Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old January 27th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Beef and Bones

So.....we're going to finally feed Barkley his first all-beef meal sometime next week. We've been slowly adding pieces of beef to his turkey patties and he's been doing so great that we're 3/4 of the way there
Since I have never given him an all beef dinner before, I was wondering if anyone could recommend what cuts of beef constitute a good meal at a half decent price? I've been using stewing beef up until now but I was wondering what other cuts I should be keeping an eye out for. Also, are the beef bones edible for him or is it only certain ones? If so, which ones? For example, I have some beef short ribs in the freezer which are each about the size of a child's fist and have quite a bit of meat on the bone. Are these bones okay for him to eat? Does the same go for pork chops? (we haven't ventured there but will eventually)
I know my way around chicken and turkey bones but for some reason I'm second guessing myself on beef and pork
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Ribs are fine as long as they're meaty. I feed beef tail. Large meaty ones. Not the very thin ones. As well as beef neck, but thats a rec bone. Most of my beef is boneless, but thats only because its what i have available. Beef heart & beef tongue.

have a look here at some beef meals though

http://rawfeddogs.net/Recipes

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Honest Contributor

meaty beef ribs make a good meal but most dogs (specially the smaller ones) won't eat the bone, only nibble and gnaw on them. they are very hard to get through, as are most beef bones (Scott remember you have a BIG stong boy there ). not worth the risk for tooth injury IMO... Most pork bones are edible though, exept for the thick leg bones. So if you want to feed ribs, pork are the way to go. think of the actual animal size, cows are much bigger than pigs, hence their bones will be bigger, thicker and harder too to support all that weight

it's ok to feed boneless beef for a meal or two in a row, in big chunks your boy can chew on (beef hearts are awesome) or ground beef, then you can mix in an egg with the crushed shells for calcium. just don't always feed "meat only" meals and you'll be fine. don't forget the organ meats too! should be about 10% of the diet.

if you can find some raw green tripe, go for it! either whole or ground & frozen patties. it's truly a 100% balanced meal, if you don't mind the stink that is, LOL!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:43 PM

I disagree about the rib bones being too tough.

Look at all these different doggies who love em

http://rawfeddogs.net/RecipePhotos/9

And on the raw feeding list (over 7000 members)I've never heard anyone say to avoid them, as long as they have meat on them, and are not just bones. As long as they're not weight bearing leg bones, the pup should be fine.

And I actually think they're perfect for smaller doggies. They're not dense like leg bones so even if the lil pups dont eat the bone, they get a great teeth workout getting the meat off them. Thats the same reason i feed beef neck bones.

I guess it comes down to what your comfortable with. I dislike knuckle bones

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

Old January 27th, 2007, 05:15 PM

I don't know if you would call Barkley a small dog because he's a 60lb golden retriever, but then again, he's not a 160lb Great Dane either
I'll try the beef short ribs and see what he does with the bone. I'm not sure if he'll just take the meat off or try and eat the whole thing, bone included. Barkley's not usually one to separate the meat from the bone...he doesn't have quite that much finesse He usually gives everything a few good chomps and down the hatch it goes. If it's too big, he brings it back up and gives it a few more chomps and then he's good to go. Disgusting, I know but what I can I say, I the puppers.
Techno, I hear you about the green tripe. Barkley's been getting it ever since we started him on raw and he goes absolutely berserk for it. Personally, I think the smell leaves A LOT to be desired, but hey...what ever floats his boat
It should be interesting to see what he does with the beef short ribs. If he tries to eat the bone and it sounds like it's too hard for him to chomp through, I will take it away and stick to meat only beef meals and just add a turkey neck or something to add some bone content. Does that sound like a good plan?
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
he doesn't have quite that much finesse He usually gives everything a few good chomps and down the hatch it goes. If it's too big, he brings it back up and gives it a few more chomps and then he's good to go
Thats exactly what they shhould do. Its what Rosco does!

Adding a turkey neck is a great idea. Remember, not every meal needs bone. 80% meat, 10-15% bones. Like today Rosco had boneless beef for breakfast & a rabbit for supper. If i didnt feed the rabit, id feed beef tail or side of lamb.