Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 6th, 2003, 09:00 PM

Angry Dog Keeps Peeing on the Bed

I have two shizu dogs, Mookie who is almost 4 and Minxie who is 1 1/2. In the last 6 months Minxie has started to pee on my bed. She will do this on any bed she encounters. I have no idea why and she has never done this before but no matter what I do to discipline her or to prevent it, anytime she is alone and gets a chance, she will pee on any bed. Once she even peed on it when I was sleeping on it. She has previously been very good and let me know when she wants to go outside or has peed on her pee mat when if it was in the middle of the night ( I live in a condo so I can't let them out in the middle of the night).
Any ideas why she might be doing this?

Thnx!
Old September 7th, 2003, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

And sudden behavior changes, such as loss of housetraining in a previously reliable dog, should be checked out at the vet. Your dog could have a urinary tract infection.

If she checks out fine at the vet, then you need to get a crate or pen and keep her in it when you can't supervise her. Or you can attach her leash to your belt and make sure she is never out of your sight as you move around the house.

Start all over with her as you would with an unhousebroken puppy. Take her out after meals, naps or playtimes. Praise enormously when she pees outside.

Wash your bedding in something like Oxy-clean to get odours out, and keep her out of the bedroom until she again becomes reliable.
Old September 7th, 2003, 11:19 AM

thanks so much for your advice. I am going in on Monday to the Vet and see what he says.

Thnx!