Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old December 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Kitty dominance

Things are getting a bit out of control here, I have 4 male cats and 2 females.
Moxy is the odd man out around my house, perhaps cause he was the last to join the "pack" anyways, things have been alright fighting wise.
There have always been little squabbles here and there, but now Mme.Fuzzer is really not liking Mox. She hunts him down and attacks Oliver then gets involved and there is chaos all night... Mox is really on edge lately so i have been keeping them (Mox and Fuzzer) seperated, alternating play time and social time. Things have been a bit more peaceful but Oliver still is "eyeing" Moxer alot.
I usually dont intervene with their "natural squabbles" but these ones i have to. Even thought ALL their nails are kept very short ( for the sake of my couch and themselves as well) I dont want them to start biting each other and hurting each other.
Any suggestions??? I think that im gonna have to start alternating Fuzz AND Oliver with Mox. Cause as long as the other 2 arent around him no one bothers moxy and he carries on with his snuggle time as though nothing is wrong, he is great with the others.
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:39 AM

I have a similar problem with my two cats. In fact, I had a nightmare last night that one of them was severely injured by the other and had to go to the ER, yikes! Hopefully that never happens. I think what you are planning to do will probably help. Otherwise, if you don't have something like a cat tree, you might consider getting one of those (or building one if you are handy - much cheaper that way). Mine tend to stay out of each other's way unless one is in the mood for being bossy, but they do seem to enjoy having high up places to retreat/rest/lookout. When the weather is nice, I sometimes let one or both of them outside as it seems to help their stress. btw - my yard is fenced in w/ a 6' privacy fence and they are closely supervised while out there! If at all possible give them more room to roam.
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:54 AM
cat slave

wow...that's no fun.
so are they all spayed/neutered??...hehe j/k

I really don't know what to suggest, I had the same problem when Peanut first came to live here but things eventually smoothed out. Perhaps with time Moxy will be accepted
Or maybe they're jealous cos he's a momma's boy and he just wants to cuddle

good thing that their nails are trimmed to avoid severe injuries.
Old December 10th, 2006, 12:07 PM

I have two males and mine fight, but because I have kids in the house it's really not safe for them to be clawing at each other, so I just make myself heard, I say, "hey, no fighting in My house." Sometimes I have to make sure that one of them can find somewhere to be away from each other.

I would say giving them somewhere to be alone is a good idea. I used a piece of board, and made a pillow on the top of it, then attached it to this silly board that's across my window, you could just put it onto the window sill. I hope I explained that well enough. I also salvaged a long piece of carpet from a place where they just put in new carpet, and I just put it under their food dishes it extends all the way across the back door, and they use it for scratching and morning stretches.

They also have their own perches, so that perch that I just told you about, is Slim's, and the seat of the couch is Biff's, the top of the couch is Slims, and the seats of the kitchen chairs are Biff's. They seem to have divided up their places on their own, so maybe if you give them extra cubby holes, and cushy seats, they'll get along better. I had to use catnip to get Slim to use his perch, but he loves to look out the window now.

Good luck

Last edited by papillonmama; December 10th, 2006 at 12:10 PM.