Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 9th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Looking for a place for feral cats for re-location

Odd question right? Well long story short: DS has been feeding 2 ferals that have been recently operated (actually one already was) and feline AIDS and leukemia tested negative including all vaccinations. She did not take my advice, and tried to domesticate them which I knew was not possible. Needless to say, many bahaviours later, she cannot do it as these cats will not accept being indoors at all. They destroy out of fear.

So now I am trying to find a legal place where cats can be re-located (if that even exists). These cats cannot stay where they are as there are threats that they will 'disappear' (I can't even imagine). Now I know that these cats if re-located will have one tough time due to the colonies that they must intergrate into and it is no walk in the park for them. In all honesty, I don't even know if there is such a location for these cats but I needed to ask regardless.

Anyone know of anything?
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:48 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What a tough situation. Where were the cats trapped? Is it possible they can be released back to that area with little danger to them? That is what is normally done with ferals. Other than that the only suggestion I have is a farm that is willing to take them or a large sanctuary. I don't know if there are any in your area.
Notice I said "large" sanctuary. I just don't have a big enough area to introduce two more toms without major fighting.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 9th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
What a tough situation. Where were the cats trapped? Is it possible they can be released back to that area with little danger to them? That is what is normally done with ferals. Other than that the only suggestion I have is a farm that is willing to take them or a large sanctuary. I don't know if there are any in your area.
Notice I said "large" sanctuary. I just don't have a big enough area to introduce two more toms without major fighting.
They have since this morning been released where she trapped them however this is a temporary solution for the time being. One is definately a big tom but at some point he was owned by someone. He will not let anyone else touch him but her. He was already fixed. The female actually is a bigger problem. No one can approach her. She is not workable.

What if my DS released in her area? Would this work. Mind you, there is one feral that she is feeding in her new home now. This could get a little ugly. Your thoughts and advice is very welcomed. Thanks.
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:15 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Yes, it is a difficult situation. If they have been released the female probably won't be able to be trapped again to move her. As hard as it seems that may be the best thing for her. If she is not welcome in the area by other cats she may move on. Seeing as she has been fixed at least she is not adding to the kitten population.
In my sanctuary most of the cats live peacefully. The ones that don't get along with the others but are in general population usually find an area they call their own. This girl may well find herself that little area that she feels safe in. Especially if she came from there originally. She probably already has "her" spots. Moving her to an area closer to your DS may cause many more problems to the kitty. She may try to get back to her home. We know that normally ends badly.
When she was fixed was her ear tipped? That usually means to other rescues and shelters that she has been spayed and/or is being looked after and they leave her alone.

Do we have any members in the area that live on a farm and may be willing to take her on? She is probably an excellent mouser which seems to be #1 priority to most farmers.

Sorry if I'm rambling. I have to go out for a while. I will see if I can think of anything else and add it later.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I have done so much reading on this subject and was hoping to find something that appeased 'us' I guess. I worry about both cat's existance really.

I am going to search for a farm. I am consulting with alot of other cat rescue organizations as someone may have something...somewhere.

What a horrible situation.. And to boot, me being in rescue and not having answers to this one. This really has hit home.
Old September 9th, 2010, 02:34 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I have done so much reading on this subject and was hoping to find something that appeased 'us' I guess. I worry about both cat's existance really.
I am going to search for a farm. I am consulting with alot of other cat rescue organizations as someone may have something...somewhere.
What a horrible situation.. And to boot, me being in rescue and not having answers to this one. This really has hit home.
It is a very difficult situation. I also have done much reading on ferals and relocation. I too have the problem with not being able to do anything. I have released a few that I have had fixed and never see them again. I'm assuming (because I don't want to think of the alternative) they went back to where they came from and, because they no longer feel the need to roam, they are happy staying in that area. That is what all the "experts" in the feral field say anyway. Fix them and they stay at home. I've also released a few and had them come back. Taz and Spare Cat made themselves at home in the catuary with my other kitties by climbing the fence. I have four or five in there that are feral enough I can't touch them. I can get within a foot or so of them and they bolt. That's ok because I know they are safe.
It sucks trying to rescue as many as you can and not being able to save them all. But, as some wise woman told me once, we can only do what we can do. Remember that?
Ideally being released back into familiar territory is the best thing for them. The farm would be a second choice if the area they are currently in is a danger to them. Just my thoughts.

Old September 9th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=14+kitties;950610]But, as some wise woman told me once, we can only do what we can do. Remember that?
QUOTE]

Yes. Thanks for all your assistance 14+K. So much appreciated.
Old September 9th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

BenMax,what a sad situation to be in,I know you will do all you can,but there is always a limit,even for someone like you
I don't know what DS stands for,but could she not continue to feed them as before,or is it there where the danger to the cats is lurking?
Old September 9th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Senior Contributor

BenMax, any time you relocate any cat, the chance of them finding any sense of welcome is non-existent. These cat like any other who are thrown into colonies every first of July have to fight to stay in and some just don't make it.
IIf you find a farm that will take them then they have to stay within an enclosed area so that they can get use to the scent.
This is a tough situation.
I am dealing with one similar situation where a lady has been feeding 2 cats for 10 years and now she must move....leaving the cats behind to fend for themselves. Sometimes Love kills. Sometimes people should just leave ferals alone to fend for themselves regardless of how short their lives will be.
I hate relocating...does not work as well as people usually think. cats are very territorial.
I wish I could help.
Old September 10th, 2010, 06:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
BenMax, any time you relocate any cat, the chance of them finding any sense of welcome is non-existent. These cat like any other who are thrown into colonies every first of July have to fight to stay in and some just don't make it.
IIf you find a farm that will take them then they have to stay within an enclosed area so that they can get use to the scent.
This is a tough situation.
I am dealing with one similar situation where a lady has been feeding 2 cats for 10 years and now she must move....leaving the cats behind to fend for themselves. Sometimes Love kills. Sometimes people should just leave ferals alone to fend for themselves regardless of how short their lives will be.
I hate relocating...does not work as well as people usually think. cats are very territorial.
I wish I could help.
I told her that about 2 years ago. She would not listen and now that she has moved, this has now come to light. I do not profess to have tons of experience in this area but I do have common sense. I wish that people who have love in their hearts for animals also used logic. In this case it was not done. I don't know why this is my problem now, but I cannot help but feel so helpless in trying to assist these poor innocent animals that were discarded in the first place.

I am at a complete loss right now but I will continue to try and find a solution...if there is one.
Old September 10th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

BenMax,I am really sorry you got involved in this sad situation,I know it will bother you to no end,especially when you are not able to help.
Old September 10th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Chico2. I will figure something out...
Old September 10th, 2010, 08:31 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
I told her that about 2 years ago. She would not listen and now that she has moved, this has now come to light. I do not profess to have tons of experience in this area but I do have common sense. I wish that people who have love in their hearts for animals also used logic. In this case it was not done. I don't know why this is my problem now, but I cannot help but feel so helpless in trying to assist these poor innocent animals that were discarded in the first place.

I am at a complete loss right now but I will continue to try and find a solution...if there is one.
How far away has she moved? Is she close enough to go feed the cats every day? Is there someone else she knows close by that could continue to feed the cats if she can't? Can she share the cost of this seeing as she is the one who started the "taming" process and should be feeling some sense of responsibility?
I know less than an ideal situation but the cats are back where they consider home. They will be content to stay as long as there is food and shelter available. Look at the way so many of mine stayed or came back. Is there a spot where a small shelter can be built? It wouldn't take much. I'll add a web site or two for you.
http://www.indyferal.org/index.php?page=shelters
http://www.coolest-cat-care.com/outd...t-shelter.html

You feel helpless my friend because you can't do more than you are. It kills you to hear these stories and know the real people responsible for the situation are not willing to do a little extra to help these cats. They know you are in rescue and figure you should be helping each and every animal that comes your way. You know realistically you can't but it still kills you. How do I know this? I feel the same way.