Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 4th, 2004, 06:43 PM

How to give a dog a bath?

Okay, like most dogs, Molly absolutely hates the bath! She panics, desperately tries to escape, whimpers and whines so strongly you would think that she was being tortured

With it being so mucky out, I was looking for some advice or suggestions as to how to make it a little easier on the both of us.

So, she's okay when you are soaping her up but the worst part is when you pour water over her body to get her wet and then when washing her off. Then she completely freaks out. I don't ever get her head wet and I am very calm and gentle with her but it is such a painful experience for us both that I wonder if there was a way to make it easier. I mean, there HAS to be a way, right?
Old April 4th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you have a non-slip mat in the tub for her? I don't use one, but it might make your dog's bath easier.

What tempature of water are you using on her? It could be too hot, or too cold, which would make it uncomfortable for her. Test the water with the back of your wrist before pouring it over her.

What type of dog is she? It might make a difference.

Try bathing her with her collar on. If she starts to get excited, take hold of her collar, and calm her down.

Removing any shower curtains, soap, and anything that looks like it might scare her might be a good idea also.
Old April 4th, 2004, 07:30 PM
owned by Tucker

Could you use a hand held sprayer in your tub, might be less stressfull on her.
Old April 4th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Mocha and Oscar's mommy

I have a dog just like her, doesn't mind being soaped up but the sound of water running over him then hitting the water in the tub makes him panic. First I use a towel in the bottom of the tub to stop him from slipping (works better then a slip-proof mat if you hate them like I do and hate hanging them somewhere to dry) and
I also started putting him in and letting the tub fill up with him in it, for some reason he seems to be getting used to the sound of water and is a little calmer.
I also went to the dollar store and for $2 picked up a hose that attaches to the faucet, the water comes out like a watering can and is pretty gentle so there isn't much noise.
This might sound funny but I bought a water toy and I put it in the tub with him, he only gets in during bath time, he concentrates on watching the toy bob up and down and lately has begun pawing it...it gives me enough time to soap him up, and rinse him off.
Old April 4th, 2004, 07:56 PM

Really great ideas CJ, . I love the toy idea.
Old April 4th, 2004, 08:04 PM
owned by Tucker

Talking

Is it a rubber ducky. LOL
Old April 4th, 2004, 08:06 PM
Mocha and Oscar's mommy

I tried a duck, he ate the head...he is a hunter LOL
I use a street hockey ball, 97 cents at walmart
Old April 4th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

OH, I can relate! My dog LOVES to wade through icy streams up to her belly, but the bathtub is another thing!

As soon as I bring my dog into the bathroom, she hits the floor like she's been shot and STICKS to it. Passive resistance is her thing.

Once I get her front end in (not easy - she's 70lbs) she gives up and hops in, but the whole time she looks like she's being beaten although she never struggles.Sooooo pitiful!

I use a hand held shower attachment. I put a towel in the bottom of the tub and do not put any water in.

As soon as she gets out, I give her a treat. She HATES having a bath, but really likes having HAD a bath and gets the "zoomies" as soon as she gets out. I guess it's relief that the torture is over!
Old April 5th, 2004, 07:26 AM
owned by Tucker

My last dog Travis was good with baths you just told him to get in and he would (if he was in a good mood or you would have to chase him around the house a little). He didn't like the water running when he was in there, so we ran the tub before. I glad he did like the tub because he weighed 120 lbs, couldn't lift him in fighting. One time my husband was running the bath for himself and I jokingly told Travis it was bath time, about 5 min later my husband goes into the bathroom guess who was waiting in the tub? My husband said this bath isn't for you, didn't take long for him to get out.Ha HA
Old April 5th, 2004, 05:09 PM

Wow - thanks so much for those great suggestions! Giving Molly a bath is just so painful that it makes me laugh because she is so funny about it...and that does not help the attitude of a sucky puppy I know

I have bathed dogs who are scared but who would just do the same thing - drop to the ground and refuse to move but Molly will scratch my eyes out to make it stop!! Good idea about the collar, normally I take it off before she gets in the bath but it sure would help to have something to grab onto when while she's flailing around.

The thing is though, she gets so panic-stricken I can't seem to find anyway to calm her. I feel like I have tried everything but nothing makes it any easier on her (or me!) - I have used a handheld shower, poured water over her gently with a container, filling the bathtub before she gets in, while she is in the tub, just letting the tap run, giving her treats during and after the bath but nothing calms her down. I could try the toy idea and see how that goes - even just to see Molly in the bath with a rubber ducky! How cute

She isn't afraid of the bathroom or the tub and the running water doesn't seem to bother her at all if she is in there just hanging around. Maybe she just hates the water? She's too young to have be taken out into the water yet to swin but maybe that is part of the problem?
Old April 6th, 2004, 08:39 AM
banned user

another hint put a towel on the tub edge. A lot of dogs had the finish on the tub both in and out. The towel let's them have grip and not see the shinny surface.