Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old May 1st, 2005, 12:56 AM

Unhappy help! new cat member w/ matted fur!

hello,
I am new to the chat scene and am in desperate help of ridding my cat of his matted fur. i don't really know how this happened except that with the birth of my baby girl : I haven't brushed his fur in nearly a year.

i tried to comb/brush it out and even shampooed him w/ pet shampoo to no avail!

other than cutting certain spots off, is there any help for me and my cat?!

thank you
Old May 1st, 2005, 01:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Matts can actually be quite painful for a cat. If he'll let you, and there are not too many, I would cut them out. Bathing won't do it and too much will dry out his skin. Does he have a very long coat? If there are lots of matts and he is difficult to handle, it might be a good idea to have him professionally groomed. And after that, regular brushing!
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:10 AM
Senior Contributor

I suggest having your cat professionaly groomed. There are places that specialize in this - I watched a cat being groomed while waiting for my dog. Not a sight I am likely to forget - and sure wouldn't have wanted to be the one doing it - long haired cat. The matted fur will definitely have to be cut out. If you do it your self dress accordingly and watch out for those scissors.
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:30 AM

Matts can also be dangerous ... if they are closely attached at the skin and are not taken care of, apparently the skin underneath can start to rot
Take your cat to either a groomer or call your vet to see if they will do it ... if the matt is close to the skin, do not try to cut it or you may end up cutting into the skin. Your vet or groomer will have to shave the matting off.
The key to preventing this is brushing/combing regularly and if you notice a matt starting, cut it off asap before it gets too bad. Your vet or groomer may also suggest a particular comb that is good at getting matts out when they are manageable.
Old May 1st, 2005, 08:57 AM

I had to remove a matt from my cat once and it took about an hour for one matt. I was literally cutting one hair at a time, so as not to cut her skin. I suggest getting them taken out by a professional groomer or vet.
Old May 1st, 2005, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

The worst thing you can do with a matted animal is bathe it. As everyone said, take it to a vet and have it shaved down.
Old May 1st, 2005, 12:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree- btahing the cat will make t worse. Take her to a vet or groomer to start and then learn how to groom her, Long hair kitties like Persians require a lot of work (tho I am discovering sphynxes are almost as much - tho I'll take them any day, lol). I just read about a woman in England who rescued a Persian and it took the goomer at least 8 hrs to get out all the matts - poor baby! Good luck!!
Old May 1st, 2005, 03:02 PM
Kitty Consort

Yes to all of the above - bathing a matted cat is a disaster - makes it MUCH worse. :sad:
I too would reccomend a professional at this point..I dont think you will be able to successfully get rid of these matts yourself.
A word of caution too.... its VERY easy to cut them... their skin is paper-thin.(been there,done that.) If you do attempt yourself.. make sure you keep your fingers between the skin and the fur. A matt too close to the skin simply cannot be cut out... its impossible. Shaving is the only answer.

Not sure how long the fur is on your kitty, but my persians both require daily combings..and in just one week can become a matted mess.( found this out on holiday once)

Once you get the problem fixed, regular combing at least a few times a week with a wide-toothed METAL comb should avoid a repeat.
If small matts appear.. try pulling them apart gently with yours fingers...then combing though.

The secret with all long haired matting type fur is to "nip in the bud".
If it gets past "the point of no return" the cat will be feeliing uncomfortable and miserable, possibly even in pain.

Good luck with this!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Mats cause hot spots

I would definitely take the cat to a groomer to be shaved. I have seen what happens to a dog's skin if a mat is too close and allows a hot spot to build up - it's not pretty! There is also a grooming device that is specially made to get rid of mats - I can't remember what it's called, but it looks like a small rake and the tines are all sharpened so that it cuts through the mat a little at a time. I found this one for cats that you might want to look at for the future. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...30&N=2002+2015
Old July 22nd, 2005, 08:35 PM

Thumbs up thanks for all of ya'lls support

i just wanted to say thank you to everyone who offered their support and advice. i panicked after posting my request, went online to seek advice and found out that cutting or professional grooming were my only option. I choose to cut my Tigger's fur myself. I am proud to say i placed my finger between the skin and fur and, with my husband's reluctant assistance, successully removed the matts after about 1 &1/2 hours of work. i got a couple of scratches but was fine.

i am a new mom, now nine month old beautiful girl :love: and simply got caught up in my baby. by the time i had realized Tigg' hadn't been groomed, it was too late.

i now brush him regulary. P.S. i wish i had know of this spot before my daughter's arrival. All is well, but could have used some advice on introducing my baby to the cat.

oh well, we are all one big happy now

thanks again,
tiggerlilly
Old July 22nd, 2005, 09:39 PM
-

As a mat forms it twists and pulls up the skin into the mat. It can cause infection because there is no air going through. Dirt builds up causing bacteria to grow. You are VERY lucky you didn't cut through the skin. If you can remove it by using brushes and combs w/o causing pain, do so. Use a soft slicker, a fine comb, a flea comb to separate the hairs once you remove the knot and a mat breaker which is bladed on one side. It cuts through the mat and then you use the other tools to brush it out. This is very time consuming so be patient. If you don't think you can brush it out, have it shaved out with grooming clippers. Whatever you do, don't take that chance and try cutting it out with scissors if it is close to the skin. The only way you can is by sliding the comb under the mat so that there is a barrier to protect the skin, cut between the comb and mat, not skin and comb. This last option is really not suggested.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

My Rocky,a shorthair Tabby,developed matts,the vet got most of them,but I went out and bought an excellent matt-comb and got the others out myself,I don't know why he got that way,never happened before,but now I comb him regularly,Hubby will cuddle his head and I'll do the combing.
Holding on to the skin,just like when you comb out a tangle on yourself,will ease the discomfort on the cat.