Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old February 11th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Wheaten Terrier

I'm trying to do some research on soft coated wheaten terriers, and am having a very hard time finding places to discuss wheatens with their actual owners!! What better place than here?

I am looking at getting (hopefully rescue) a wheaten. But I wanted to make sure this breed was right for me before jumping into it. I won't be ready for one 'til this summer, anyway.

I've heard a few things about their personality, but it's hard to judge what they're truly like from websites trying to describe a breed. When it says they have a "slight problem with jumping," what exactly do they mean?

Are they rough with people and other animals? For example, I'll have a young maltese who is expected to weigh no more than ~7 lbs when fully grown, and I want to make sure the wheaten will not be too rough with him. My main reason for getting a 2nd dog is because I want them to have each other when I am gone. (I'm working on a major.)

I want a good companion for Stanley (my maltese), want a dog that will not shed (at least not very much), and will be great indoors. If anyone has a suggestion for another breed that would go great with Stanley, let me know! I want to have a medium sized dog, but that make not work out with stanley being so small.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Old February 11th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Rottie owner and lover

wouldn't it be a better thing to wait until your puppy is a bit older. Once training has been worked on for a long while, and house breaking issues have past. Build a bond through training with your first puppy before bringing a new one home
Old February 11th, 2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottielover View Post
wouldn't it be a better thing to wait until your puppy is a bit older. Once training has been worked on for a long while, and house breaking issues have past. Build a bond through training with your first puppy before bringing a new one home
Well, I'm going to wait as long as i can, but the main factor here is that I have this summer off from school, and will be home most of the time. I want to be able to dedicate as much time to the new puppy as possible.
Old February 11th, 2008, 04:26 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Check out Yahoo Groups

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/SoftCoatedWheatens/

I joined this group in 2003 when I was adopted by a "wheatable". Had no idea what to do with a terrier since I had only had my very calm golden since 2001.

This group was invaluable with all the information they share and it is linked to a wheaten rescue in the states. There is a vet with 30 yrs experience on the mailing list that specializes in wheatens who will share all kinds of information too. I would suggest you lurking around there for a bit and see what others have to say before you get either a wheaten or "wheatable" (their term for a mixed breed! lol)

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old February 11th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't have a Wheaten but I sure know what the jumping comment means - Wheatens CAN JUMP - AND DO! I have seen one in action at my dog's once a week socialization - that dog can jump pretty darned high! A fellow my husband works with has 2 - both jumpers. So far his dogs have not developed pancreatitis - they are quite young - but it is a ailment comment to the breed as I understand it.
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/SoftCoatedWheatens/

I joined this group in 2003 when I was adopted by a "wheatable". Had no idea what to do with a terrier since I had only had my very calm golden since 2001.

This group was invaluable with all the information they share and it is linked to a wheaten rescue in the states. There is a vet with 30 yrs experience on the mailing list that specializes in wheatens who will share all kinds of information too. I would suggest you lurking around there for a bit and see what others have to say before you get either a wheaten or "wheatable" (their term for a mixed breed! lol)

Good luck and keep us posted.
Thank you so so much for the link!! Google wasn't being very helpful, and I wasn't sure where else to turn.
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Senior Contributor

My dads neighbour has a Wheaten.Tonka is the most loveable dog.He is great with other dogs and loves kids,they have a 2 year old.Tonka also loves playing with my GSD.

I've been told by Gary that the jumping is what they call a Wheaten welcome.Something to do with this being their way of greeting people.

Quote:
but the main factor here is that I have this summer off from school, and will be home most of the time. I want to be able to dedicate as much time to the new puppy as possible.
Just wanted to comment on this.

My suggestion to you is,make sure this pup has some time to him/herself.Your off for the summer,spend time with this pup,then all of a sudden it's back to school.Then pup doesn't have you around.Sometimes this is how seperation anxiety happens.And it won't matter that you have Stanley.It will be the human contact that the pup will crave.....Hope that made sense.
Old February 11th, 2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
My dads neighbour has a Wheaten.Tonka is the most loveable dog.He is great with other dogs and loves kids,they have a 2 year old.Tonka also loves playing with my GSD.

I've been told by Gary that the jumping is what they call a Wheaten welcome.Something to do with this being their way of greeting people.

Just wanted to comment on this.

My suggestion to you is,make sure this pup has some time to him/herself.Your off for the summer,spend time with this pup,then all of a sudden it's back to school.Then pup doesn't have you around.Sometimes this is how seperation anxiety happens.And it won't matter that you have Stanley.It will be the human contact that the pup will crave.....Hope that made sense.
It makes perfect sense! It's a good point too. I'll be sure to leave him alone enough when he's learning so that he'll get used to it. Separation anxiety is definitely something I'm going to have to work to avoid. But on the good side, when school does start, all my classes fall so that I'm never gone an entire day at once.
Old February 11th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Preplanning makes success

I am currently hoping my foster pups get adopted by lady whose 12-yr old wheaten passed away from cancer about 6 months ago. She says they definitely DO jump- not necessarily on you, just jump in general- and are well known for the "wheaten greetin' " . She says there's nothing quite like coming home to a dog who is so thrilled to greet you that he'll jump up to eye level a few times to say hello.

If you DO continue to look into the wheaten terriers, this is a rescue in Kansas dedicated to wheatens that she sent me.

http://www.wheatenterrierrescue.org/AdoptionPage.html

Some of their stories are heartbreaking, but they're all such sweethearts its KINDA hard to say no
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbons View Post
I am currently hoping my foster pups get adopted by lady whose 12-yr old wheaten passed away from cancer about 6 months ago. She says they definitely DO jump- not necessarily on you, just jump in general- and are well known for the "wheaten greetin' " . She says there's nothing quite like coming home to a dog who is so thrilled to greet you that he'll jump up to eye level a few times to say hello.

If you DO continue to look into the wheaten terriers, this is a rescue in Kansas dedicated to wheatens that she sent me.

http://www.wheatenterrierrescue.org/AdoptionPage.html

Some of their stories are heartbreaking, but they're all such sweethearts its KINDA hard to say no
Wow.. my hometown is actually 30 mins from the Kansas border! I'll have to look into that.