Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 30th, 2010, 04:05 PM

Unhappy i am so sad

my little 1 and a half cavalier pup had surgery to remove obstruction and part of her intestine on thursday 29 april 2010 at 12pm.She only weighs 5kgs.I have been told to expect the worst...she survived the night but she vomitted today 30 april at mid day..they have introduced food but i dont know if she has eaten any yet..my poor little pup xxxx...please help if you have experienced anything like this with your pets i need infomation....i am so worried.......i dont know what her chances are or what she should be like at this stage... the vets are good but just keep saying shes not out of the woods.....
Old April 30th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

debbie,I have no advice,we can only hope that your little pup will be ok
She might be stronger than you think and put up a good fight for her mom
Old May 1st, 2010, 10:02 AM

Unhappy my little daisy pup

i was told that she pood and had a wee this morning and then later told that she vomitted and is very poorly again.one minute you are relieved coz your told shes improving and then heart broken coz she might not make it.....i saw her today for 5mins and she looks sooooo sad but she tried to get on my lap .... my tummy is in a knot with worry...
Old May 1st, 2010, 12:29 PM

I'm so sorry to read that your pup is so poorly, I hope she makes a full and speedy recovery.

Just wanted to say that one of my dogs had an intestinal blockage removed approx 6 weeks ago, he had eaten one of my other dogs leather collar and was vomiting........... he was very ill.......... the vet removed 13 inches of collar from his intestines.......after the op we brought him home as our vet thought that he would recover faster at home with us....... but we couldn't get him to eat or drink. In desperation I force fed him water from a syringe.......we still couldn't get him to eat though even if it was liquidised in a blender so again in desperation I gave him some scrambled egg which he ate after a lot of coaxing.

He did vomit a couple of times but after a couple of meals he managed to keep his food down.

Recovery was slow at first but once he started eating properly he got well again...... I hope with all my heart that this will be the case with your dog too.

Kim xxx
Old May 1st, 2010, 12:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Recovery always seems to drag, especially right after surgery, and the first few days are always so stressful

Best wishes for Daisy, debbiestach

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:17 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Vomiting is not unusual after intestinal surgery and neither are the ups and downs. If the vets are giving her food and if she is keeping some of her food down, that is a good sign.

Sending lots of your way.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:30 PM

Unhappy little daisy

Thank you for all your best wishes for daisy.....i spoke to the nurse at the vets and he said that daisy vomitted again and is still flat.....vet might try her on a little food tomorrow......please let her get better.....
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:42 PM
-

Debbie, welcome to the forum but so sorry to hear about Daisy.

I'm sure she will recover but it will be slowly since her intestines will be quite sore. One of my previous sibes was 10 yr old and had a 4 inch tumour removed from his intestines which were sewn back together. He was kept at the vet for several days and fed intravenously. He ate a little on his own just before he left there but when he got home he wouldn't eat at all. We ended up having to force feed him for a couple of days until he finally started eating on his own and he recovered quickly after that.

Sending lots of good wishes for Daisy and keep us posted.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 03:41 PM

fingers crossed for Daisy

I went to see daisy today and hand fed her a little fish which she liked.She seemed a little better[ a little is better than not] i was told if she holds down her food overnight she might cime home tomorrow i was wondering if any one else has been through this and any advice on how to pick daisy [how to lift her] or what to feed her [is fish ok has it got enogh vitamins] how long was recovery and can our little pets live a normal life after.....she is not out of the woods yet but thank you for all your best wishes and good thoughts for daisy....please keep good thoughts for her....
Old May 3rd, 2010, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

You know,everyone here is keeping for your little girl
She might have more of an appetite once she's home with you.
Old May 5th, 2010, 04:13 AM

daisy is home xxxx

thank you all for your advice and good wishes xx
Daisy is home YEAH she has got anti biotics but no pain killers.Please could i have any advice on how to lift her and how much can she walk around after this type of surgery,how long will it take for her intestines to start healing inside.......and what is her life going to be like after loosing quite alot of her intestine.....we are not out of the woods yet but we are getting there xxx
Old May 5th, 2010, 06:57 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't know much about this kind of thing,but I am happy Daisy is home
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So glad to hear that Daisy's home, Debbie!!

Did the vet send home any post-op instructions? We've had intestinal surgeries done on dogs, but the dogs were all bigger than Daisy so I'm not sure how we would have lifted them. The vet should be able to answer all your questions if you call him, though.

for Daisy's quick recovery!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."