looks to be having a lot of teeth removed. they are so bad. But this will be done after we clear up his ear infection... Anway I stumbled upon this website while looking for people who cook for their pets. .
Thanks for accepting my registration....
Jess.
Hi Jess, and welcome to the board

I have a 12 yr old cancer boy and a 20 month old with numerous immune-related conditions and gastro issues (Malamutes), so neither of them are fed kibble of any kind. I was making all of the food completely from scratch, but my youngest was having issues with regurgitating/throwing up. He was so limited on what veggies he could have that we were afraid he would end up with a deficiency. I found a dehydrated food and took the box in to our holistic vet who said it looked like a "very well put together food" and said it wouldn't hurt to try it. It has chelated vitmains/minerals and a balanced calcium/phosphorus ratio. That was back in the late spring/early summer, and they have both done wonderfully on it. It's call The Honest Kitchen. They have a variety of formulas, some with meat/grains/veggies/fruit others with meat/veggies/fruit and then they have one that is just veggies/fruit (Preference), which is the one I use. Neither of my boys can have raw because of the compromised immune systems, so I just add the cooked meat. I use ground beef and wild pink salmon (I bake several at a time, then debone and freeze in packages that are enough to add in for 2 days worth of meals for each boy). People will tell you a dog shouldn't have grains at all, and I use to believe that. But it just isn't true. It depends entirely on the dog and the type/quality of the grain. My youngest was losing weight so bad. He went from 110 lbs down to 82 lbs in a very short time. Our holistic vet recommended we try different grains to see which he could tolerate to help stabilize his weight. He gained weight on the barley, but he was always throwing up, we were going to try quinoa, but apparently a good percentage of dogs will have diarrhea on it, so we decided not to go that route, although it has a lot of nutrition if they can handle it. We ended up using a guaranteed wheat/barley/rye free oat. He has done great on it, so he gets a cup with each meal. It's high in iron and gives him added protein as well. Whatever you decide to do, research it! We tried several different things before we found something that worked for both. This is a link to The Honest Kitchen if you want to check it out:

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/preference/

Good luck!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old November 30th, 2011, 11:10 AM

Thanks guys.

I have another vet visit coming up and am wondering if I should wait until he has his teeth done before I change anything at the moment. Poor bugger has to wait until next month for that to be done but the appointment is booked.
he has blood tests in a week, I'll speak to my vet then about waiting for change.

I have not hear of any of the foods you have mentioned. I will double check at the pet store this week. I did buy a bunch of ground pork the other day with the intentions of cooking it up, then thought it might be better to wait.

It's weird, I have never thought about cooking for a dog before, although my mum did it for her Winston. But this little fellow seems to have had it rather rough. he was not not loved by the lady who gave him to me, she just did not give him the real care he needed too. So I am now giving both.

Anyway thanks for your help. Sorry it took me time to get back to you both, I forgot to book mark the page. . and had trouble remembering where it was.