Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old November 20th, 2005, 03:31 PM

Royal Canin........??

16 wk old bengal is on Royal Canin Baby. I'm putting a tiny bit of Royal Canin Kitten in there, he really likes it.
What's the general opinion towards Royal Canin?
Any other quality food we might want to try in the future?

Thanks BG
Old November 20th, 2005, 03:38 PM

I'm not a fan. There are supposedly some Royal Canin foods that don't have corn and by-products in them but most do. There are better foods out there depending on your budget.
Old November 20th, 2005, 04:02 PM

Thanks for the input Prin. What I'm looking for is the brand NAMES of food that are preferred.
I'm not looking for the most expensive food available, just high quality food that is READILY available.
In my area this includes: IAMS Eukanuba (has been recommended- not great though) SCIENCE DIET , Royal Canin , Nutro. etc..
I have been comparing protein content and fat content.
But my decision with any of my pet food is usually based on the first 4 ingredients.

Any other suggestions....greatly appreciated!

Thanks BG
Old November 20th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Senior Contributor

For neutered male cats (I'm assuming yours will be neutered) canned food should make up the bulk of the diet, if you want to avoid crystals, stones and other urinary tract problems.

For cats, just about any canned food is better than any dry.
Old November 20th, 2005, 07:21 PM

However, if your cat doesn't eat wet food (mine, current and past, refuse to eat it!) kibble, of the non-grocery store variety will keep them healthy as well (but probably not as healthy).

Pringles is going on 8 years, and my brothers cat, who resides with my parents is going on 15, both are healthy, have great teeth and shiny coats, aren't fat and have lived their lives eating kibble (and the odd mouse).
Old November 21st, 2005, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the responses so far!
My only concern with soft food (canned food) is .....too soft 'a stool
Seriously though, I'm concerned with how he will do with canned food. Bengals have sensitive digestive tract, perhaps alittle prone to diarrhea. My breeder said he likes chicken breast so we tried some last night.....oh my..that was the only thing we have done different since he came to me and what a mess. The poor little guy made a mess of his litter box, on his tail, his foot...good thing bengals like water. He NEEDED a bath. poor thing.
Now I'm worried about him having anything but his kibbles.
Any thoughts?

Thanks BG
Old November 21st, 2005, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Innova is an excellent kibble, not sure if they do one for kittens. It is entirely natural, no crap. Nature's Balance is also good, although my cats went off it for some reason. Both quite expensive.

You could try adding water to the kibble if you're worried about liquid intake but don't want to feed canned. You could also mix in a couple of spoonfuls of the canned with the kibble.

He's very young to be switching his food too abruptly, any change should be gradual, mixing in the old with the new and reducing it over time.

PS Chicken by itself wouldn't provide enough nutrition.
Old November 21st, 2005, 11:09 AM

Wet food shouldn't be harder to digest than dry. The main thing would be to avoid things that cats can't digest like fillers (i.e. corn) or just extra crap that has no nutrients (i.e. brewer's rice, etc).
Old November 21st, 2005, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalGirl
I'm not looking for the most expensive food available, just high quality food that is READILY available.
In my area this includes: IAMS Eukanuba (has been recommended- not great though) SCIENCE DIET , Royal Canin , Nutro. etc..
I have been comparing protein content and fat content.
But my decision with any of my pet food is usually based on the first 4 ingredients.

Any other suggestions....greatly appreciated!

Thanks BG

Of the brands you mentioned Royal Canin and Nutro are probably the best of the bunch in that class of food. Another good option is Acana. Acana has human grade ingredients for a fairly good price. It's what we feed our dogs and cats.

Another cost conscious choice but quality are the Diamond brands at Costco. Nutranuggets and the Kirkland Signature store brand.

Last edited by Gazoo; November 21st, 2005 at 11:55 AM.