Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 8th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Owned by Saints

More food issues :(

Poor Bubba is still chewing and licking. His front legs are staining pink from his saliva, and he's chewing small patches of fur off his belly again. Same problem on Canidae and now on Innova adult. I'm seriously thinking he is allergic/intolerant to chicken or turkey. But he had similar reactions on lamb and duck. He did so well for the longest time.. now it seems everything is flaring up again. :sad:

The only food he did great on was Eagle Pack Holistic.. The Anchovy, Sardine and Salmon one. No itching/licking and no diarrhea. The problem is he didn't keep weight on at all when he was on it. For a Saint Bernard he's fairly active and the 22% protein and 12% fat just didn't seem to cut it. But Hubby wants to put him back on it anyway and just add canned food, olive oil, leftovers etc..to boot the fat and protein levels. Good idea? or should I just keep looking for a fish kibble higher in protein/fat?

Here's the ingredient list for EP Fish, Guaranteed analysis etc.. Yeah I know beet pulp and salt.. But it's to the point where it's that or hot spots.
http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/HS_Fish.html

*SIGH* I soooo wish I could get Timberwolf Organics here. I think Ocean Blue would be perfect. Protein: 26% Fat: 16%. But NOOOO nearest store that carries it is a couple hours away. :sad:
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Boss-lady!

I know your food frustrations, RaYne-it's so annoying!

Personally, I'd go with the Eagle pack and add stuff if it's the only one that doesn't give him hotspots.

To give you some light at the end of the tunnel, rainbow mentioned in another thread that Orijen is going to be doing a Salmon food-it'd be pretty high protein coming from them. And I know that Brantford is on the list of places you can buy Orijen. Not very close, but not 2-3 hours away, either!

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Boss-lady!

Here's the thread-mummummum is having similar food woes and is looking for a good fish-based food, too.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38848

Old April 8th, 2007, 10:39 PM

You don't like the high protein ones? The Canidae lamb and rice is also a bit low... But you could boost it with a higher protein food (like EvoRM or Barking at the Moon, which is what I'm doing for my two now...).

I hope you find a solution. The eagle pack is grainy, dried egg producty and beet pulpy, but it's not terrible otherwise.

What about the California Natural Herring? Maybe this is a way off suggestion, but what about a puppy food? Like this one: http://www.californianaturalpet.com/...fault.asp?id=4
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Owned by Saints

Actually, I just found Go! Natural Salmon and oatmeal... Same protein fat content.. but it's a little more basic and has no rice since I'm wondering if rice may be part of the problem. Plus I've never tried a rice free food.

http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=42

Skryker, Thanks for the link! I'm going to start reading through it. That's awesome that Orijen is coming out with a high protein salmon food. I'll be keeping an eye out for that one. Even if I just use it to boost the protein/fat.

Prin, Lamb is a no go and the sample of Evo I had gave them horrid room clearing gas (he was already itching so I'm not sure if evo would make him itchy or not) and the RM has lamb. :sad:

Last edited by RaYne; April 8th, 2007 at 10:56 PM.
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Boss-lady!

Good luck, RaYne!

Old April 8th, 2007, 11:09 PM

Good luck! I hope it works for you!
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Owned by Saints

Well I bought a bag of the Go! Natural Salmon and Oatmeal this morning. Wow is that food darn expensive! $77 for the 30lb bag. Hubby is going to have a heartattack! LOL

First thing I noticed is that after eating it he wasn't dragging his face across the carpet like he usually does! So that's improvement already. Now let's hope the itching/scratching/chewing/licking subsides.

Since Lola doesn't have any allergies, I'm going to put her back on Canidae. This bag of Go! should last just Bubba about 3.5 weeks, maybe a month.. as long as he is the only one eating it.

Now if Orijen would hurry up and come out with their high protein salmon kibble we would be all set!
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Boss-lady!

that Bubba does well on Salmon based foods. hubby understands when he learns the cost!

Old April 9th, 2007, 03:27 PM

I hope he keeps doing well.
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Good Luck with the Go! Salmon. Our senior samoyed enjoys Go! She also has allergies to chicken.
We also have a problem with her keeping weight on with a fish based food. I guess because of the leaner less fat protein???
What I have done is supplimented her food with (now get ready for this!! ) canned fish dog food. Wellness makes a fine canned fish. Rose gives it a "Paws Up" It doesnot contain chicken. Read the labels as other fish food may contain chicken, chicken liver.
You can also as a treat suppliment with sardines (in water) or other fish.
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:44 PM
-

WOW is the $77 before or after taxes? But, if it works for Bubba that's all that matters. Good luck.
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:21 PM

Hmm.. $77 is expensive. It's approx. $62 here. It is cheaper than a vet bill though. You also mentioned hot spots... Holistic Blendz has a wonderful product Seagreens. One of it's ingredients is kelp. It really helped my female samoyed with her itchy, reddened, irritated skin . There are other sea kelp products on the market as well. Your dog will be getting the benefits of salmon oil from the kibble but you may also want to suppliment with another oil like flax if your dog isn't allergic. and Prin where are you? Calling Prin...
Old April 9th, 2007, 11:41 PM

Why me?

My doggies didn't like the wellness canned fishy food. But they do love Merrick Campfire Trout feast (or whatever it's called).
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Owned by Saints

It's $77 after taxes. I figured being a Canadian food it wouldn't cost so much. Probably the wild west coast salmon that raises the cost. Bubba eats better than we do. LOL

Since it's possible that Bubba just has grain allergies. I'm thinking that once we get the itching under control I'd like to try the regular Orijen and see if the itching starts up again. It's the only way to know for sure, right? Unless he has grain AND protein allergies.

Bubba LOVES Merrick canned foods. He covers the kitchen in slobber as soon as he sees the can. haahahha I'll have to look for the Trout one.
Old April 10th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Prin, I wanted you to comment on the supplimental oil. Flax? Sunflower, Canola etc..
Old April 10th, 2007, 01:10 PM

I'd wait on the supplements till the food is settled though... You don't want to add anything the dog might be allergic to.

If the food goes well though, I'd say maybe coconut oil... Too much salmon oil or any other oil rich in omega 3's isn't good, especially since there's salmon in the food... I think it was Spirit who said that primrose oil balances out the omega 3's a bit (higher in omega 6).