Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old June 20th, 2008, 12:08 PM

Choosing a Breeder

As a pet owner I have made mistakes...my first puppy I bought from a pet store:sad: 15 years I was walking through the mall and saw this chocolate lab in the window of course the store owner asked me if I would like to hold him, BIG MISTAKE as I whip out a visa card and buy him...I was very lucky with Dylan(as for sure he was from an American puppy mill)
he was a great family pet and if someone brings him up in conversation I still end up in tears 3 years after his passing.
So this time I went through a "breeder". CKC said he had 14 years in good standing with them. (what exactly does this mean)
Since bringing my dog to classes I have heard so much more like for example with Labs...if you want a sporting Lab, Hunting Lab, family pet ect that you need the right breeder. My breeder happened to Hunt so Guinness comes from a long line of Hunting Labs and boy does he require a heck of a lot more exercise and work.
Old June 20th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I will assume that the Canadian Kennel Club is very much like the American Kennel Club to answer your question. I know many Canadian dog people who are active in many areas of the show world and have yet to have one indicate that there are any major differences.

Anyway.

The kennel clubs are really nothing more then a record keeping business that keeps track of the family trees (if you will) of dogs. They do this by charging breeders to register their dogs and the puppies that their dogs have. So far as I know, all that is required to be a member of good standing is to pay your registration fees, not let the checks bounce and keep anyone from accusing you of registering your dogs wrong. (Listing a different father then the actual father - stuff like that.)

As for the difference between sporting labs, hunting labs and pet labs - much is a matter of temperment. A dog that comes from parents who are very active and "work" for a living is more likely to be active and need a job. The REALLY important thing when choosing a breeder has been mentioned on the forum several times - it is important that parents are titled to show that they fit the breed standard, genetic testing should be done on parents to assure that the puppies have the best chance to be physically sound as humanly possible and much attention should be paid to proper feeding, socialization and training. If all of these things are in place then you look at temperments so far as prey drive, work ethic, etc.
Old June 20th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

I agree with LavenderRott about the CKC. I have known of breeders that have listed with the CKC for years, are in good standing with them but I would never purchase from them.

It is very hard to find a good breeder. The best is through word of mouth. In my estimation, once you have purchased the dog, you just do your best to give it a good home with a happy balance.
Old June 20th, 2008, 01:30 PM

The reputable breeders I know are open with their customer list so that prospective buyers can call and ask questions before making their choice. When my dad was breeding and training hunting labs, he would always make a house call to see where "his" dog was going to be raised before he'd agree to sell it. Not sure anyone does that anymore.
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
The kennel clubs are really nothing more then a record keeping business that keeps track of the family trees (if you will) of dogs. They do this by charging breeders to register their dogs and the puppies that their dogs have. So far as I know, all that is required to be a member of good standing is to pay your registration fees, not let the checks bounce and keep anyone from accusing you of registering your dogs wrong. (Listing a different father then the actual father - stuff like that.)
It is a record keeping service that keeps track of more than family trees. It tracks health records of all studs and dams, prevents inbreeding and passing along of genetic disorders such as displaysia and eye disease. the registry is there to make sure that when you're purchasing a purebred dog that you get a HEALTHY purebred dog.

I didn't realize all that was involved with having a registered purebred dog until i got one.

I was able to trace my own labs pedigrees back to before labs were a recognized breed. My boys come from a very long line of Show Champions and Hunters.
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Bella View Post
It is a record keeping service that keeps track of more than family trees. It tracks health records of all studs and dams, prevents inbreeding and passing along of genetic disorders such as displaysia and eye disease. the registry is there to make sure that when you're purchasing a purebred dog that you get a HEALTHY purebred dog.

I didn't realize all that was involved with having a registered purebred dog until i got one.

I was able to trace my own labs pedigrees back to before labs were a recognized breed. My boys come from a very long line of Show Champions and Hunters.
The only way the registries track health records is if the breeder submits the results from the proper certification organization. They don't go and check to make sure that these certifications are given. They do nothing to prevent inbreeding and they certainly do allow the passing along of genetic disorders.

I won't speak about the Canadian Kennel Club - I live in the U.S. and have no experience with them - but I can tell you that there has been a big push by the AKC to get pet shop puppies registered with AKC to increase the money coming in. This means that commercial breeders (ie - puppy mills) are able to register their puppies so long as the adults are AKC registered.

I know of a very large rottweiler/doberman kennel in Pennsylvania. They are very "well known". And anyone who is serious about rottweilers or dobermans knows that they knowing breed dysplastic dogs. All of their dogs are AKC registered and have "championship" pedigrees.

There is nothing more involved in registering your dog then picking a name and sending in a check. I know. I have two.
Old June 25th, 2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Bella View Post
The CKC does not keep track of anything to do with health records/genetic disorders etc. and it does not prevent inbreeding either. They register dogs and keep track of nothing but pedigrees and CKC titles (conformation, obedience, tracking etc.).

Individual breed clubs often keep databases like what you are referring to, but a CKC registration does not have anything to do with whether you are getting a healthy well-bred dog or not.