Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old July 4th, 2005, 10:37 PM

Missing Toby

Hello everyone, we're looking for our dog Toby, he's a beagle/basset mix (possibly a bit of terrier too!). He has been missing since July 1 from Concord, Ont. We were walking at Keffer Marsh in the Keele & HWY 7 area. He is black/tricolour, wearing a blue collar (with tags on) and a chain collar too. He is about 35lbs, microchipped and neutered. We are terribly worried about him, he's a very shy dog (he wouldn't even go into the local park if he saw a toddler on a swing!) and miss him so much. We've spent 30 plus hours this weekend looking in that area to no avail. If anyone lives in that area and would like to put up a poster (we've already put up about 100!) I can send you the pdf of the poster, otherwise, here's his photo. Many thanks, and good luck to everyone who is missing their dog.

Lorna & Ron
Attached Images

Last edited by lornaron; July 5th, 2005 at 09:31 AM. Reason: add photo
Old July 5th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

The photo didn't work so if you need help let me know
Old July 5th, 2005, 09:44 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Great picture btw

Have you had any luck?
Old July 5th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you looked at that Pet Detective web site http://www.pet-detective.com/

There are some great ideas there - more than I can give you - in how to search for your lost loved 4 legged furball. Good luck!!!!
Old July 6th, 2005, 02:01 PM

Thanks for your support, still no luck i'm afraid. I'm so desperately upset, I plan to go walking the trials tommorow again, I'll walk to Sudbury if I have to!
We're on pet detective, info pet, you name it! We're on the city shelter sites, humane society and the microchip company has faxed an alert to all the vet clinics in the area. I don't know what else to do, I don't have the resources to put ads in the newspapers, but i've had some lovely people call when they've seen the posters and told me that they are keeping an eye out for him. It's very comforting just to "feel the love" from the pet lovers out there!
Old July 6th, 2005, 02:21 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

I hope you find him soon!!!
Old July 6th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Never ever give up!!!

The more exposure your dog gets the better.

I also suggest that you send emails to every single shelter in the area, every rescue and include a picture of your dog.

Sending those pos vibes to get Toby home safe and sound!!
Old July 6th, 2005, 04:38 PM

If he has Beagle and Basset hound in him, he might've gone farther than you would have thought. I don't know your dogs personality, but he could be somewhere where you weren't expecting (following that nose). Look everywhere - even where you wouldn't expect to find him.

Hope you find him.
Old July 6th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Owned by goldens

Toby

I just want to suggest that not only should you call the shelters but go visit them too. A shelter in my area is notorious for telling people their pet isn't there when it really is.

Good luck finding him. I can't imagine how you are feeling right now.

Linda
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:56 PM

Thanks everyone, it means so much to get such positive feedback and support

Yes, we plan on visiting all the shelters at the week-end and I think I should do more flyers.

Cheers everyone, hug a furry friend for me.
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

If you need help with posters email me and I'll make it up for you, then you can just print them off and drop them off places as you go along
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Wow, this dog-searching is a full-time job! But I've had some lovely people being so helpful again today. Kim at York Regional Transit is kindly putting his poster somewhere that the bus drivers will be able to see it, which is very nice. I made a discovery today, that there is a dog that I know is at the HS on River St in Toronto and has been since Monday, yet he still hasn't made it to the lost pet web page, once again it's a case of, "DUH, Lorna!" I guess you really do have to go there in person (oh quit rolling your eyes you smartypants!!)

I registered him on K911.com today too, it can't hurt i guess

Hubby has photocopied another 100 plus flyers, we're doing a flyer drop in the residential area around Keele/hwy7 tonight. I'm attaching a pdf of his lost poster, just incase anyone wants to stick it up somewhere.

I've done a fax blitz today, golf courses and all the shelters...fingers crossed
have a good day everyone and thanks for everything
Attached Images
File Type: pdf LOST TOBY.pdf (43.7 KB, 394 views)
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I brightened the picture for you.....
Attached Images

Old July 8th, 2005, 10:52 PM

update - Toby sighted at Dufferin & Rutherford!

searched HS dpwntown tonight. No Toby. Got home, a nice lady called as we walked in the door, our first sighting!! Toby has travelled north from where he was lost (i.e not towards home), the lady saw him last Saturday, he was in her yard apparently (very un-Toby like!) and she fed him and when she went in to get him more, he took off. Unfortunately, she didn't call animal control and she didn't phone us until tonight, 6 days later (she probably only just saw one of the posters). But we we're thrilled to get a call and we jumped straight back in the van and off we went to put posters up around her location (and a couple of GO stations in the area too). She saw him on Forest Run Blvd. It's right at Dufferin & Rutherford. There's a lot of new construction in the area, so that's where we'll be headed tomorrow, after a quick trip to the shelters. Wish us luck!
Old July 8th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Senior Contributor

oohh!! Good luck!! Sending you lots and lots of positive vibes!!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> .>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

let us know as soon as you have news!!!
Old July 9th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Thats fantastic news!!!

TOBY stay put in one place you hound so someone can get you back with your family, do you hear me young man!! LOL

Best of luck Lorna, I'm really pulling for you....

If you haven't gone yet, I'd like to make a suggestion...take a portable BBQ with you and some hamburger and hot dogs....NO not for you guys.

Set it up near the area you think he will be and start cooking, the smell of the food will bring him out. I've known this to work time and time again. And he's a hound so it makes it that much easier.

If you don't have a porti bbq borrow a coleman stove from someone ...trust me this DOES work!!!!

Don't forget to take water with you and his dish he'll probably be thirsty.
Advise your vet whats going on and set up a 'can drop by anytime once yu get him' appt with the vet...to make sure he's okay. He may have ticks on him or wore his pads down running.

Also keep calling his name, wind carries sounds.

Last edited by Luba; July 9th, 2005 at 08:34 AM.
Old July 9th, 2005, 04:30 PM

Oh boy, another day of searching in vain! I thought for sure we'd get a bunch of calls after all the flyers went up around that neighbourhood, but nothing else so far. We went up to the Kennel Inn and the city shelter on Sheppard, no luck. Then we did another 70 or so flyers on every street in the new developments around Dufferin/Rutherford. I think that's it, I don't think theres anything else we can do. Now we'll just have to wait it out. We are all exhausted (it doesn't help that we live MILES from the search area). I think hubby is going to put his foot down now and say "enough's enough". I wouldn't mind trying that BBQ tip though, Luba!! Sounds like a tasty idea!! The area is so vast and spread out up there, plus there's tons of farmland with all kinds of "keep out" signs, I'm not sure where we'd set it up. He's probably feasting on other people's BBQ as we speak, it's all B'BQ-on-a-Saturday-night-kind of family area' if you know what I mean! I'll run the idea past hubby...if he thinks HE'LL get some food, he might just be into it! Going for a nap now, thanks everyone, you keep me going, I don't know how I'd do it without you.
Old July 9th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Lornaron,I was reading all the posts and hoping the last one would say"We found him!"but no..
I know everyone here is hoping and praying for little Toby and hopefully all the good vibes will bring him home to you (((Hugs)))!
Old July 9th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I'll keep hoping for you...any new ideas I'll let you know.

The BBQ thing...just explain to anyone complaining why you are doing it and give them a flyer
Old July 10th, 2005, 09:45 AM
<-----nut ball

have you tried www.petharbor.com?? you can search more than one shelter at once in ontario.
Old July 10th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Lorna and Ron,

Please don't give up. There is always hope. I just found my dog after worrying for 17 days. I offered a reward and the people jumped on it. I want to know that my prayers are definately with you. Please keep us posted with any news. I placed posters everywhere, banks, mailboxes, 7/11's, mall's, grocery stores, newspaper, side of my van, then I drove everyday with her photo and asked everyone I saw. I even squeeked her favorite squeeky toy all over the town.

My dog was 3 towns away, a 15-20 minute car drive. Use all of your resources. If there is anything I could do to help you, let me know.
xo Laurie
Old July 10th, 2005, 11:17 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I emailed and got no response Lorna maybe give a call, you never know

941292- Dog:Beagle/Estonian Hound?
Markham,ON 905 294 0690 Becky becksy2002@hotmail.com 07-03-2005
Name: N/A
Sex:M
Size:M
Found on McCowan Road in Markham, Ontario without identification. Responds to voice, doesnt respond well to commands. Appearance: Black back, white paws and muzzle, brown head. This dog is friendly. He shows sign of age and is possibly unneutered?
Old July 10th, 2005, 10:37 PM

Well, we tried the BBQ idea! Unfortunately it didn't work....but we're enjoying our new portable bbq at least! I had Toby's lost poster pinned to the back of my folding chair, we must have looked like a couple of crazies sitting in the middle of a housing development next to a few trees having a bbq! We kept calling his name and roasting those weenies and burgers, but no luck! So I think that's all we can do. We spent $50 on gas this weekend alone, we just can't afford to keep going so far away every night, I wish we could, but we've done our best. It's so sad when I see that people have already started ripping our Toby posters down. I'm really surprised that we haven't recieved ONE phone call after all those flyers in this new area. We put the everywhere you can imagine. I'm a bit upset that the microchip company who said that they would send out fax alerts to all the vets in the area, obviously didn't, because all the ones I went too had not recieved anything. It's that kind of thing that's so discouraging, now I'm thinking, oh I have to start with all the vets myself now when I thought that was all covered. Ha ha, we even drove into a swanky golf course to ask them to put up a poster, with Ron in his very relaxed casual wear! Oh well. I'm going to see if any of the Toronto news papers will do free lost dog listings.

The saddest thing is that we are going to a cabin up north on Saturday and I wont even be in cell phone range. The whole point of going to this place was because Toby could come too. We were so excited and now we don't even care if we go or not.

So to answer someone's question yes, we're on petharbour, we check it twice a day at least, but thanks for mentioning it. And Luba, the dog you sent is not Toby i'm afraid, the girl who found him is very sweet, she called me when she saw about Toby on another pet website. We've e-mailed back and forth over it. I told her, I hope Toby finds someone like her...or any of you guys! Wouldn't that be cool!

Everyone - you guys are truly caring and it's wonderful that you post here to keep me going, I appreciate every cheery thought you send this way. And if anyone ever loses a dog in Toronto - I will be out there like a shot, searching with you, trust me on that!!

Hug your pet. ttyl.
Old July 11th, 2005, 07:00 PM
<-----nut ball

could this be him?

http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?act...75&tmpl=&stat=

also, have you contacted the Canadian Hound Rescue? Just in case someone finds him and turns him over to them?

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/ON143.html
Old July 11th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

hmmmm raingirl lets compare:

Old July 11th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Close very close!

We are not giving up hope Lorna!!
Old July 12th, 2005, 05:53 AM

very close, guys! And speaking of close...The most drama filled- day EVER was yesterday. I was at work, thankfully I had the mini-van yesterday (i work downtown T.0., hubby is almost in Oakville) and my cell phone rang. The guy on the other end said "we have your dog! He's runnning around in our yard, playing with our dogs!" So imagine, I'm leaping for joy, completely shaking with nervous excitement and I dash from work with my five-yr old son and a big pitcher of water! I drove like a maniac all the way up the 400 to HWY 7 and clearside. Just south of that right under the 407 bridge is the paving co. where Toby was. When I got there (I was circling around, a bit lost looking!) two guys in a car pulled up sharply and said, "are you here for the dog? THIS WAY!" So I'm almost hysterically excited at this point, my heart is racing, we get to the outdoor doggy yard and .........he's gone. Apparently he's been visiting these two guard dogs (but not nasty snarly ones) every night, sneaking through a gap in the bars and going to bed with them in their little house!! One of the dogs is TOTALLY in love with him apparently and kind of looks after him. So he's getting fed and watered regularly, the people there say they feed him and the guy with the coffee wagon feeds him, so he's not starving or anything. It seems that each morning, as it gets really loud and busy there, he runs off to the west where the cemetery is (Beechwood on Jane st). At least the guys there were very nice and they said that if Toby comes back they will quickly cover the gap so that he can't escape and then call me.

Garrett and I checked through the whole cemetery, all of us went up after work too and did the cemetery and waited at the paving company, but no sign. Ron went back late last night, but no Toby. Isn't it turning into the "Littlest Hobo"!! He's meeting all these people and having great adventures! No wonder he doesn't respond when we call, he couldn't care less!! Jeesh. At least we know he's safe and fed for the time being. Maybe I'll get a call this morning, who knows. I'll let you know straight away if I do!

Last edited by lornaron; July 12th, 2005 at 05:55 AM.
Old July 12th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Your so close, I hope Toby is home soon! Don't give up. I'm keeping Toby in my prayers in hopes that he makes it home safely
Old July 12th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Lorna that's wonderful news,keeping fingers and toes crossed for Toby
Old July 12th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Senior Contributor

The suspense is killing me! If you get him tonight, don't forget to come back and tell us. Everything crossable is crossed. What a nice bunch of people, your dog lucked out!