Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 4th, 2012, 11:03 AM

Beagle Puppy - new owner

I will be picking up a Beagle Puppy for a birthday present for my Girlfriend.

I have some questions about the puppy that I am picking up and if the breeder that is giving me this beagle puppy legit?

The mom and dad are both beagles, but they don't have CKC or AKC papers to prove that they are purebread. Is it needed to have papers to prove that the beagle puppy is indeed a purebread?

The owner said that it would cost more if I wanted to have the beagle puppy with papers (This is definitely illegal, because I did some research about it; you cannot charge more for papers in Canada.) However I don't think this applies to me, because I am not entering the puppy into shows or displays, it is used as a house pet and nothing else. Am I safe here or am I completely missing something?

Does anyone know where and how to get shots for a Beagle Puppy and how much would it cost?

Both mom and dad were in great condition and as well as the other two Chocolate colored Beagles, but the one that I picked was Black and Tan colored.
Old May 16th, 2012, 01:36 AM

Smile

Sweet guy. A beagle for a birthday present. I think, it's okay to have no papers as long as it stays at home. But also for safety and legality purposes, you might consider having legal papers. Having that puppy vaccinated, the cost will depend on the vets, I think. Vaccination is really important. If you want to make sure that your girlfriend is safe from that puppy, you need to get vaccine first before giving it.
Old May 16th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Floppy Dog

What a lovely gift for your girlfriend!

Regarding CKC/AKC papers, these indicate that the puppy has a recognized pedegree and is descended from other beagles with a recognized pedigree. CKA/AKC registration also pretty much guarantees that the puppy is not a result of in-breeding or too closely related breeding. If your girlfriend is not interested in showing or breeding the dog, then they are not necessary.

Ownership papers are a different matter altogether. These indicate that you have legal title to the dog. A simple bill of sale will do the trick so long as it lists the name of the buyer, seller, the amount of money paid for the dog, is dated, signed by both buyer and seller and witnessed by a 3rd party not related to either of you.

If you want to check out the breeder, check on your local beagle association web site. If there's a beagling club in your area (beagling is a form of hunting small game such as rabbits where beagles are the trackers and their human handlers follow on foot). They will ususally list reputable breeders in the area. Check with your local humane society or SPCA, they will also have a good idea if the breeder is reputable. Get references from the breeder and check them out. You can also check with your Better Business Bureau and your local city/municipal hall regarding compalints about the breeder.

You should also ask to inspect their facility. You want to see a clean facility, well ventilated with lots of room for exercise and a separate area for each bitch with a litter. Beagles are hunting dogs, so they can be high energy for their size. You want to ask about the breeding standards such as how often the bitch (mom) is allowed to whelp (it shouldn't be more than once per year), at what age she began to whelp (shouldn't be any earlier than 18 months, and 2 years old is better), how many litters she's had. How is the dad related, if at all? Does the owner have both parents? Ask to see the parents to check their overall condition. A healthy set of parents are more likely to have healthy puppies. Before you check the breeding facility, read up on beagles to find out what kind of diseases and conditions they are prone to (every breed of dog has its problems) and ask the breeder specifically about those. Use your intuition. If you get a bad vibe, don't buy the puppy.

Lastly, about shots. Your puppy should come to you with at least 1 set of shots completed. You should also get a referral to the vet that the breeder uses so that you can get any medical records for your puppy. The vet can advise you about follow up shots, treatment for fleas, ticks and other paricites and any area-specific issues (eg. beaver fever or lime disease) that may be a concern.

In case you're wondering, I did all of this research before I bought my pure-bred American Cocker Spaniel 4 years ago. All told, I did about a year's worth of research before I settled on the breed I wanted.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old May 16th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I think that you are missing a lot of something.

The list of inherited genetic diseases in beagles is pretty long. Have you done your research in this area? Did you know what questions about these to ask your breeder? Did the breeder have any answers beyond "my dogs don't have those problems"?

I realize you are just looking for a family pet and the papers may not mean anything to you. But the fact that the breeder wants you to pay more for something that you are legally entitled to for free means that this breeder doesn't care about the dogs they own or the puppies they are selling - they just want your money.

If you are comfortable with that.........
Old May 17th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I must say that like LR, my Spidey senses are tingling here.

From what you have written, the owner of the dog is sending all the wrong messages. Floppy dog gives great advice about wanting to see the facility and the vibe you get after seeing it.
If they don't want to show it - another terrible sign.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Spidey senses are tingling here too. It is absolutely ILLEGAL to sell as purebred an unregistered dog. HUGE red flag going up here. And, you are correct, it is is not allowed to charge more for the registration. Note this means CKC registration. There are many other registries but for a purebred dog in Cananda it's got to be CKC.

If neither parent has papers registered to their owner then they are NOT purebred, legally, end of story. That would mean you could not enter the puppy in any CKC event. If you don't want to do such things you do not need the papers to show or compete but you DO NEED to see the parents' papers to know the puppy has been given the best chance possible for a long and healthy life by dint of the parents being screened, (CERF"D) against whatever Beagles are prone to.

Is chocolate a Beagle colour? Approved in the standard? This is something YOU should know if you are doing your research. Good for you, it does sound like you are asking good questions but there are many more to ask.

You should run as fast as you can away from this breeder. If you want to rescue a puppy produced by a BYB by all means, do so, you would have full support of anyone here, But NOT if you pay the breeder, ONLY if you obtain the puppy from a rescue or shelter.

This link will help you in enquiries: http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/beagle.htm

Please note that simply being registered with the CKC in and of itself is no guarantee you are dealing with a reputable breeder. But it is a start, and this very basic first step, by your account, is already missing.
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketstick View Post

I have some questions about the puppy that I am picking up and if the breeder that is giving me this beagle puppy legit?

The mom and dad are both beagles, but they don't have CKC or AKC papers to prove that they are purebread. Is it needed to have papers to prove that the beagle puppy is indeed a purebread?

The owner said that it would cost more if I wanted to have the beagle puppy with papers (This is definitely illegal, because I did some research about it; you cannot charge more for papers in Canada.) However I don't think this applies to me, because I am not entering the puppy into shows or displays, it is used as a house pet and nothing else. Am I safe here or am I completely missing something?

Does anyone know where and how to get shots for a Beagle Puppy and how much would it cost? Both mom and dad were in great condition and as well as the other two Chocolate colored Beagles, but the one that I picked was Black and Tan colored.
Re. the bold, just to make sure you are aware, yes this does still apply to you.

One, what this so called "breeder" is proposing is illegal.

Two, a breeder is required by law to provide the puppy registration to you within six months of you taking possession of the puppy. It's up to you what you do with it.

Another note, the Beagle puppy is to be a house pet? Beagles are bred to work hard all day hunting. They need LOTS of exercise. Most cannot be trusted off leash as they take off following their noses. I meet hunters with a brace of beagles in a 1,000 acre property near me. These Beagles are off leash because they are hunting rabbits. These dogs work.
Old May 17th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Senior Contributor

If the parents of the puppies don't have registration papers through the Canadian Kennel Club or the AKC - then there is no way they could possibly offer you such papers for your puppy. Neither of these registries would register a litter from a parent/parents that aren't already registered with a reputable registry. The Continental Kennel Club is a different story and will register anything without any checks for legitimacy so long as you pay the fee.

Registration papers guarantee nothing beyond the fact that your puppy is a purebred. They offer no guarantee of good health or even good breeding - just that the puppy is a purebred. That is why these papers should only be your FIRST step in searching for a breeder.

The issues that I saw in doing a quick search on the breed are heart issues and eye issues. Personally, I would be very careful picking a breeder and a puppy. Heart issues can be difficult to detect by a regular vet but can be fatal.
Old May 28th, 2012, 12:50 PM

Big Update

Big Update as of May 28th, 2012

I have taken Apple to the vet on May 17th, 2012 and he's doing a lot better since his last visit to the vet.

Apple is currently being treated for Roundworms and coccidiosis, with medication prescribed to him from the Vet.

Also Apple is eating a lot more of the Royal Canin Veterinary Exclusive High Energy Wet Dog Food. He is also being fed Blue Buffalo Puppy Dry Food, which I think he likes it because its crunch on his teeth.

He is starting to bite people and things now, I would like Apple to stop that. Also refrain from sniffing or licking his own feces with Roundworms.

His Stool has now harden or is more consistant.

Picture of Apple taken today:

Old May 28th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, so cute.
Old May 28th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,what a little cutieI don't know much about puppies,but I would probably take him to a puppy-traing school.
Also supply him with a bunch of chew-toys and other toys to play with.
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketstick View Post

Does anyone know where and how to get shots for a Beagle Puppy and how much would it cost?

Both mom and dad were in great condition and as well as the other two Chocolate colored Beagles, but the one that I picked was Black and Tan colored.
I hope your girlfriend is ready to have a puppy. I really think giving a pet as gift to a g/f or b/f is a bad idea. If the two break up the pet could end not having a home.
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:35 AM

What a cutie!! I highly recommend a basic book on puppy care to include with the puppy. As you can see already, you have many questions and you'll have many more shortly. I too don't think puppies are normally great surprise gifts as they come with a ton of obligations and responsibilities. But what's done is done and i sincerely wish only the best for the both of you.

Quite A few years back I read a book on puppies from the 'dummies' series and i thought it was quite well written and a good resource.

After puppy has had all his shots, group obedience training is one of the best things you can do to help puppy know its place.

Although you would like Apple to stop biting stuff, Apple may be teething and so the biting stuff is 100% normal. You just want to make sure he bites on the right stuff. Here's an article that may help. http://www.pets.ca/dogs/tips/teethin...s-pet-tip-191/

Good luck!
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 30th, 2012, 06:51 PM

That is the cutest puppy ever! Congrats. Enjoy him, and feel free to stick around the boards for more advice, suggestions, adn to show us more pics
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Spidey senses are tingling here too. It is absolutely ILLEGAL to sell as purebred an unregistered dog. HUGE red flag going up here. And, you are correct, it is is not allowed to charge more for the registration. Note this means CKC registration. There are many other registries but for a purebred dog in Cananda it's got to be CKC.

If neither parent has papers registered to their owner then they are NOT purebred, legally, end of story. That would mean you could not enter the puppy in any CKC event. If you don't want to do such things you do not need the papers to show or compete but you DO NEED to see the parents' papers to know the puppy has been given the best chance possible for a long and healthy life by dint of the parents being screened, (CERF"D) against whatever Beagles are prone to.

Is chocolate a Beagle colour? Approved in the standard? This is something YOU should know if you are doing your research. Good for you, it does sound like you are asking good questions but there are many more to ask.

You should run as fast as you can away from this breeder. If you want to rescue a puppy produced by a BYB by all means, do so, you would have full support of anyone here, But NOT if you pay the breeder, ONLY if you obtain the puppy from a rescue or shelter.

This link will help you in enquiries: http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/beagle.htm

Please note that simply being registered with the CKC in and of itself is no guarantee you are dealing with a reputable breeder. But it is a start, and this very basic first step, by your account, is already missing.
I would not go to a BYB , I will not support that kind of treatment of dogs.
Old May 31st, 2012, 02:41 AM

I think we've said our piece about BYB in this thread.
Now that the puppy has been purchased and is part of the Op's life, let's try to concentrate on the future to help the OP and new family member.

Thx- Marko
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter