Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 4th, 2004, 03:29 AM

Unhappy new dog, old cat, please help

Hi my name is Michelle,

Recently my family adopted an 8 week old border collie from the RSPCA. he has been with us for 3 days now. My cat has been with us for a long time now and is not adjusting well at all. The cat lives predominantly outdoors and the dog was abused as a pup. the cat is avoiding coming into the house exept for meals and he will not eat any where near the dog. when the dog comes near, he either hisses or runs away but does not try to attack in any way. the dog does not seem phased by the cat and seems to just want to play. Is there any way that i can get them to live in harmony? please help i am desperate for them to get along and i don't have any idea what to do.

thank you your help would be much appreciated.
Old August 4th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Is the cat just staying outside since you got the puppy?

Adult cats and puppies are pretty much the worst combination. Your cat will not want to play with the puppy and you must give him a "safe place" to retreat to. Do not expect him to eat near the dog. Set up a room with all his stuff - food,litter etc and put a baby gate in the doorway so only the cat can go in.

Do not EVER allow this puppy to chase or even approach the cat. You can start training him now to leave the cat alone. Do not expect them to be friends. Just aim at having the cat learn to tolerate the dog.

Put him on a leash and when he tries to run after the cat, say "No cat" and give a little tug on the leash or clap your hands. The second he turns and looks at you, praise profusely and treat. Border collies are often not good with cats, but if you are consistant and firm with him, he should learn to leave the cat alone. He will catch on that trying to chase the cat gets him a little correction, and that ignoring the cat gets him treats, toys and praise!

When the cat learns that the dog will not be allowed to chase or bother him, he should calm down.

Your cat will surely need to come inside in the winter?